Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hoarding >

Hoarding

Hoarding

Old 03-01-2015, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

I think it becomes a problem when it's overflowing everywhere and you can't store it neatly. When you have little trails to walk through between the mountains of stash, you just MIGHT be a hoarder.

We need Jeff Foxworthy to write us some funny "You might be a horder" lines!

BTW, hoarders don't usually worry that they are hoarding, so just having considered it surely you can't be a hoarder, LOL.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:16 AM

I didn't want my fabric to get out of hand, because DH doesn't understand it AT ALL!!! So I found SPACE BAGS!!!! I'm able to place my batting in and suck out all the air, so I'm able to lay it nice and flat (for stacking). The same goes for 108" backing fabric I got such a good deal on (I washing and folded it to fit the bag), then I added others to the same bag filling it up too. Again nice and flat. I have used this method with large amounts of yardage. The SPACE BAGS come in different sizes too. This is great because we will be living full time in a 5th wheel soon. The bags fit under the bed like a dream (they get heavy, but you don't have to care them all at once). I'm working on folding and colors, to make it easy to see. I also list what's in the bags on a sheet of paper and place it in the bag on top of the fabric. This helps me find different projects too.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:15 AM

I find I am purchasing less fabric and using more. However, I do have a substantial amount of fabric that I purchased for my stash (and I am using it more and more).

Last edited by Aurora; 03-01-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:46 AM

" If you have not used any of a particular fabric in over 2 years, get rid of it. It's not inspiring you enough to make something. "
I recently used fabric I have had since the 80's. I like each and every piece of fabric I have every purchased. I buy some just because I like it,with no idea what I will do with it. I make more than quilts. Crafting is how I got started with my fabric stash. Dolls, doll clothes, bears & stuffed animals, etc. Yesterday I went shopping in my stash and found a perfect piece for a spring doll dress. It is from the 90's.
Shopping in my fabric is as fun as shopping at a store. I find things I forgot I had. I have 3 wardrobe size cupboards and several totes. Some would say if you forgot then you have too much. I say it is eye candy and I love sorting and organizing the shelves to find just the right piece of fabric for a project.
I am teaching an 11 year old friend, to sew, and she loves picking out fabric for her projects from my stash. She asked how long it took me to collect my fabric. I told her 35 or 40 years.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:53 AM

I do love fabric, but I have made a conscious decisive decision to downsize my fabric stash. I started out being really into florals and traditional farics. Now I am much more into graphic prints and more modern stuff. I recently went through my six or seven shelves of fabrics and reduced it to two smaller shelves. I am now looking for a charity group in my area which can use the nice quilting fabrics I have. I will give the garment fabrics to my local ASG for use at their silent auction. These days I buy for a specific project.

Pam
Old 03-01-2015, 08:18 AM

I felt really bad about my fabric stash and have sorted through it this year to straighten it out. My sewing room is only a bedroom but I still have significant fabric. I have to keep the batting in another room and all my precuts go into a dresser in the guest room. Still too much fabric for me. I think hoarding is when it gets in the way of you enjoying life, of trying to find places to put your stuff. My friend is a true hoarder, goes to thrift stores looking for glass dishes, just anything that catches her eye. There is a path through her home and it cost her over $400,000. They have about 10 storage units filled to the brim and she still keeps buying. I never want to be like her.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:33 AM

I was wondering the same thing about how much stuff I have for sewing and quilting.. I Google it. It said it was the intent of the contents. They used the word stockpiling. Hoarding doesn't have a purpose for it content.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:01 AM

If you have to buy another house just to store your fabric, then I say you have a hoarding problem! lol Until then you need to just enjoy. I say this because Eleanor Burns purchased a house she said for this reason. I know her situations are different than the average quilter but I found that to be so funny.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:10 PM

I see the point of using it up sooner than later. That being said I have a lot of fabric that's at least 10 yrs. old. If it bothers you personally & you have quite a bit of fabric left over from projects then make quilts for Linus project or Quilts of Valor or even check locally to see what other places need help. The plus side is a reduction in fabric & will make you feel good doing it.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:32 PM

Hoarders won't part with anything willingly. I give away fabric and so I don't consider myself a hoarder even tho I have a small quilt shop in my basement. At least that is what my kids tell me!