Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you made your dog or cat a quilt? >

Have you made your dog or cat a quilt?

Have you made your dog or cat a quilt?

Old 04-21-2010, 04:25 PM

Yes, zzyzx the cat had her own quilt. I made it with strips I won at a Guild meeting playing "Strip Poker"! Hardly any of them were the same size to start with, so I cut them all to match & made a Rail Fence. It stayed under her basket on my dresser. But she really preferred either my Wild Geese quilt or her fleece "sleeping bag" LOL
Old 04-21-2010, 05:10 PM

I made several of them and donated them to the hospital that treated our dog after she was injured. They had a sign in the waiting room requesting blankets and towels and I thought quilts would be more fun for the staff to see and use, so I made about 5 for the pets who had been injured. I have also made many pet pillows for shelter animals using muslin or old pillow cases and stuffing them with left over scraps.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:55 PM

Yep! I made our doxie a quilt out of some plisse scraps I had laying around. Put a nice fluffy batting in it and backed it with flannel. She lays on it in the sewing room and patiently waits for me to get done sewing. She knows it is hers. Just machine quilted in the ditch and she thinks it's great.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:52 PM

Finally made my older cat his long promised "personal" quilt. He got right on it and doesn't let the younger ones use it! Hubby found out just how much Furball knew that it was for him alone! LOL I keep it on the foot of our bed and that is where he always sleeps. Will post a pic when I get one to show the cat prints it is made from.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:07 PM

But of course! I make blankies (quilts) for dogs adopted through a rescue group - and it wouldn't be right to make quilts for fluffs we've never met if ours didn't have any.

I know which ones the dogs are really going to like. My dogs lay on the the quilting leaf of my sewing cabinet while I sew, and if they like the blankie, they lay on it as I sew!

No, no - they're not spoiled....
Old 04-21-2010, 07:12 PM

Just made my 2 little dogs a quilt , they love it one for each.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:33 PM

Before our little 13 yr old Mini Schnauzer passed, she had many quilts that I made her. 6 were handquilted. She never went anywhere without her quilt. Even in the Summer. The Groomer was at our Vet's offc and even to be groomed every week, she took her quilt. Her quilts were buried with her.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:38 PM

I am a big fan of table runners & my 2 cats are big fans of the radiators (actually the metal radiator covers) in the winter, it seemed a match made in heaven.

Warm radiator covers
+ quilted table runners (aka skinny quilts)
= happy cats
Old 04-21-2010, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
I was wondering if you have made your dog or cat a quilt?

We have a shih tzu dog and he loves laying on one of the quilts I bought at a craft show on the couch. Felix our dog will be 7 years old on April 22nd.

I am thinking of making him one.

Craftybear
When a quilt doesn't turn out like I wanted it to, I've threatened to give it to our dog. Haven't made one especially for him.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:18 PM

My two Shih Tzus received gifts of quilts as house warming presents from a friend seven years ago, since then I have made them each a new one, plus one for the car.
Perfectly normal in my world!!!!
Barbara - Australia