Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!!  PLEASE HELP!! >

HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!

HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!

Old 05-31-2011, 02:07 PM

Yup! Janome's have a wick! Is that what you have?? I did the very same thing...pulled it out but got it back in easily. Good luck!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by abdconsultant
take any lint, fabric or stuff out from around the bobbin case. If you have your manual use it. I alway keep the manual to my machines and occasionally have to reread them. If you don't have your manual, order one on line.

Rethread your machine and replace the needle. that is a good place to start once you've cleaned it.
good luck.
I've found with my new machine I have to clean it out after so much sewing. It starts to make noise and the stiches get weird. Usually I clean out the lint, blow it out with canned air and re-thread, good as new.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
That sounds odd. I don't know why that would be there or atleast i have never heard of anything like that. Have you tried runnung your machine to see if it is running better now? I have found things inside my machine that has had me boggled at times. I think there is goblin that does it just to confuse me.
I did get the wick back in and it seems to be running OK now, but I still have that thumping sound so I'm going to change the needle as so many other members suggested.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingaz
I don't know what kind of machine you have, but I have never seen anything like that in bobbin case. I don't think something like that should be there. I think it is time for a service on machine.
I have the Singer Futura Embroider sewing machine I bought new about 2 years ago. So, it isn't one of the older machines and, yes, it is a wick and is very oily. I did get it back in and it seems to be working but I still have that thumping. I'll change the needle to see if that helps.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:28 PM

Sounds like the oiling wick in my Janome 6600. You don't remove it, just put a drop of sewing machine oil on it when it needs it.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:34 PM

I want to thank each and everyone one of you wonderful members!! I have the Singer Futura Emborider sewing machine and after all the suggestions and tips, I found that it is indeed a wick and it is very oily! Funny finding that in a sewing machine. I did get the wick back in that tiny hole as so many members suggested I try to do. It seems to be sewing OK, but I still have that thumping sound so I will try the other tips on changing the needle. After that I just might take it in for a professional cleaning and ajusting.
Thanks again so much guys! I knew I could get my answers from you. You all are the greatest!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
YEP! it's an oil wick, may have to have service tech replace it, not have any clues about the thread problem
what is an oil wick? what machine do you have?
Old 05-31-2011, 02:36 PM

oops see you said what you have, but I don't get a wick thing
Old 05-31-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR
YEP! it's an oil wick, may have to have service tech replace it, not have any clues about the thread problem
An oil wick it what was used in old oil lamps, the wick is the fabric like thing sticking out of the top of the lamp that you would lite with a match. Kinda like a candle but in a glass lamp that held oil to light it. I have the Singer Futura emborider sewing machine it's only about 2 or 3 years old. I have never heard of a wick in a sewing machine.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by susanwilley
Originally Posted by CAS49OR
An oil wick it what was used in old oil lamps, the wick is the fabric like thing sticking out of the top of the lamp that you would lite with a match. Kinda like a candle but in a glass lamp that held oil to light it. I have the Singer Futura emborider sewing machine it's only about 2 or 3 years old. I have never heard of a wick in a sewing machine.
I don't get why there would be an oil wick in a machine. Even the old machines had to get drops of oil, mine says it never has to be oiled.