Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help with Bargello colors >
  • Help with Bargello colors

• Help with Bargello colors

Old 01-19-2011, 04:32 PM

Ya know, I think I'll throw myself a party once I have this thing figured out. Seriously. I'm sure people are already rolling their eyes thinking "this girl's crazy". Sorry, I really am. This is slowly driving me crazy.

I didn't include a border fabric because I figure I could pick that after it's finished. I tried to find a color that flowed to each next fabric.

I think I'm making progress, at least from where I started. If anything I'm thinking totally differently about how to look at color. Confusing yet enlightening. :wink:

Again, my sincere apologizes.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-163981.jpe  
    Old 01-19-2011, 05:58 PM

that looks very pretty together, I really like that selection
    Old 01-20-2011, 07:34 AM

I think everybody must have given up on me. :( Thanks, EagarBeez. ha ha

Can't say that I blame ya... :mrgreen: It's probably bad and you don't have the heart to say so and continue to keep going round and round.
    Old 01-20-2011, 07:41 AM

Good morning, I haven't given up on ya..I just got here with my coffee and you're the first one I checked on lol...And as EagarBeez said, your last two selections are looking so much better..There's more of a definite flow to them.. Give me a min. and let me look them over side by side and I'll give you yet another opinion(laugh)
    Old 01-20-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
    I think everybody must have given up on me. :( Thanks, EagarBeez. ha ha

Can't say that I blame ya...
    No we haven't given up on you!! We're just watching you play with fabric. LOL

One thing that might help is to google pictures of bargello quilts. That might help you get a better idea of how to arrange your fabrics. I do think that most of your groupings could really use a very dark fabric added to them.
    Old 01-20-2011, 08:15 AM

:roll:
    GRRR it didn't add the pic lol doing that now

You're right Happy..Your definitely improving..I agree with EagarBreez, the last few runs of fabric you've posted have a definite flow to them.
    This selection right here, There is just something about the first (7or 8) ones in this run that make me go to my happy place lol...Is that a really dark navy blue fabric I see in the lower left hand corner (1st one) It's a really sweet "dark" one.
    I think starting with the dark green one and the next 3 over..Look really good together..It kind of fades from greens into a slightly green/blue just add either a really drk green or a lighter green/blue to that group..
    Then starting with that very dark navy blue..I would start on the blue to blue /grey group

So starting with the navy blue, add the 6th(kind of a blue grey) and 7th one over from that..That would be 3 total... Now there is one in your last grouping you posted that would really look good with this blue/grey group...Since I don't know how to do two pics in one post..I'll do another post to show you lol
    Old 01-20-2011, 08:18 AM

And here we go again...

Do I need the solid maroon added??

ok, this is the pic I was referring to in my last post

It still didn't show! hmmm..... I'm sorry Happy.... The one I'm referring to is that last pic you posted on the previous page- page 2
    Old 01-20-2011, 08:26 AM

Ya know, I think I'll throw myself a party once I have this thing figured out. Seriously. I'm sure people are already rolling their eyes thinking "this girl's crazy". Sorry, I really am. This is slowly driving me crazy.

I didn't include a border fabric because I figure I could pick that after it's finished. I tried to find a color that flowed to each next fabric.

I think I'm making progress, at least from where I started. If anything I'm thinking totally differently about how to look at color. Confusing yet enlightening. :wink:

Again, my sincere apologizes.
    The other fabric I was referring to that I think would look really nice with that blue/grey grouping is the 5th one over in this group (In case the pic doesn't show up in this post too...I'm referring to the last pic you posted on the last page lol)...The large floral that has blue/grey flowers in it along with the green leaves - would go with both color groupings
    Old 01-20-2011, 08:28 AM

Good morning! I know how it is to select colors. You don't want to know how I am in a fabric store. I have bolts of fabric lined up and change them for hours.
    I am working believe it or not on a beginners bargello. I have about 3 yrs quilting experience, but, I love colors
    I am making a quilt for my niece, she wanted blue, and pink I added some yellow.
    I will post the picture what I have going so far. Don't know if the colors are grouped the best, but, I worked with what was given me and did what I thought best.
    You may like your colors one way, while someone likes their colors another... the quilt is yours..you own it, you should do which ever way appeals to you. You have some very pretty fabric, and if you want to add that burgundy to the last picture you have, that would be great. Don't make yourself crazy, walk away take a break and then come back.
    I also have a pattern that my DH drew up to what I had asked him to do on a beginners bargello. I started with 5 in blocks and ended up being 41/2 after seams.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-164171.jpe  
    Old 01-20-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by ArtisticDesign
    GRRR it didn't add the pic lol doing that now
    Is that a really dark navy blue fabric I see in the lower left hand corner (1st one) It's a really sweet "dark" one.

So starting with the navy blue, add the 6th(kind of a blue grey) and 7th one over from that..That would be 3 total... Now there is one in your last grouping you posted that would really look good with this blue/grey group...Since I don't know how to do two pics in one post..I'll do another post to show you lol
    It's actually a very dark green, not navy blue.

BTW, LOVELY quilt EagerBeze!

I'll keep pluggin' away on this. Thanks so much for all your patience, everybody!