Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Bargello colors >

Help with Bargello colors

Help with Bargello colors

Old 01-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

should have added, if you do not have a scanner you can purchase grayscales in art supply stores, they are like color wheels--
Old 01-18-2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
Hmm...a border? Try--just for kicks--to put the green between the beige with the little flowers and the gold/brown?
OK, moved the green like you said, and also tried to bring the light green back in to use as the border.

I'm going nuts here.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-163318.jpe   attachment-163319.jpe  
Old 01-18-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
a good way to learn (color-values) is to use a gray scale. if you have a printer-scanner you can cut a swatch of each fabric, lay them side by side in the order you are considering, scan them and print them out in grayscale. the colors will not distract you and you will be able to see where you need to have contrast between your lights, mediums and darks.
GREAT suggestion. Thanks! :thumbup:

Hubby's really gonna think I've gone nuts, now.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:25 PM

Don't feel bad. I'm not color blind but I sure seem to be when choosing colors for quilts!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Renee110
Don't feel bad. I'm not color blind but I sure seem to be when choosing colors for quilts!
This is why I'm SEW happy I have my friends here who can help me. I really need to 'expand my horizons' when it comes to color! Gee, could I use a trip to the fabric store. :roll: My stash is quiet pathetic.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:59 PM

I definitely like the last grouping the best. Just my personal opinion but I don't think your border fabric is really framing your fabric grouping the way it should. Maybe a dark thin inner border? One thing I do with Bargello fabrics is lay black or other neutral (same material on either side) to cover all but the average size strip. This lessens the overloading effect of some prints and points out tonals that may be too strong. It also helps me see weak fabrics or those that nust dont play well with the others remember your first fabric will be next to your last fabric in some places. Just my method. Enjoy bargelloing!
Old 01-19-2011, 02:47 AM

I wish I could take you guys shopping with me ...
Old 01-19-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I wish I could take you guys shopping with me ...
Guess TN is too far away from PA. Drat!! This thing's driving me crazy. The kiddos have a 2-hour delay, and one's staying home with a fever. I'll probably be spending yet another day moving fabric around.

I'll probably post another idea pic after lunch. AND, knowing me, it'll probably be totally different. Ugh!!! I did spend last night reviewing the pattern, and I really like the idea of the fabric roll. Guess this is a 'beginner technique', but I think it'll work for me! That is, if I ever pick out the darn fabric. :roll:
Old 01-19-2011, 06:16 AM

I think that printing it out in black and white is a great idea. Learned it here. In a bargello, value is the most important thing.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:04 AM

I tried to quote-copy the picture I used as reference in this post but, It didn't go through...It was Pic #2 you posted on page one..

Just another opinion lol ( and yea, I know I'm too wordy so bare with me lol)I commend you for even attempting a bargello,said the newbie quilter lol
To me, you have 3 color groups going on here (greens/purples-goldish browns-then the maroon group..I think that would be very hard to graduate the color up in each group AND make each group flow with each other. Especially when you are having trouble with values etc. Who wants to pull their hair out? lol (that's why many stick with solids and or smll prints at first)
Going from right to left (your drkest green being #1) At first glance my gut reaction is that your three greens- # 1- #6 and #7) look really good with your larg lavender floral (#2)= your focus fabric..If you could find one more really drk or really light color in this range, like a color with both green/purple or with both a blue green and more of a yellow green(pull the color from one or more colors in that floral focus fabric.. That would give you 4 fabrics in a nice range
Then you have the gold grouping (# 4 and 5) These look really good together and you'll have another floral focus fabric to pull from(beautiful light golden yellow in there- I'd keep these focus florals the largest print)You could go scouting for a Drk and light color in this range..That would give you another 4 total in that grouping equaling a total of 8..Not sure how many you need..
Then you have the Maroon grouping (#3 and 5)and you could play off of those..Really depends on what moves you..
General rule, greens purples and gold/yelllow look great toether..As do the gold group as well as maroons and greens...Unless you want a strong maroon group..I'd probably stay clear of the really strong maroon (#3).As for the border, I'd probably pick my fav color in the quilt, a purple-green- gold or a mix and keep it on the darker side..I feel there's not enough white/light color within the quilt to frame it with that.
And that's my two scents ha!( And yea, you'll probably have to read this 4 friggin times to understand me, sorry lmao
Just remember, not only do you have to pay attention to the value ( drkest to lightest) You also need to pay attention to the undertone of the colors..As a general rule, if you pick a golden brown..You wouldn't want to pair it with say a "pinkish" brown..
The best way I've found to do this is to take a swatch of all your fabrics with you shopping...Audition them on top of a bolt you're considering.. turn your back and walk 8 ft away..And turn around real fast... What doesn't fit will stick out..
And if you can't do a black and white photo of the fabrics to determine value scale..Another way to do it is to cut a template window of 2" by 2" lay it on the fabric and judge only 2 fabrics at one time..Is that one lighter or darker then that one..Then move to the next.
And I can't say enough about a color wheel..I sure hope this is somewhat understandable and helps you or someone out there a little.......Peace, Love and Color