Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - I sewed myself to my quilt with my machine! >

Help - I sewed myself to my quilt with my machine!

Help - I sewed myself to my quilt with my machine!

Old 11-27-2010, 12:43 PM

Such a surprise when this happens ! I have fake nails and ran one to close to the foot and bam ! it cracked it and my nail down the middle !!!! ouch ouch ouch !!! Needless to say I've not gotten my finger or nail ! that close to the foot again !!! Hang in there and before you know it you'll be back in there sewing away ! gentle hugs
Old 11-27-2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by dsb38327
I am so sorry that happened! It happens in a split second too! I am glad you are going to be okay. Sit here on the couch by me and we will read the Quiltingboard. I will get the chocolates. Would you care for coffee? Tea?
Ask me why I am on the couch instead of sewing. Oh, it is not a large or deep cut. It is on the fatty part of my right thumb. I am right handed. Got it today when I was sharpening my rotary blade.
I will never again daydream while I have a rotary blade anywhere near me. !!!! I hate it when I do something like that. Yep, happens in a split second. The mind wanders, Ouch!!

Sisters together by the sound of it:) Yes, quilting can be dangerous! It takes courage to quilt, ladies! Rotary cutters, machines, dropped pins, and I once drove one of those straight through my big toe and out the other side, it was a defining moment in bonding with my new stepson as he ran to the shed to get pliers and literally pliered the pin out of my foot. I loved him from then on! A nurse friend told me they often had patients with pins broken off in the soles of their feet. Yes, a coffee and chocolates sounds fabulous thankyou :)
Care for more coffee?
Old 11-27-2010, 12:50 PM

well, congratulations. you have joined THE CLUB! lol
really sorry for your hurt, hope it is all better real soon.

it could have been much worse. my father ran his hand under a press of some kind and lost half a thumb. my son (age 3) told him if he went to the doctor he could make it "all better". at least you can make it all better with some therapy fabric shopping. i think you have earned it.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:52 PM

Now THAT is a good idea pdcakm - now where is my husband's credit card.....hmmmmmmm..........:)
Old 11-27-2010, 01:06 PM

I did that lasr Summer when I made my lone star quilt. I was sewing the last part of the boarder on and bang! The needle went through my finger and I did not turn off the machine. I just took my foot off the pedal and yanked my finger out and it took part of my finger off so part of it is missing, but you can't tell now but there is a little bit of a scar and it has not been the same since then. So I now do not put my foot on the pedal until I'm ready to stitch. Good luck with it. It will heal up in a couple weeks or days. Mine took a few weeks. Huggies, Fay
Old 11-27-2010, 01:21 PM

Oh Fay - that must have been horrendous for you. I am sorry to hear your finger has not been the same since you injured it. I might add that my mother did the same thing using a treadle machine when I was a small child and still bears the scar on the end of her finger. So it is not only the electric ones that can do the damage.

Pass those chocolates and coffee on to Fay please, she sounds like she missed out on them the first time around.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

hope it gets well soon. that's one reason i worry about teaching children to sew. We have to watch them every moment , like we watch ourselves-not!
Old 11-27-2010, 02:08 PM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

I'm so sorry this happened to you! When I was about 10 my mom did the very same thing. Only she actually ran three stitches through her nail before she got it stopped.

I think that a sit down on the couch with tea/coffee and chocolate sounds like a really great idea.

However, please don't tell my husband this...I'm hoping to get the 7700 next spring and if he thinks it's dangerous....LOL
Old 11-27-2010, 02:08 PM

I'm so sorry this happened to you! When I was about 10 my mom did the very same thing. Only she actually ran three stitches through her nail before she got it stopped.

I think that a sit down on the couch with tea/coffee and chocolate sounds like a really great idea.

However, please don't tell my husband this...I'm hoping to get the 7700 next spring and if he thinks it's dangerous....LOL
Old 11-27-2010, 02:09 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmm....that's interesting. I thought I only pushed send once. Oh well.