Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: High Praise Indeed!

We all love to read the admiring remarks on here when posting pictures or hear those great or little praises of our quilts--all the time, love and work that goes into them. I'm no different, but tonight I received the greatest praise of all. My 6 year old DD walked into my quilting room where I was desperately trying to fit some pressing in before dinner was ready, and proclaimed, "Mommy, you're such an awesome quilter person!" :XD: As a homeschooler, my distracted mind's first response was to correct her grammar when what she said really struck me. That was my, "Aha!" moment. The moment of praise that really brought tears to my eyes. What was yours?

Blog Entries
    Wonderful story and lesson!
    mine is out of no where, my 3 year old grandson simple says
    " i love you granma".. and "you cook good stuff"..

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I think mine was when my then 10 year ol daughter hugged me and proclaimed she was "gonna live with you forever!"

She's married now, a well-respected pediatrician, but she still calls me each morning from Colorado to ride to work with her.

Jan in VA

Blog Entries
    When my 6 year old grandson would just be sitting at the
    table eating breakfast or lunch & look over at me & out of
    nowhere, say, "Grandma, I just love the quilt you made for me".

Mine was the day my 20 something daughter said "Now I understand why you told us that!!"

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure I've had mine yet :(

Blog Entries
    My 26 years old daughter still says, "I am glad that you are my Mama."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn
    Don't worry...it'll come when it's meant to come!! :-)

Mine was when my youngest daughter was about 8 and she told me "I want to grow up just like you". From then on I went to great lengths to prove that she hadn't placed her admiration with an unworthy mom....it changed my life. Literally!! She's now 26 with 2 kids of her own, and I hope she has that same "Aha" moment!! The Lord knows what we each need....and when.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Mine was when my DD who was 13 or 14 said your the best Mom. You don't let us go out and run around so we don't get in trouble like other kids do. Then her brother who is a year and a half younger agreed with her.

Mine was when I gave my grandson a quilt for his third birthday. He opened it up and said, "A Blankey!" He grabbed it, still folded up, and went up the stairs to his bedroom, leaving all the party guests and other presents. I followed him upstairs and into his bedroom where he was trying to lay the quilt out on his bed.

I helped him lay it on his bed and then he kneeled on it and started naming the animals.

He wants that quilt at home and at daycare and says, "Mamaw made me."

My heart swells with joy and love to think of it. :XD:

edited to add... I thought it was a question just about quilting but I see the other replies!!! :-D

DJ
    Wonderful praise! You know it's from the heart!

:cry: Those are all so wonderful. I really am crying over here and my DH is now questioning whether I need to be on this board so often, :lol: . I've had so many touching moments with my girls and treasure them all but that one little comment, out of nowhere and during my busiest time of day, really stopped me. My oldest is 8 and still thinks I'm the "best mommy in the world." My father informs me that my time is coming and soon, I'll know what he went through during my teen years. :-( Maybe that's what helps me to cherish these times. Tonight's "Aha" moment really just applied to the quilting--really feeling like a good quilter, despite all of my mistakes, thanks to the praise of a 6 year old. But, it really helps to boost the mommy pride at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn
    If I could point out one right now, I'd have to say that the contented peace of your furry friend on a quilted treasure in your avatar picture could definitely serve to prove that you're cherished and important! :mrgreen:

RST
    Blog Entries
    I made my niece a quilt for her 2nd birthday. She was not feeling so good for her party, and was a little cranky and weepy. When she opened the quilt (with matching doll quilt for her favorite baby) she beamed, scooped the quilts up, and ran to her room, where she politely asked to be put to bed for her nap time. Nothing my SIL could say would convince her to come back to her party -- she wanted to cuddle w/ her quiltie.

RST

I've been lucky enough to have several (married for 31years, raised 2 children, have 1 grandson, been teaching elementary education for 31 years, quilting etc.) Most recently, my grandson snuggled next to me and declared, "Grammy, you're mine forever. We make a good team." (He likes to work with me in my studio.)

One of my treasured phrases came from my daughterm now married and with a little boy. Her comment was "gee mom, I'm begining to sound just like you!"

Mine was a few years back when I surprised all the kids and grandkids with quilts for Christmas.... the "oh mom's and wow gramma's" made my heart smile! :)

Recently i got a phone message from my 30 year old daughter
    "hey mom, I was getting ready to go out for the evening tonite and as I looked in the mirror, I saw a beautiful woman looking back at me-YOU>" had to cry over that one

I have moments with all my kids very often. The most recent one was this morning when my 16th year old came to see me before school because he wanted to go to an Art supplies store in Manhattan after school and wanted to make sure I could go with him. Just two weeks ago he asked me to meet him for lunch when he had half day of school. He loves to hang out with me and I love it. So do Emi, but we all know that already.

My then little grandaughter had the stomach flu....she told her Momma that she needed the quilt Nonnie made 'cause it had love sewn into it. The kids in that family call the quilts I made for them "Nonnie Love".

When my 3 year old (now 4) looked at me one day and said "Momma you make my heart happy" and when she out of the blue said "no matter where I am I will always come back for you" ... the last one she got from a show she watches on Nick Jr but still melted my heart. ☺

My AH HA moment came when I heard "my words" coming out of her mouth when she was talking to her kids. It was a light bulb going off that some things really did sink in. grin

Quote Originally Posted by CoriAmD
    Mine was a few years back when I surprised all the kids and grandkids with quilts for Christmas.... the "oh mom's and wow gramma's" made my heart smile! :)
    I will be doing that in a couple weeks with my kids and grandkids....we'll see:)

I was sharing a story w/ my mom several years ago - Every summer, we would have to empty the kitchen cupboards, wash them down and put stuff back.

Now i think it was giving us something to do during the summer instead of just veggin' - but after living in one place for 8 yrs and moving out, I was amazed at how dirty the kitchen cupboards were inside!! I told her that now I know why she made us do that. Her response was that she was glad i learned my lesson, because during those days I only did a half-a-- job! :lol:

And to share an Out of the mouths of babes....On 9/11, the kids(6&9) came home from school and we talked about it some because we were heading to church.

The oldest one said that "This wouldn't have happened if Adam & Eve wouldn't have eaten that apple"

:-D

Blog Entries
    Hi Marilyn.
    Would love to see a larger picture of your avatar. It looks like cat fabric or panel. I am a cat lover. If you could post a bigger picture I would appreciate it. Thank you and have a wonderful Holiday. Doris

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast