Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Heat & Bond vs wonderunder vs ? >

Heat & Bond vs wonderunder vs ?

Heat & Bond vs wonderunder vs ?

Old 05-03-2011, 03:18 AM

Light Heat and Bond....wonderunder tends to come away from the paper if stored too long...than you get it all drawn out and it shift...bugs me to death....blessings
Old 05-03-2011, 03:55 AM

There is a fusible called VILENE. It works really well, doesn't get a very stiff feeling. it is pricey though.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:02 AM

It was a good deal! I use Pellon light weight for most iron on purposes, but if you want a raised affect, use an iron on batting. The circles would be lovely with that method.

Don't remember what company makes the iron on batting. You can get it at most any fabric store.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:29 AM

I pretty much agree with ghostrider except that I do not care for Pellon's wonder under these days. It used to be a good product, but I have trouble peeling the paper off now. The company send me 5 yards as a replacement and I had just as much trouble with that. I peel it off the backing now until my supply is gone and use it like the Misty Fuse. That works well. Head and Bond lite also works well for me.

The product and method you use really depends on your project. Therefore, I use many different products and methods.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:43 AM

http://www.byannie.com/fusible_thread_video_7/

I just ran across this video yesterday about this fusible thread and its use for applique. I'm willing to give it a try.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by trugger
Hi Everyone,
I need some expert advice....

I'm wondering what y'all use for applique and how you like it.

For the first time, I used Heat & Bond to applique fun things to the outside of a playhouse for my niece.
It worked well, but it's a little thick.
And, I'm not sure how it will wash.

My next project (or one of my next projects) will be a quilt with many circles appliqued. (not sure of the exact design yet, but I want circles).

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the product used to iron the appliqued piece affects the final quilt?
I accidentally used Heat and Bond on an applique once (didn't realize I had done this) and when I went to applique it on the sewing machine my needle kept getting goo all over it and made the applique difficult to do. I think for the playhouse it is fine or on something that doesn't require sewing. I use the lightest Wunder Under possible for appliques.

Thank you
Old 05-03-2011, 05:27 AM

Superior threads have a new product, fuseable thread. I don't think it wiuld be great for raw edge, but it would eliminate stiffness and hold well until stitched. I'd like to try it. Would sure eliminate all those qdd ends of fuseable that are saved for the "next project." Has enyone tried it? Please let us know your opinion if it.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:29 AM

I prefer misty-fuse. Very light weight and doesn't goo up the needle.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingaz
Lite Steam-A-Seam2 is what I use. It is lightweight and if you just use it around edges of large pieces you can hardly tell it is there.
This is what I use, too. It is easy to use, very lightweight and doesn't gum up your needle.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:39 AM

Pelon 805 is wonder under and is great. I discovered this product when taking a class from Laura Wasilowski, who is the fuse queen. see her here http://www.artfabrik.blogspot.com/

I have tried them all and heat and bond lite is still stiff. I do like steam a seam 2 lite. I is according to what you are doing. I think Heat and bond is good for crafts.