Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help - I sewed myself to my quilt with my machine!

Good for you, better safe than sorry!!

I"m glad to hear it was not more serious.
    but I RUDELY want to know... I hope u didn't get blood on the quilt?

I ran over my fake nail too... got it just a bit too close.. luckily they were needed a trim anyway and it just chipped a piece off... I was able to file it down.. whew...!
    I KNOW better than to stick my finger near the needle... but I repeatedly do it anyway.... sigh....

Pass the chocolate?

The needle bent badly, however the fabric was black where the crime occurred, thankfully. :)

glad you were smart enough to get out of a tough situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wings
    The needle bent badly, however the fabric was black where the crime occurred, thankfully. :)
    you can use hyginperoxide sp? when i made my daughters wedding gown sewed my finger in to some flowers (by Hand) used peroxide and it took it right out

I guess now you can put your machine under arrest. Last time I got a tetnous shot it did not hurt at all and to my suprize I did net get a sore arm either. I was lucky on that one. I'm about due for another one. Have a great day, Huggies, Fay

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    OMG I did that too. I yelled ow ow ow help. But by the time hubby got to me I had already "unsewn" myself.

Last week I cut my finger open with my rotary cutter. All I can say there is thank goodness I was making a quick cut or off to the hospital I would have went.

No wonder hubby keeps yelling at me to get the pins out of my mouth! :)

OUCH! I hope you're feeling better, Wings. And thanks for the safety reminder for all of us.

Recently, I've started pressing in the bobbin threading button when I thread the needle or clean under the presser foot. That way, I have the light from the machine, but without the worry of accidentally stepping on the pedal.

Oh my goodness, I hope you are feeling better and your finger doesn't hurt to much. I bet it is sore as heck though.

My gosh, it could have been much worse...please be careful.

Conniequilts -= loved the comment re the pins in mouth. For heavens sake don't answer your husband or you qill swallow them!
    hannajo - what a EXCELLANT IDEA RE THE BOBBIN WINDER BEING ENGAGED TO THREAD THE NEEDLE!!!! Took me a couple of mins to work out what you meant - then I got it! Very clever idea, I shall use it thankyou.

Blog Entries
    Wings, I didn't miss the part where 'you stepped on the back of a poisonous snake' last week. When do we get to hear the rest of the story? We might need more than chocolates and coffee. !!!!!!!! There is plenty for everyone and the couch will fit us all.
    I wanted to ask if your tetnus was current but I couldn't spell it or get it to come up in spell check. (Mine is.)
    I hope it is all better soon.

Ouch!!!! I know first hand how painful it is to sew your finger with your machine, I have done this twice now and I was feeling really stupid the day I chopped off the edge of one of my fingers with my rotary cutter! Not only does it hurt terribly bad when we quilters injure ourselves but we feel dumb too. Luckily I have been fortunate enough during these moments not to bleed on any fabric. I hope you heal quickly.

reply to dsb38327 - My last tetanus shot was thirty years ago. I was on holiday when I took a walk along a lagoon and stepped on the snake, my husband said I looked like I was trying to walk in mid air once I saw what I had stepped on. The snake luckily was as shocked as I was and wriggled away into the undergrowth. I have stood beside a red bellied black some years ago, who had crawled up to a little pond in my back yard. He luckily took off too. The snake man I called in said to stomp loudly every time I came outside to send him away and that the snake would be well aware of all my movements as the pond provided water to drink and tree frogs for food - and the hedge near it provided shelter, perfect snake habitat!

I am so glad you were able to recover so quickly. I did the same thing "once" and couldn't get the silly needle out but I finally was able to take needle out of the machine and get free. Just like it just happened and it has been a long time ago.

I'm so sorry to hear of your finger hope it feels better real soon.
    O my do watch out for those snakes, I was bit by a large Diamond back Rattler when I was like 11 years old and I can tell you it was no fun , my Dad saved me by drawing out as much poison as he could and tyeing it off till they could get me into town to a Hospital. Just be careful girl!!!

I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Boy did it ever hurt. The needle wen through my right index finger. I can not figure out why I stuck my finger under there. Not paying attention I guess. It hurt super bad for a few minutes then went numb. Then was sore for a few days but I survived. This was probably the fourth or fifth time I have done it over the years. Sewing is kinda like driving, you have to pay attention.

The worst pain ever had to be when I mashed my thumb in the closet doors. They slid really well, and I was not paying attention, I think it is my blond thing. I would take a needle through my finger any day over that. I did it at bedtime, and by morning it was hurting so bad I was sick to my stomach. My husband told me to heat up a needle and poke it through. Nope, didn't work. I went to his tool box and got the finest drill bit I could find and just slowly started working on making a little hole in my nail. It took all day, I am not kidding. My husband told me to grit my teeth and just do it, but I could not. I was such a baby. But I finally got it through and sweet relief. You would not think a hole in your nail would feel good, but it did.

Oh how I love my hand sewing...Im sorry for your pain..I hope it is better soon!take care now..

ouch!! my fingers curled up tight at the thought - do hope it heals quickly and your not in too much pain

Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    I was free motion quilting yesterday on my new Janome Horizon, and noticed dust on the clear plastic foot that I had on it, and decided to sweep it away with my right finger as I sewed. A terrible moment as the machine jarred and grrrd and I sewed right through the side of my finger. I managed to turn the machine off with my left hand by reaching across, all the time realising that the machine would just keep grinding away as the needle was out of alignment now and unless one instantly turns it off the needle will grind down and break off. I then wound the needle back up with the winder on the right hand end and removed it from my finger. Luckily it had missed the fingernail however it had driven the needle right through my finger and out the other side. Apart from feeling green for a while and stopping the bleeding I have survived.

The lesson of the story, it is just so easy to lose concentration for that one split second and do something utterly stupid like I did. Always turn your machine off before attempting to clean a foot, change a needle etc will now be my new motto!!!
    I feel your pain! That's two of us within a week. Hope your finger heals as well as mine did.

Blog Entries
    ooohh, I have done that before. you have my sympathy!

I was free motion quilting yesterday on my new Janome Horizon, and noticed dust on the clear plastic foot that I had on it, and decided to sweep it away with my right finger as I sewed. A terrible moment as the machine jarred and grrrd and I sewed right through the side of my finger. I managed to turn the machine off with my left hand by reaching across, all the time realising that the machine would just keep grinding away as the needle was out of alignment now and unless one instantly turns it off the needle will grind down and break off. I then wound the needle back up with the winder on the right hand end and removed it from my finger. Luckily it had missed the fingernail however it had driven the needle right through my finger and out the other side. Apart from feeling green for a while and stopping the bleeding I have survived.

The lesson of the story, it is just so easy to lose concentration for that one split second and do something utterly stupid like I did. Always turn your machine off before attempting to clean a foot, change a needle etc will now be my new motto!!!

Ouch, That hurts. I ran a sewing machine needle through my pinky finger nail whenI was first learning to and have never done it again.

Today had tetanus shot and am now on antibiotics as the finger is infected despite the new machine needle that did the damage. I feel fine though am very careful round the machine now though.

Hope you heal quickly -- we all can relate -- even sewing by hand can be injurious, at least for me -- so sorry

So glad you got it all taken care of. You will be fit as a fiddle and up to your old tricks again in no time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast