Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Helping a Quilting Wife

Just wondering ... does your wife frequent the Boards? and if we have to worry about keeping it a surprise for her?

My husband asked me what I REALLY wanted for Christmas last year and my honest answer was gift certificates for JoAnne's. We don't have a local quilt shop. Shopping with gift cards is so much fun and I always buy things I wouldn't otherwise.

My husband make me racks to put my large cones of thread on. They hang on the wall next to my Long Arm. He also framed out peg boards to hang my rulers etc. Can't have enough peg boards. A large ironing surface is also very helpful if she does not already have one.

Then someone suggested dinner.....that would be awesome! When I'm on a roll I hate to stop working to make dinner.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeMadeME
    Although I help put up shelves for fabric, look for months for a good table the right size and then customize it for height, etc.... any suggestions that I might surprise my wife with?? You know, something out of the blue... a complete surprise???
    Have someone clean the house for her so that she can quilt all day without interruptions.

My husband is a great guy too!!! He has made me alot of things for the hobby/sewing room. Some are as simple as making a wooden foot pedal holder with carpet grip on the bottom to keep my pedal from running away when I'm sewing, he made me a wooden large spool holder that he used a antenna type to raise and lower to what machine I'm using. (he went to Harbour Freight and got the antenna type little mirror and took the mirror off). He made me wood with hooks to go on the inside of my cabinet doors for storage. He made me spool holders out of wood strips and dowel rods. took wood and dowel rods to hold my ribbon spools, made wooden plank and put hooks on it to hold different size rulers, made me a wall hanger for my ironing board,... Guess I'll stop, I'm sure I'm boring everyone, but hopefully maybe I gave you some ideas. I can say this " I've loved each and everything he has made me. Because I know he didn't have to, he did it because we love each other!" Have fun!

Blog Entries
    How about a quilting RV so that when you go on your fabric shopping trips you can stay in your own home, she can sew while you travel and you can spend lots of quiet time together wherever you stop to see the sights? Works for us!!

What a lucky lady.

Blog Entries
    Ur so sweet! Ty!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    A small flat screen TV mounted on a wall so as not to take up table space.

A quilt rack to display a surprise antique quilt. (2 in one here!)

A copy of the coveted "A Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns" by Jinny Beyer.....cheapest at www.connectingthreads.com

Jan in VA

Chair -- its all in a comfortable workable chair with no arms -- and the office plastic that goes underneath it so you can roll and turn to the ironing board or cutting table with ease. You're a great guy ! Have fun deciding what to get or do for your wife !

Blog Entries
    If you think she'd be interested in designing and printing her own fabric, you could try a gift certificate to Spoonflower.com. My blog buddy, Cindi, likes to doodle, so I took some of her doodles and had them printed on fabric. She loved it.

http://www.seamstobeyouandme.com/wor...wer-christmas/

I want to say cook her dinner naked, but that might be too scandalous... It would be a surprise though!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluelady
    I want to say cook her dinner naked, but that might be too scandalous... It would be a surprise though!
    No bacon!!!

I would think dinner and a trip to the fabric store.
    yep sounds good to me.

Perhaps a specialty ruler and instruction book?e.g.Lazy angle ruler, X block or Renae's Ray- all have books with projects to utilise the rule.

Blog Entries
    A thread rack! I wish I could find the photo, but one of the embroidery groups I belong to had a member's picture of the most amazing thread rack. It looked like it was made from the frame of a folding louvered door with thread holder rods running across. It was fabulous.

My husband made me a big board for ironing, I wouldn't be without it. He is very supportive of my quilting in many ways, but the things he has made for me are the best!!

So I love the quilting RV idea! Recently, we remodeled the basement (my studio) adding a bathroom, updated electricity and updated lighting. One of the best things was purchasing linking 24 inch flourescent lights and adding them to the underside of my longarm. I can turn on just the middle ones or as many as I like. It lights up very well so I can see the underside of the quilt and the quality of stitching. I hope the picture helps. If she uses mirrors on the table, it reduces the amount of bending and such for quality control. Good question by the way!

underside lighting
    Name:  Attachment-198164.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  41.5 KB

Really good ideas above. The best gift I received was a chair from the office supply that can be raised and lowered. It rolls around, swivels and can be adjusted for back support. Before this chair came to live in my sewing room, I suffered aching back, arms and neck. I can now sit at the machine for longer periods of time without pain.

Really good ideas above. The best gift I received was a chair from the office supply that can be raised and lowered. It rolls around, swivels and can be adjusted for back support. Before this chair came to live in my sewing room, I suffered aching back, arms and neck. I can now sit at the machine for longer periods of time without pain.

Drive her to a couple quilt shops and take her out to lunch! I would love that!

Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeMadeME
    Wow!! Lots of ideas... I have surprised her with a trip to the hot springs and a massage... driven 150 miles to Mary Jo's in Gastonia, NC just so she can look for fabric, and several others,,, BUT, look at all the other ideas!!!! THANKS!!!
    Do you have a brother?????????????

Can we clone you?

Blog Entries
    How about a good comfy chair thats adjustable

I have no brother, but, if you can clone me just send my commission in the mail. These are some really great ideas and thanks to all who have commented. As for making dinner naked, I really don't want her to lose her appetite. lol

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast