Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hoarding >

Hoarding

Hoarding

Old 02-28-2015, 03:11 AM

I'd start sewing up scrap quilts. I love my stash, I don't like the yardage prices nowadays and am glad I have lots to sew up.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:32 AM

It's not hoarding if it is stash that you will use. It might be time to ask yourself "will I use this." If not, then and only then should you get rid of it. I expect my stash to outlive me, or some of it at least. And after that let someone else enjoy using it. I expect to use up all of myself but let the quilts and fabric live on
Old 02-28-2015, 05:43 AM

I thought my husband was the only nut hoarder. Sounds like he is normal. We have a whole full basement filled with his toys and I don't know how he find anything. I have a small room in the basement that is my sewing area. I have not gotten a very big stash. I pretty much buy what I need and then try to make a scrap quilt sometimes. Last year I did buy oriental fabric without knowing what I was going to do with it. I have it hanging in my closet. I don't want to have too much material. It is confusing to me and when I want to make something from a piece I have I ususally have to go buy something to go with it. It is never ending but fun.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Material Witness View Post
I used to buy only what I needed for a project, didn't really have a stash. But now, it seems that the print on fabrics is such poor quality. Old fabrics were precise and detailed, today's are blurry. Today's Christmas fabrics are weird colors, and it's hard to find attractive prints that aren't licensed. I wish that I had bought more of what was interesting in years past, because sometimes I walk out of a store with nothing. Unless you are downsizing or have a reason to have to get rid of some, I would keep it.
I agree completely. I used to say that I'd never met a Christmas fabric I didn't like, but no more. I have 2 baskets the size of banker boxes, and I'm lucky to have them. The newer fabrics will never go with them, and while I do like a few, it hasn't made sense to bring any home.

A lot of my stash seems to come from buying the wrong thing. I am very particular about color and tend to come home with things that work, but somehow don't fit the total mix. I have a banker box-size accumulation of peach rejects from the last project, enough to make 2 more quilts. Perhaps I'll become more fond of it in time.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 02-28-2015, 06:44 AM

Default sounds like mine!

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
It does not sound like you have a problem yet. When you have to use several rooms in the house to store your stash, then you have a problem. When my husband says anything, I remind him that he has a double wide garage that has never seen a car in it.
I have only one room for quilting. However, my husband has barns. One for a mechanic shop, one for a welding shop, one for a wood working shop, and one for boat storage
Old 02-28-2015, 06:57 AM

I have a general rule of thumb. If you have not used any of a particular fabric in over 2 years, get rid of it. It's not inspiring you enough to make something. My rule used to be 1 year, but that seemed too short. Ya gotta have some stash available for those projects that pop up. Also, if you've used only part of the fabric and you do scrappy projects, then keeping the rest for another year is OK. but after that, it's gone, baby gone.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
We don't watch the hoarders show--though I have known a few hoarders over the years. I guess this is my own guilt trip. When my children were young, I made many of their clothes. I prided myself on only having a handful of scraps left when I finished a garment. When I look at my unused fabric, I feel guilty. Perhaps the money I have spent for fabric sitting unused in stacks could be used for something else or to help someone. If I don't do anything with this fabric, it might classify as hoarding it. Some scrap quilts and a little gifting might just take care of the guilt.
I'm the same way. If it's making you feel bad then use it, or lose it. It's bad Juju in the house.

~ Cindy
Old 02-28-2015, 07:28 AM

Hoarding is a state of mind and not really dependent on quantity. When your "stuff" controls you and causes anguish and guilt, then it is time to evaluate.

Also, if things are organized and you can find what you need, it makes for much peace of mind.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:34 AM

DH and I do not compete nor complain about each other's hobbies. I support him and he very lovingly supports me. We appreciate each other's accomplishments. Now, concerning our stashes (his is wood and mine is fabric) we stop ourselves from over buying and using what we have accumulated. This makes for a very happy home life.

At times, I won't even go into a fabric store when I have the opportunity because I am very stimulated by color and I know I will want to buy fabric I don't really 'need'. That works really well for me.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I live in a 2 bed cottage. Every room has quilting notions in,yes I am a hoarder. I have a fabric stash which grows like Topsy. I am desperate for help.
Dottymo, I can say I don't have anything quilting related in my bathroom. I do keep my batting stash in the lower kitchen cabinets that are very deep. My stash and other things are stored in my 2nd bedroom and a few bolts are in the master bedroom closet. My quilting studio is in my Living/Dining room area. But as long as the bathroom is free of quilting clutter, we are NOT yet hoarders. STILL trying to get organized!