Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hoarding >

Hoarding

Hoarding

Old 02-27-2015, 07:00 PM

I used to buy only what I needed for a project, didn't really have a stash. But now, it seems that the print on fabrics is such poor quality. Old fabrics were precise and detailed, today's are blurry. Today's Christmas fabrics are weird colors, and it's hard to find attractive prints that aren't licensed. I wish that I had bought more of what was interesting in years past, because sometimes I walk out of a store with nothing. Unless you are downsizing or have a reason to have to get rid of some, I would keep it.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:43 PM

I've discussed this with my husband and it was decided:

Since most of the stuff in this house, except the fabric, came from farm auctions I have been going to for years, that would be the perfect way to clear the house (when I'm gone) Have a big auction!
Or, have a big huge house sale, everything free!

This is not quilting related but in the same conversation, it was decided that the four dogs I have had cremated, just cremate me, mix all the 'remains' together, and spread it all over the back yard. That's where we spent a lot of our lives anyways.
I know, more than you wanted to know

What does he think of my fabric? I really think he takes great pride in being able to give me a life that we can afford it.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
Come join us over in the Fabric Moratorium thread. http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...259073-30.html
There are a few of us who came to the realization that we needed to stop the madness in our sewing rooms.
From this statement, am I to assume you've been able to confine your madness to your sewing room? Lucky you!
Old 02-27-2015, 08:41 PM

Have you & hubby ever watched the hoarders tv show -- it does not sound like you are at that stage. But maybe a volume limit would be something to think about. He sees me sewing, so he doesn't say anything.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:09 PM

I think that as long as it is organized and you KNOW where your fabric is then it is not hoarding..just saying...Here is my story, tomorrow I am giving a class on making a 4-patch lap quilt..I sent the pattern and supply like including fabric needs. i suggested that if any of them couldn't get out to buy the fabric i could supply a kit for a fee..He he he they all want a kit so I spent all day yesterday putting together 8 Kits.. including backing, batting and binding.. all from my stash!!! I will teach them to tie the comforter.

It's what you do with what you have. I bought it when I was working, now that I am retired I have to have a good reason to spend on fabric and its mostly to finish a project .
Old 02-27-2015, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs Finch View Post
Have you & hubby ever watched the hoarders tv show -- it does not sound like you are at that stage. But maybe a volume limit would be something to think about. He sees me sewing, so he doesn't say anything.
We don't watch the hoarders show--though I have known a few hoarders over the years. I guess this is my own guilt trip. When my children were young, I made many of their clothes. I prided myself on only having a handful of scraps left when I finished a garment. When I look at my unused fabric, I feel guilty. Perhaps the money I have spent for fabric sitting unused in stacks could be used for something else or to help someone. If I don't do anything with this fabric, it might classify as hoarding it. Some scrap quilts and a little gifting might just take care of the guilt.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:15 PM
Power Poster

If a quilter holds on to every scrap, every old spool of thread, a broken ruler, or dull pins then I think that is hoarding and there is a problem.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:01 PM

I live in a 2 bed cottage. Every room has quilting notions in,yes I am a hoarder. I have a fabric stash which grows like Topsy. I am desperate for help.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:21 PM

Dottymo, if you are feeling overwhelmed, Ill come down for a day and help you organise, I'm up in central Scotland, so a few hours drive, or you could try other tips here on the board set a timer and spend 30 mins a time, put into 3 piles, keep donate and bin. Xx
Old 02-28-2015, 03:11 AM

Your stash might not sound like it's at the problem stage to us, but if you feel at all guilty, overwhelmed by, dragged down by, or not loving what you have, then I'd say it's time to pare down.

I think that by asking the question, you have concerns about yourself being tempted to hoard. But hoarding really
has a messy, disordered, useless and even unsafe component to it. Like up-to-your waist in fabric, fabric falling out of stuffed closets, fabric covering last month's pizza carryout box with mold growing, broken pins and cracked bobbins being saved, 14 coffee-cups-turned-science-experiments sitting around your sewing room with Snickers wrappers strewn about. That's the true picture of hoarding ( a mental disorder by definition).

I don't think it's helpful to compare our stash "problem" to our mate's or to anyone else's, for that matter. It's not a contest and it's not even healthy. We can justify ours by comparing it to our mate's, but it doesn't unburden us if we're feeling that OUR stuff--what we can control--weighs us down and keeps us from feeling joy.

I'm preaching to the choir here. I'm constantly evaluating "how much is too much"? I have a small stash "compared to" probably most of you (confined to two dressers and a few scrap bins) but I still have pieces I'll probably never use but still wrestle about parting with.

Try giving away or selling a tote bag's worth of fabric for starters. You won't miss it. I guarantee that.