Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Bargello colors >

Help with Bargello colors

Help with Bargello colors

Old 01-19-2011, 10:15 AM

I can't match colors at all. And one day I want to do a bargello quilt too. There is a quilt shop over on the oregon coast that the lady that runs it (i think shes the owner too) has some pretty quilts hanging behind the counter. I've never seen a bargello there though, but I have bought fabric from her and told her what I was making and she helped me pick out colors that worked together. And I bet if I took a bargello pattern over there she would help me pick out fabrics. :) But I have to wait till later this year before I can do that. Good luck with yours. I like the fabrics you have chosen.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:22 AM

I really don't like that purply floral next to that red. They're just to jarring next to each other.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:14 AM

OK, I am officially driving myself crazy. I now know how to waste HOURS without any problem.

Here's my latest attempt. I did print out a b & w picture, and I THINK the values are OK. Probably not. I picked golds/yellows/burgundy. Do you think these go?

Sheesh, I've got two projects I probably couldn't been totally finished if I wasn't wasting all this time. I know, in the end it won't be a waste of time at all.

Trina :shock:

Oh, btw, remember where I STARTED on page 1??
Attached Thumbnails attachment-163816.jpe  
Old 01-19-2011, 12:21 PM

ahh Happy, you poor baby lol..Please don't feel like you're wasting your time..You're learning..
I like your new maroon.. Many might not agree but,I'm not to crazy about the golds together. # 3 and 4 aren't bad together but the other two- one is a brighter Yellow and the other is more neutral....
There are so many pics now It's hard to tell you what to try...Could you either group all the pics in one post.
Or I'd love to see you group the greens and maroons together, darkest to lightest( you already had a dark med and a light in the greens) and both of your large print florals had green and a maroon/pink flower in them- so one or both of them might transition nicely between the green/maroons... Also throw in fabric 4 and 7 from your very first pic with the maroons..Lets give it a look see.
Come on you guys let's help lol
Old 01-19-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by ArtisticDesign
ahh Happy, you poor baby lol..Please don't feel like you're wasting your time..You're learning..
I like your new maroon.. Many might not agree but,I'm not to crazy about the golds together. # 3 and 4 aren't bad together but the other two- one is a brighter Yellow and the other is more neutral....
There are so many pics now It's hard to tell you what to try...Could you either group all the pics in one post.
Or I'd love to see you group the greens and maroons together, darkest to lightest( you already had a dark med and a light in the greens) and both of your large print florals had green and a maroon/pink flower in them- so one or both of them might transition nicely between the green/maroons... Also throw in fabric 4 and 7 from your very first pic with the maroons..Lets give it a look see.
Come on you guys let's help lol
I have an idea!!! Since you are able to see the colors that she is wanting to put in the quilt, couldn't you maybe take one of her pictures shes posted and put them into a specific order and just have her keep posting the pictures as she moves them around for you? It might just save her from going totally crazy. LOLOL But its just an idea.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
I can't match colors at all. And one day I want to do a bargello quilt too. There is a quilt shop over on the oregon coast that the lady that runs it (i think shes the owner too) has some pretty quilts hanging behind the counter. I've never seen a bargello there though, but I have bought fabric from her and told her what I was making and she helped me pick out colors that worked together. And I bet if I took a bargello pattern over there she would help me pick out fabrics. :)
By the way Airwick156, You're so lucky...I had to pick out graduated colors (22 of them!) for a project..I was so hoping the lady at my quilt shop would help me.. I figured she'd know where everything was and I was so overwhelmed...She practically snarled at me and walked away! lmao...Needless to say, my cousin and I had probably 20 bolts pulled off the shelves all lined up...She really shoulda helped (laugh)
Old 01-19-2011, 12:37 PM

I have an idea!!! Since you are able to see the colors that she is wanting to put in the quilt, couldn't you maybe take one of her pictures shes posted and put them into a specific order and just have her keep posting the pictures as she moves them around for you?[/quote]

I thought of that Airwick!..But although I can hit "quote reply" on one post..I have no idea how to takes Just pics from 2 or 3 different posts ( and my gosh, I talk waaay too much to quote multiple full post lmao)...yea, I like color but figuring out computor stuff makes me feel like I'm 5 lol..

And seriously, others may be seeing stuff I'm not... I just know my cousin suffers from color anxiety horribly... But I go shopping with her and she's getting better and better..She's even helping me now...And she has taught me not to be afraid of my sewing machine..It's a good relationship lol
Old 01-19-2011, 02:16 PM

And here we go again...

Do I need the solid maroon added??

:roll:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-163904.jpe  
Old 01-19-2011, 02:25 PM

I like the way your latest layout looks
Old 01-19-2011, 02:44 PM

[quote=ArtisticDesign]
Come on you guys let's help lol[/quo]
Come on humor meeee lol

I love the first 3 or so you have grouped to the left