Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!!  PLEASE HELP!! >

HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!

HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!

Old 05-31-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by birdlady
Oh no Susan, I had the same problem on my Singer Future. I did all of the same things that you did. I got so upset that I called Singer and was told that my machine had jumped time. I took it into a shop and was told yes in fact it had jumped time and needed to be adjusted. Cost me $75.00 to have it cleaned and adjusted. Now it runs like it is brand new. Check with a shop in your area FAST before it cost you lots of $$$$$
The Singer Futura is what I have too. You would think Singer would give you a warning about those little wicks. I did get it back in but still have that sound. I hope it isn't the timing but if it is I hope my area repair shop is 75.00 that doesn't sound to bad considering.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:43 PM

I wish you luck. If you keep having the noise be careful. I had to replace my bobbin housing
Old 05-31-2011, 05:55 PM

I HAVE A JANOME IN TEXAS AND WAS NOT AWARE OF THE WICK. I WAS TOLD THE MACHINE NEVER NEEDS OIL. HARD TO BELIEVE. I'M GOING TO CHECK IT OUT WHEN I GET BACK ON OCTOBER. MY ELNA HAS A THUMPING NOISE---GUESS I BETTER CHANGE THE NEEDLE
Old 05-31-2011, 05:59 PM

You might want to check the threading directons. I missed one little "eye" on a different machine that I was quilting with and the thread kept breaking. It is amazing how that one little thing can make the thread break.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by sandy l
Originally Posted by Shelbie
Janomes have that oil wick and the manual does not even mention it. Stuff it back in there if you can and add a drop of oil. Your bobbin case gets noisy and will even jump out of place if this oil wick dries out. My machine was terribly noisy and the bobbin case rattled and banged and my dealer kept telling me it was operator error. I kept trying to force my machine to stitch and finally put the needle right through the bobbin case. I finally found out about this troublesome wick hole from another Janome 6500 owner. I now just add a drop of oil when I thoroughly clean my machine or if it sounds noisy. Why isn't this information in the operator's manual????
I just got a Janome 6600 Sat. (early birthday present and am doing the happy dance). Anyway, I looked in my manual, and it doesn't say anything about oiling either. I looked for something that looks like a wick, but didn't see anything.
If you take out the bobbin, then take out the bobbin case, the wick is in the little hole right in the center of where the bobbin case sits.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:05 AM

for years they have put oil wicks in sewing machines, it lets the oil drip slowly to the parts needing it. a sewing machine is like any other tool, it needs oil of some type some place from time to time.why do you think you are suppost to take it in once a year to be checked? they should take it apart and service it where you can not get to it. if the machine is all plastic it gets no oil. if it has metal gears it gets grease, you can even use vaseline on metal gears. however, the old singers FW's must have only "motor grease" in the motor. that is why old machines have felt drip pads under the heads to catch the oil run off and save you fabric from oil stains.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by gale
Originally Posted by sandy l
Originally Posted by Shelbie
Janomes have that oil wick and the manual does not even mention it. Stuff it back in there if you can and add a drop of oil. Your bobbin case gets noisy and will even jump out of place if this oil wick dries out. My machine was terribly noisy and the bobbin case rattled and banged and my dealer kept telling me it was operator error. I kept trying to force my machine to stitch and finally put the needle right through the bobbin case. I finally found out about this troublesome wick hole from another Janome 6500 owner. I now just add a drop of oil when I thoroughly clean my machine or if it sounds noisy. Why isn't this information in the operator's manual????
I just got a Janome 6600 Sat. (early birthday present and am doing the happy dance). Anyway, I looked in my manual, and it doesn't say anything about oiling either. I looked for something that looks like a wick, but didn't see anything.
If you take out the bobbin, then take out the bobbin case, the wick is in the little hole right in the center of where the bobbin case sits.
Found it. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:17 PM

It's an oil wick, sister, and you need to get her serviced by a tech. :)
Old 06-03-2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
YEP! it's an oil wick, may have to have service tech replace it, not have any clues about the thread problem
I did the same thing with my Singer but thankfully I hadn't pulled it all the way out when I realized it was a wick; I was lucky enough to get it stuffed back in. Sound like you'll need to have a tech do it; good luck. One thing I didn't see mentioned is whether you checked to see if you needle was inserted correctly. This reminds me of a time when I was a young girl and we couldn't get my mom's White to stitch correctly. Loaded that baby up, sewing table and all into the trunk of my parents' '64 Merc and took it to the shop. Boy did we feel stupid when all it was was the needle in backwards.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter2B
Originally Posted by kathy
YEP! it's an oil wick, may have to have service tech replace it, not have any clues about the thread problem
I did the same thing with my Singer but thankfully I hadn't pulled it all the way out when I realized it was a wick; I was lucky enough to get it stuffed back in. Sound like you'll need to have a tech do it; good luck. One thing I didn't see mentioned is whether you checked to see if you needle was inserted correctly. This reminds me of a time when I was a young girl and we couldn't get my mom's White to stitch correctly. Loaded that baby up, sewing table and all into the trunk of my parents' '64 Merc and took it to the shop. Boy did we feel stupid when all it was was the needle in backwards.
I did get the wick back in and it seems to be sewing fine, except for that thumping. A few members suggestions changing the needle or to check if it had slipped down. Changing the needle is what I will be doing today befores sewing.
Thanks so much for your suggestion!