Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  First Quilt Ever! >

Help! First Quilt Ever!

Help! First Quilt Ever!

Old 01-06-2015, 04:42 AM

I think my concern is that you have chosen a very difficult design and I would not want that to be a bad experience for your first try at this. My advice is to choose something simple and quick as your first project to see how you do and how much you enjoy this craft/art/hobby/addiction. Even a cute panel that is bordered out can be a special quilt. Or a rag quilt. Your friend will treasure something made by you, no matter how difficult. It's not the work, it's the love that goes into the quilt that makes it special.

I have pieced and hand quilted several quilts for my family but the one they like the best for their little fellow is a square with camo and tractors in the design, bordered out and stitch-in-the-ditch/machine stitched squares to hold it together! The "beauty" is in the fabric, not the work that went into it. It took less than a day to make and they like it better than the ones that took much longer and a lot more work.

Save the OBW for a quilt as one to do for yourself as only you will appreciate the effort and time that went into the project.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:17 AM

Try the Falling Charms quilt from Missouri Star Quilt Co. There is a video to guide you and it's free. Don't burden yourself with a pattern that is too difficult for a beginner. Your friend will be just as happy with an easy quilt and you will be much more at ease with your project as you learn to quilt. If you have a friend who quilts, ask them for step by step guidance. If there is a quilt guild near you, or a quilt shop close by you can probably get some help from them as well. Like everything else you learn, quilting takes some practice so don't expect miracles with your first quilt. If you have never done any sewing at all you should practice on sample pieces until you are comfortable with just the sewing aspect, get a good 1/4 inch seam going and good tension on your seams. Then you will be ready to go with the machine. Practice cutting with a mat, ruler, and a rotary cutter so your pieces will be accurate. Good luck and please come back to the Board if we can continue to help.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:22 AM

Some really great advice here! I didn't realize when I first started quilting 8 yrs ago, how much time, cost and talent it took just to get started. That is not saying finished. Next, I learned I was in over my head on just what I thought was an easy quilt. I would start on a simple 9 patch or log cabin. That alone will challenge you on getting your seams straight. Sometimes the simple ones are the most beautiful. I caution you to start slowly, do your homework and realize what you are getting into before spending a lot of money and time only to get discouraged. Actually, the above post from Illinois is right on starting with a panel. Now there is a great suggestion.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:39 AM

I found OBWs to be relatively easy, but, granted, I have quilting experience. If you're really determined to do this, I bet you can. First, practice with simple squares so you can get a feel for lining the pieces up, so that your intersections are nicely done, and so you can learn to sew an accurate, even seam. Once you've got that down pat, I'd recommend buying some inexpensive fabric for an OBW that has a "short" repeat (so you don't have to buy a lot of yardage), and practice with it first. Then you can see if an OBW is doable, without spending a lot of money.

Two tips: Be sure to sew the triangles in strips, rather than in hexagons. It's soooo tempting to put those pretty hexagons together right off the bat, but strips make them infinitely easier to sew. You will need a design wall of some sort. A simple sheet of styrofoam from Lowes will work. Just pin your pieces to it, and lay them out like you want. Also, I recommend that you DON'T pre-wash your fabric. It's much easier to work with straight off the bolt, when it's stiff and starchy.

The "cutebuns" tutorial someone posted earlier is how I learned to do them.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:53 AM

I would suggeat , if no class available, I would buy sewing for Dummies , very good book to read and learn, then maybe Quitling for dummies. Both are very good visual books.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:33 AM

I commend you on being a beginner and wanting to tackle such a HUGE challenge ahead with this material you've chosen! Personally, and I've been a quilter for 40-something years - I would not tackle this project as a newbie. Something simpler like squares with/without borders would be more appropriate for a beginner, in my view. The frustrations of matching the blocks to line up with the borders are such a challenge when first starting out! Congrats to your friend with the upcoming birth - and to you for being such a noble "giving" individual.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:36 AM

Do you have Maxine Rosenthal's book "One-block wonders"? If you don't I'll be happy to give you my copy. I've had it for a couple of years and have finally accepted the fact that I will never use it. If you want it, send me a private message with your address and I'll get it out to you.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:51 AM
shy

Azsule..the hex patterns are not a first time quilt pattern..their corners take a little know how to sew...I agree having someone help u the first time helps..I picked a very hard pattern for my first quilt..with no help I fought my way through it..MANY mistakes..almost gave up quilting..Why don't u look for a pattern with good pictures and directions to follow..it will give u how much of everything u need..stick to squares or strips for your first time..u will enjoy it so much more..then later after a few quilts u can gifted the baby with this quilt u like now..there are videos on the net u can watch ..with step by step..like having someone there..
Old 01-06-2015, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Northern California. Good luck on your adventure. We will always be here to help. BrendaK
Old 01-06-2015, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by indycat32 View Post
Do you have Maxine Rosenthal's book "One-block wonders"? If you don't I'll be happy to give you my copy. I've had it for a couple of years and have finally accepted the fact that I will never use it. If you want it, send me a private message with your address and I'll get it out to you.
Wow thanks! I just ordered it on Amazon yesterday though. I appreciate the offer!