Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  First Quilt Ever! >

Help! First Quilt Ever!

Help! First Quilt Ever!

Old 01-05-2015, 11:38 AM

Welcome to the QB! While you can probably make that quilt, with enough determination, I can guarantee it will not be a pleasant first sewing project. Since you have no sewing experience and plenty of time, my suggestion is to first learn to sew, by making something simple like burp pads and bibs. New moms need plenty of those and they're great for learning straight stitching, sandwiching, and binding.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:32 PM

Oh Wow! So many encouraging helpful people! Thanks so much for all of your input. This forum is going to be super helpful when I run into a jam!

What size triangles do you think I should use?

Also I think I found the exact material used by the person who created my inspiration quilt
https://www.fabric.com/buy/0343750/s...d-29889bf8fb7b

Do you guys think this would look better than the original fabric i picked out?
Old 01-05-2015, 01:52 PM

Here's an idea for a fairly easy quilt. HOw about log cabins using the stary skys as one the light sides and the planets as the dark sides. Red chimneys would be too much of a jolt I'm afraid, but maybe one of the reddish purples might do for center squares. Try for 14" (finished) blocks----------3 across and 4 up and down. Many ways to set them together. 42 x 56, good size.

Don't want much smaller blocks, you'll lose all the definition in your fabrics.

Use your chimney fabric for backing and binding-----------no borders to speak of.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:44 PM

love the fabric and the all the suggestion....can i just add an extra resource ...good tutorials on youtube. Good luck with whatever you choose and have fun! Be sure to post a picture as we love seeing pictures.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:33 PM
yel

aszule...it doesn't say where you are from .......if you are close i would love to help ..............
Old 01-05-2015, 06:09 PM

I think many of us would like to help if we knew where you were located. How about a city/state? We have quilters on this board from all over the world. By the way, I have several pieces of fabric for OBW but just haven't done one yet. Maybe soon. You are inspiring me.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:24 PM

I've quilting for about 10 years and have probably made over 100 quilts but don't have the courage to even attempt a one block wonder quilt, but I do commend you for wanting to make one for your friend. Others have given you some good advice.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:49 PM

Aszule,
My advice is to consider the expectations of your friend. What will make her happy? -- color, texture, design, workmanship? I don't know her experience, but I have found that a lot of young mothers who are complete novices in the area of quilts are not necessarily impressed with a complicated design, but are completely WOW!ed by beautiful colors and simple designs. Mostly importantly I think your friend will be so pleased that the quilt is something special you have made for her and her baby.

The bottom line is that "less is more" and simple is beautiful. If you find that you enjoy quilting, you can advance without pressure to the difficult patterns at your own pace.

Just my 2 cents worth. Enjoy the journey!
Old 01-05-2015, 07:27 PM

I do admire your determination. You may be able to handle this with lots of determination. I suggest you look at a few you tube video's to see how it's done. I did that and it didn't look to hard. I made my own ruler with template plastic. I don't suggest doing that. I kept cutting into the ruler and that became a disaster. The cutting is tough because your cutting through so many layers of fabric. I did not find the sewing so tough, but the cutting was really hard. I would buy some cheap fabric and try the cutting with that for a few blocks and then make a decision. I good way to begin learning quilting techniques is to sign up at your local quilt shop for a block of the month. It usually is free or very low cost and you all meet once a month and learn a new skill with that months block. The fabrics are given to you and you end up with a really nice sampler quilt block in the end. Good news many quilt shops start their block of the month in Jan. and you can still do the one block wonder if you want.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:35 PM

I am in Boulder, CO.

I've watched a bunch of youtube videos about making the kaleidoscope blocks. It really doesn't look that bad (part of being a beginner..I'm too new to know what I am getting myself into, but I am trying to ride the wave of naiveté).

To me it looks like with the right tools it shouldn't be too unreasonable.... a good sharp rotary tool and rulers seem key to me.

Last edited by Aszule; 01-05-2015 at 07:44 PM.