Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  First Quilt Ever! >

Help! First Quilt Ever!

Help! First Quilt Ever!

Old 01-06-2015, 07:33 AM

I sincerely appreciate everyone's feedback! You have set me up with some really reasonable expectations. I know it will be challenging and tedious at times, but I just want to try. I think it will fit my friend's personal style, she is a very non-traditional person. Plus, the internet is an amazing thing. I've watched videos, read blogs and talked to all of you. This summer I changed the coil pack in my car in my driveway using Youtube tutorials (I had never done any work on a car before). I am willing to go slow and am expecting it to be a long project, and if I end up realizing I cannot handle it, I will use one of your suggestions to make a more beginner-friendly quilt. I am sure this is going to be a learning experience.

What is a good size to make the triangles?
Old 01-06-2015, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Basketman View Post
I guess it is all about your determination to succeed and then finding the path to make it all happen. I know from experience that I had zero sewing skills as well and a "crash course" of maybe one hour from a friend was my introduction to quilting. I launched into a king sized quilt with 50 blocks with maybe 40 half square triangle in each block, biased edges, directional fabrics, setting zig zags between the blocks and it came out square! Maybe just "dumb luck" but I never retreat from anything... I just advance in a different direction. That said, I also agree it is nice to have a mentor and being able to discuss those areas that give you the greatest concern and get some direct advice. I know when I needed some pointers and I went to the internet I was so inexperienced I did not even know how to ask an informed question and search out the answer...so do the best of both worlds. GO FOR IT...one can never aim too high, getting there that makes for an interesting journey, find an adviser to hold the safety net and best of luck!
AGREE 100%! Go for it. I think the biggest hurdle for new quilters and why it is so difficult for them is the engineering concepts that go into piecing. Those that have naturally or by background this engineering wiring in their brain do not see a difference between beginning and intermediate quilt designs. As for the sewing, get someone (I will if from my neck of woods) to show you how to use a machine and then spend every free minute for a week speeding along carefree on the machine. Go every which way, follow lines, sew along edges, just keep going so you run out of many bobbins and have to replace frequently and use small spools of thread so you run out and have to rethread frequently. By the end of the week you will be intimate enough to begin sewing blocks. When I wanted to learn to knit I put an ad up at the senior center and I met the nicest lady who taught me knit. She ended up not wanting money but instead wanted me stop at the grocery store and pick some things up for her on my way to our meetings. Anyways, you may be able to find someone to guide you through the quilt. The only problem with this is sometimes the best for someone is to develop their own ways and approaches. I know I never had anyone show me how to quilt and before the Quilting Board I had no idea how weird and unconventional most of my quilt piecing/cutting/attaching blocks/etc. is! One thing I would suggest is to do two quilts for your first quilt. It seems like a lot more work but it is not because all the steps do not have to be completed on the 'tester' quilt which is the one you try each step along the way before going into your good fabric. This will be a challenging quilt but the sewing is actually pretty basic sewing skills. The piecing is difficult if not understand the engineering but I think you do as you are bold enough to see the project as something you want to do. As for the quilting of the quilt top, for your first piece project I would pay to have someone do that for you. Well, only if running out of time combined with intimidated about the idea. The quilting of your chosen design is straight-lines so it actually is perfect for a beginner sewer/quilting. Summary: No problem with the cutting and piecing. Actual quilting leave open to idea of hiring that out. Go for it!!!
Old 01-06-2015, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Aszule View Post
The larger the block the fewer blocks you will need. But you want to keep it small enough for the repeat in the fabric. I'm much better at being able to tell in person. When you get the fabric, if I were you, I would cut an equilateral triangle hole out of a box (the size after you remove the seam allowance) and a fold up makeup mirror and see what it looks like. I have a feeling sides somewhere in the 4.5" range might work, but you'll know better when you see the fabric in person and you are figuring out where you are going to cut.

The book will really help you with this step too.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:59 AM

Sounds like you are all set up for success! You are not intimidated by others preconceived notions of difficulties you may encounter. So go for it and have a blast!!!!

I will reiterate that accurate cutting and consistent seam width are very crucial to success on this design. Just take it slow and have fun along the way.

And feel free to call on us any time you have a question.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:34 PM

In case this would be helpful ...https://www.pinterest.com/iatexan2/o...der-tutorials/
Old 01-06-2015, 05:58 PM

Thinking out loud here............I've seen rows of half hexies put together to make whole hexagons. With the fabrics you've chosen, you could design a beautiful "night quilt". But you'd have to lay out the pieces for your best sky presentation. And then follow up in an established order. The piecing wouldn't be that intimidating-----------arranging the pieces would be a job for a designing eye, however.

And the half hexies could be made big enough that you'd not need tons of pieces.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:57 PM

Aszule--before doing any sewing, be sure you are getting a consistant 1/4" seam on your blocks-if hand sewing, mark the seam line, if on the machine, do some practicing and mark your machine. without those consistant seams this will be a frustratingly difficult quilt!
Old 01-06-2015, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
good advice posted here. brings back memories of my first quilt... a tumbling blocks!!! another pattern that should not be tackled as a beginner. fortunately, after a lot of frustrations, i completed it and it was well loved. good luck to you and welcome to the QB
My first quilt? A small lap sized Storm at Sea more than 30 years ago.... I finished it - the points are not great, my fabrics didn't contrast enough, the hand quilting stitches are quite large. I love it and in fact I am using it right now!! And I do know that IF I knew then what I know now - just to eliminate a lot of frustration - I would never have started with that pattern!

Aszule - that fabric is fabulous! Welcome and good luck on starting your quilting adventure!
Old 01-07-2015, 06:05 AM

Youtube. MSQC. One of Jenny's tutorials walks you through from start to finish. It is super cute and she is so easy to follow. Plus, watching a video, you can start and stop and go back as often as necessary. Which I have done on several of hers!!!
Old 01-07-2015, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Aszule View Post
I sincerely appreciate everyone's feedback! You have set me up with some really reasonable expectations. I know it will be challenging and tedious at times, but I just want to try. I think it will fit my friend's personal style, she is a very non-traditional person. Plus, the internet is an amazing thing. I've watched videos, read blogs and talked to all of you. This summer I changed the coil pack in my car in my driveway using Youtube tutorials (I had never done any work on a car before). I am willing to go slow and am expecting it to be a long project, and if I end up realizing I cannot handle it, I will use one of your suggestions to make a more beginner-friendly quilt. I am sure this is going to be a learning experience.

You go for it. Sounds like you have read and watched enough tutorials to know what your getting into. If you start into it and start feeling overwhelmed you can change and make something simpler. It would make a really cute snowball block! Good luck with joining all those corners.