Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!!  PLEASE HELP!! >

HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!

HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!

Old 05-30-2011, 05:54 AM

I was just trying to sew and my stitches were long, then short, then long and it would stop sewing. So, I rethreaded, which seemed to help somewhat, I thought. It was making a low thumping sound and would still stop sewing. I thought maybe the bobbin needed rethreading. I tried that and I could not pick up the bobbin thread. Made sure the bobbin was facing the right way and still could not pick it up. OK, maybe the case needs dusting. Took off the face plate pulled out the case, it doesn't look too bad but still a little dusty. Got out my little brush and start brushing away. Then I notice what looks like a glob of dust right there in the middle where the little hole is. It won't brush out so I get my tweezers thinking I have a pretty good glob of lint. I pull it out and yikes it is a whole little piece of fabric, but wait is that what it is?? On closer inspection it looks like a wick?? Oh no!!, did I pull out something that should be there?? Should I put it back, is it something to do with oiling the machine?
Can someone help? Has anyone ever come across this piece in the bobbin case, I never noticed it myself?
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but, I am completely at a loss here. I clean and oil my machine but I just don't know what this is.
Thanks for any help you guys can give me. You were the first thought to come to mind for help!
Susan
Old 05-30-2011, 06:01 AM

take any lint, fabric or stuff out from around the bobbin case. If you have your manual use it. I alway keep the manual to my machines and occasionally have to reread them. If you don't have your manual, order one on line.

Rethread your machine and replace the needle. that is a good place to start once you've cleaned it.
good luck.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:01 AM

YEP! it's an oil wick, may have to have service tech replace it, not have any clues about the thread problem
Old 05-30-2011, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

That sounds odd. I don't know why that would be there or atleast i have never heard of anything like that. Have you tried runnung your machine to see if it is running better now? I have found things inside my machine that has had me boggled at times. I think there is goblin that does it just to confuse me.

Originally Posted by kathy
YEP! it's an oil wick, may have to have service tech replace it, not have any clues about the thread problem
OH NOOO!!! Oh crap! Just my luck! Thanks ao much for your help, at least now I know not to throw it away!

I don't know what kind of machine you have, but I have never seen anything like that in bobbin case. I don't think something like that should be there. I think it is time for a service on machine.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
That sounds odd. I don't know why that would be there or atleast i have never heard of anything like that. Have you tried runnung your machine to see if it is running better now? I have found things inside my machine that has had me boggled at times. I think there is goblin that does it just to confuse me.
I think you're right about that cj, mine defineatley has a goblin to confuse me too! It seems it is a wick and should be there, I'm gonna try to put it back myself. Wish me luck!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:10 AM

My machine has that and it is indeed an oil wick. I have a Janome, and when it was new I did the same thing. I was able to put it back into the hole. I was told that was the only place I needed to put oil. Carefully try to put it back. I was able to do that and the machine worked fine after that. I wasn't having any problem before though. Maybe the funny sounds your machine was making was some other problem. Hope you get it fixed without a costly repair.
Sue
Old 05-30-2011, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

The thumping noise is usually a bad needle, either dull or it has dropped down a hair out of it's slot. Please post your solution. I'm trying to keep a record of all machine problems and the fixes.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

This wick is not in the bobbin case, it is below it :wink:
I tried to pull mine out too, the first time I cleaned my new machine :oops: It is a common mistake :wink:

I hope that you get this figured out so you can get back to sewing soon :D:D:D