Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you made a baby quilt lately? >

Have you made a baby quilt lately?

Have you made a baby quilt lately?

Old 06-25-2010, 06:35 PM

I look for bright colors, jungle prints, bugs, frogs anything bright and fun. I also make them a little larger than the patterns call for so they can be used on the floor. I love the pastels and baby prints but they seem to outgrow them so fast. The last one I made was a jungle print with a brown background. I wasn't sure how it would turn out but the parents said it was their favorite!
Old 06-25-2010, 06:47 PM

You know, while I realize that a beautifully coordinated nursery is nice...it doesn't take long till the parents really don't care what matches....all that laundry, etc. I just recently purchased a baby blanket kit and it is very colorful and I think it does have jungle animals on it. I am going to make it and give it to the daughter of one of our custodian's at school. She just graduated HS and was to begin college in Aug. Baby is due in Sept. My custodian friend was devestated. Mama was a former student of mine from when I taught 2nd grade.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:57 PM

just finished a wholecloth for a baby girl. Did it in white and pink. It was just baby's initial. Very simple, but I think it turned out well.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-87088.jpe  
Old 06-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Kas

I like the bright colors, but probably not for the whole nursery. Too stimulating for the baby and therefore you have a fussy baby. Bright for clothes and floor quilts, but for bumper pads and sheets, soothing.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:34 AM
tmg

I am a mom but not of little ones. I just made a quilt for my mothers friend how is going to be a first time grandmother. The colors I used are pink, hot pink, green, gray and black, with butterflies on the main fabric the border also has butterflies on it. I also found out the mother to be has black furniture in the baby room. So I hope she will use it and like it.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:45 AM

These are the baby quilts I have made for my grands

For Dari ... 2 years ago
[ATTACH=CONFIG]87115[/ATTACH]

For Ari ... about a month ago
[ATTACH=CONFIG]87116[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-87110.jpe   attachment-87111.jpe  
Old 06-26-2010, 03:30 AM

I've made two recently - one was greens and taupe colors - not at all baby in my mind but those were the colors my niece wanted. The second one was a 3 bears panel; I used pink with bears for the first border and blue for the outer border, backing & binding.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Shiloh
Originally Posted by clem55
Old grandma here, and todays colors for babies just turn me off. I still prefer the softer colors for a new baby, I just think it suits them. I am ready to start making baby quilts to put back for great-grandbabies, whenever the time comes. For the two GD, I will make their quilts from clothing I"ve made for them in the past. For the three boys, I will probably use soft colors too. It seems funny thinking about making quilts to "put back", but I'm 71, and only two grandchildren are of the age to become parents, and there is a good chance I won't be around to see Greats from the younger ones, so this is my way of showing love for them when I'm not here. IS that being silly?
No, it's love. I plan on doing the same thing. I'm only 5 years behind you. Gerry
definitely LOVE...
Im 38, and am starting to gather fabrics to make baby quilts for grandchildren I will never see. They will be put away with letters to be given to my children, when they need them :D I want them to know they were loved, long before they were even a gleam in their parents eyes :D
Old 06-26-2010, 04:10 AM

I having done baby quilts but started quilting for the older grandchildren (I have a few) and my problem is the teen age boys .
what colors? what pattern? how big?
Old 06-26-2010, 04:20 AM

Hi, I have made a number of quilts...boys and girls. I used blue, green, aqua, yellow, and airplane for boy.. grandson is 5 months old. I have made pink, green, aqua/yellow, purple, and jungle for girl, due Oct. 4th. The boys nursery was Airplanes so I made the airplane quilt for him. The girls nursery is going to be a light blue and yellow. I did make a green froggy quilt for my great neice.