Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hobby Lobby vs Joann >

Hobby Lobby vs Joann

Hobby Lobby vs Joann

Old 10-04-2011, 12:44 PM

Walking into a combo Michaels & Joann's stores!!!
Old 10-04-2011, 12:53 PM

Hobby Lobby fabrics, be careful and read the makers, they have lots of fabrics from other countries and it's very bad quality, (thin) They buy more from outside the US than anything else, I only buy from them if it's made in the US They do have lots of crafts and a very nice store.
jigs1354

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
I live in a fairly large town in Southern California (100,000+) and have only a very large Joann. Our Walmart just got fabric back into the store, but is limited, but better than nothing. Just heard the other day, while shopping at Joann, that Hobby Lobby was opening in my town....I have never been in one, or shopped in one. Can you tell me what to expect....
Old 10-04-2011, 01:09 PM

I won't buy fabric at JoAnn's but I do at Hobby Lobby
Old 10-04-2011, 01:16 PM

We have a Hobby Lobby, and I love it. Whenever I'm there, I always go through the fabric area. It's very nice. You can also sign up for e-mail and they send you coupons about every week.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:22 PM

JoAnn's will take Hobby Lobby's or any other coupons. If you see a better deal some other fabric store take their coupon to JoAnn's and they will honor the coupon. I do this all the time.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:37 PM

I do like Hobby Lobby. They don't have a large selection of fabrics like Joann's but they do have a wide range of other craft items. They have alot more varieties of yarn. They carry different cross stitch kits than Joann's and carry alot more of the stamped embroidery linens. They have a decent jewelry department. They have great clearances in books, etc...when you catch them, they are worth the drive! They have really nice decor items and I think better florals. Their seasonal merchandise is nicer. I'm not a scrapbooker but I have to say that when I needed a specific type of sticker for a card I was making, they had what I wanted and no one else did. They have large foam board rectangles (about six feet I think is measurement-looks like it would make four of the normal sized 2 by 3 feet ones in Joann's)in the art department that can be cut down into mini bolts for your larger pieces of fabric. The down side is that you only get one coupon a week and sometimes, at least here in Nashville, the coupon might not be for 40% of a regular priced item but a % off bakeware, etc...I like shopping there and you will too. I still use Joann's as my go to place because I get more coupons, less restrictions for their use, have 10% discount card to them from Quilter's Club of America, and it is closer to me than Hobby Lobby.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:32 PM

Hobby Lobby has a good selection of fabric. Mostly good quality. Also lots of craft supplies and nick knacks. LOve it. Never ever pay full price for anything there. If it isn't on sale this week it will be soon. Or there is almost always a coupon for 40% off. Have fun.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:34 PM

Never been to a Hobby Lobby. Don't have one in our area.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:13 PM

Good selection of merchandise and reasonable prices at Hobby Lobby. Here, at least, their staff is pretty uninformed and not helpful but that may be a regional problem.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:26 PM

Even though HL doesn't have as wide a selection as Joann's, the quality is much better. I love that all their wall fabrics are 30% off all the time; this includes the Kona cottons, which I love. If you look around, they do carry some QSQ fabrics, also.