Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  First Quilt Ever! >

Help! First Quilt Ever!

Help! First Quilt Ever!

Old 01-05-2015, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
Aszule,
My advice is to consider the expectations of your friend. What will make her happy? -- color, texture, design, workmanship? I don't know her experience, but I have found that a lot of young mothers who are complete novices in the area of quilts are not necessarily impressed with a complicated design, but are completely WOW!ed by beautiful colors and simple designs. Mostly importantly I think your friend will be so pleased that the quilt is something special you have made for her and her baby.

The bottom line is that "less is more" and simple is beautiful. If you find that you enjoy quilting, you can advance without pressure to the difficult patterns at your own pace.

Just my 2 cents worth. Enjoy the journey!
Part of the reason this pattern appeals to me is because with the fabric I chose I think I can make it look like a starry sky. I want to give the quilt to her with a painting of the quote "The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of star stuff.”- Carl Sagan and I was thinking of getting the border of the quilt embroidered with the part of the quote that says "We are made of Star Stuff" to tie them together.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:32 PM

Welcome!! Great advice you've gotten. I would do some burp pads along with your quilt. They would give you some practice, be very useful & if you used some of the same fabric on 1 side would turn into a "set". I printed out the Conn. Threads pattern to try. Looks to be a little less complicated to me. Good Luck!!

Forgot to add - Get the best tools you can so that you don't get frustrated. Many tips on this board.

Last edited by ctrysass2012; 01-05-2015 at 08:34 PM. Reason: additional tip
Old 01-05-2015, 09:14 PM

Aszule.....i admire your willingness to do the OBW block...and that fabric is great for it....there are books and videos that can help you....You will need at least SIX repeats of the pattern in the amount of fabric you buy...so look carefully at that fabric -- -they sell it at most JoAnn Fabric shops -(I just bought some to make a Star Trek quilt for my 70+ year old Aunt who's a Trekkie)....that will make it easier to know exactly how many yards you will need.

Yes, OBW is a challenge....but you don't sound the least bit afraid of that....so i say if you have the will and the want and the patience to learn to do it - GO for it.

I will say....Spray starch your fabric well - that helps with the bias edges.....
Also...since have not sewn in the past, are you planning to do this by machine or by hand....either way will work - looks up Jinny Beyer for hand sewing info if you want - she is the Goddess of hand piecing/quilting. My first quilts were stitched by hand as i didn't own a sewing machine in those days. They are still in use.

Good luck.....and while you can get a lot of help here on line... I bet there is someone from the QB in your area that would love to help you out up close and personal.

PS....i also like the line from "Desiderata"......"you are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and stars"
Old 01-05-2015, 09:38 PM

Something that might help is a series of youtubes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hLNzP0EL9I, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llgn_VXhni8, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo8aQ7TQ_fQ, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJg2SDNEeY4, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFD5iIPrQg4, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhYqNk6RRAU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUnPDdjHZdE

the first set of tutorials seem to include a background fabric but i was under the impression you just butt the hexie shapes together?.....still some helpful things in the video's
Old 01-06-2015, 03:26 AM

Hi, Azule. The pattern and fabric that you have chosen and the fabric are beautiful! It is a more advanced pattern, but why not consider making some test units? That will give you a feel for whether or not this is the right first project for you. If you find that it is too complex for your liking at the moment, you will be welcomed into the UFO Club. If you decide that you like making the units, Bravo!
Old 01-06-2015, 03:54 AM

You sound very determined! Go for it Aszule, you can do it. Get some help and do it! Love the fabric you chose.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
The bummer part about being a beginner is you don't know what you don't know. I agree with the others, this isn't the best project to start with. All those triangles have bias edges, which will warp and stretch. It will be difficult to match the blocks up, and you will pull every single hair out and and throw the top in the corner and pout. Ask me how I know.
When I started, I started with a nine patch, which can be quite lovely.....you can make an I Spy quilt with a nine patch for a baby (I did) and I love half square triangles. Never have had a problem with them and you can make so many different designs with just the 1/2 squares. I recommend the fabric pen that disappears after you get through sewing on the lines. I love cutting the dog ears. I save those in little apothecary jars. Have filled a lot. You can make as beautiful a quilt as you like without having to do all the intricate designs. There are some I would love to do and I have been quilting for over 25 years now, and I feel best and most confident (especially with a gift quilt) making the ones I do the best - Another good one is a Sampler (my specialty). You get all kinds of squares, rectangles, half square triangles, 1/4 square triangles (which is just a half square cut in half to make another triangle. That's when the fun comes in. When it isn't fun, then there just is no point. And I have fun!!!!! Check Quilters Cache, the easiest and most fun quilt to make, I think, is Floating Stars. Check it out. You sew two squares on to a rectangle, cut it at an angle and you do about 1,000,000 of those and it looks like an optical illusion. That quilt is super easy and the reward is unbelievable when it is done. Have done several of them. I use the grocery bag way of doing it. One little square is dark fabric and one little square a light fabric - dark fabric - different colors (print or solid) are cut into squares and put in one grocery bag - do same with light fabric - put in the other grocery bag. When you are sewing the block together you have a light side and a dark side to the rectangle and it all falls into place. Good luck to you. Have fun! Actually, the tree is down, the house is back to normal, I am getting out my audio book and I am going to start putting together a quilt I started before Christmas. Very excited about today. Edie
Old 01-06-2015, 04:25 AM

OMG, you are one gutsy lady. Go for it and enjoy the journey! And welcome to the board.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:30 AM

Go to your local quilt shop. They should be happy to help you. Maybe even sign up for a beginning quilt class.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:30 AM

Friends,
I am new here, and new to quilting. That pattern is in my "aspire to" list now, but as an experienced sewer, but novice quilter, I think you may have more fun with an easier pattern to start. About a decade ago I picked a tricky pattern to start quilting, and it was so frustrating I set it aside and did not try quilting again until last year,and now I wish I had started smaller as I have missed 10 years of fun quilting because I tried to start too far above my skill set. (That accurate seam size can really trip up a beginner!)