Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Household items turned quilting notions?

I use painter's tape to mark seam lines on my sewing machine..can be removed easily and leaves no residue.

Great post. I'm learning lots and heading to the kitchen. :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by goonberrie
    Ok, so I'm dumb, what 's a blog and how do I check it out and how do I find out how to read your answer to my DUMB questions??? (Can You tell I'm the newbie?)
    Blogs are sort of like online journal/websites. To check out the recommended blog, the whole link is:

http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com

That should get you there.

I love my tall 4-drawer metal file cabinet. Painted it to match my sewing room & so organized for patterns, books, class lessons, ideas, print-outs, etc. Labeled the drawers and I use hanging files, plus regular file folders.

Use deli-papers that I get at Sam's, papers that are used for sandwich wraps. They are thin & about 11x12 inches. Paper clip 5-6 of these sheets together well, with a magic marker pattern you want to use for quilting, underneath all of them. With no thread in your machine, follow the pattern and "sew" these sheets following the lines. Then you have your designs on lots of sheets, and you just place one sheet on top of your quilt and machine sew the quilting design on your fabric. Tear off & throw away. Works great.

I love my bobbin keepers because I thread loads of bobbins ahead of time, for quilting, machine embroidery, lace making, heirloom sewing & regular sewing. With about an 6" square of styrofoam, I have stuck short, thin wooden skewers in it, and slide on each skewer my filled bobbins, by color and design. With a magic marker I have drawn a line separating some of the skewers, so I know which section of bobbins is for regular sewing, embroidery thread, etc. I have a couple different ones for use with different machines. Holds lots of bobbins.

I use parchment paper for everything, especially for pattern transfers, but one thing I do, that I didn't see here, is I use cookie cutters for templates and enlarge them on a copy machine and make a pattern. Don't know if that's helpful to anyone, but sharing ideas is fun! Thanks for thinking of this!

Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning
    I have freezer paper in my sewing room to use for paper piecing--the method that you don't sew through the paper.

I have the tissue paper used for wrapping gifts in gift bags to trace quilting designs on which I then tape to a quilt on the frame and quilt through it. Much cheaper than vellum or the special paper sold to longarmers.

I claimed a 36" square kitchen island after our remodel to use as my cutting table. Rotary cutters, blades & templates are stored in the drawers & scraps, UFO's, & orphan blocks are stored in the bottom.

I use blue painters tape to tape the tissue paper onto quilts & it holds the leaders on the poles of my frame.

Hairspray to keep chalked quilting designs from rubbing off.

Silicone spray to keep the rails on the frame slick and the bed of the sewing machine.

I used to have a roll of Press 'n' Seal in my room for quilting but I didn't like the little bits of plastic left in. Others still swear by it.

I steal hubby's big carpenter's square when I need to square up a large quilt before binding it. And he occasionally has to come into my sewing room to find his level if I've been adjusting my frame.

I have a small, rolling tv/microwave cart that fits under the frame. Usually my embroidery machine, stabilizers & threads live on it but I take the machine off to put my laptop that controls the PC Quilter on when I'm using it to quilt.

I have one of the rolling plastic storage drawer things advertised for scrap bookers that I keep all my thread & needles in. It just fits under the sewing cabinet when it's opened up so I can just reach down, open a drawer & pull out needles, thread, or bobbins when I need them.

I use a coffee mug to keep my little Clover iron in & I use it to put troublesome thread in when it lashes too much on the normal thread holder spindle on the machine.

I like to use used fabric softener sheets to sew my applique shapes onto so I can turn the seam allowance under before stitching them down to the background fabric. It really helps to keep those little pokies under the piece. It doesn't add bulk so I don't have to cut it out from the back side like those who use paper do.

I'm sure there are lots of other re-purposed & purloined items in there, also--LOL!
    So many great ideas. I especially like the used dryer sheets. Gail

I save the plastic lids from cottage cheese containers, yogurt, etc., to cut templates for quilting designs or whatever else you need a template for.

I use non-skid shelf-paper under my sewing machine to keep it from vibrating and walking away--mainly to keep it from vibrating. It's much quieter now.

I use plastic tubs that greens come in for storing leftoever scraps of fusing medium, stabilizer, and anything else I can think of. Fat quarters too.

I use paper towel tubes for things that are rolled up, like my leftover Invisigrip, or leftover sheets of fusing medium. TP tubes are good for wrapping bindings around for storage.

Like everyone else, I use a wooden skewer for a stilleto.

I keep old needles and bent pins in empty prescription bottles until they're full, then throw them away safely.

I use the tape-style Post-It stuff for repairing torn areas on paper-piecing patterns. You can write over it. It behaves more like paper than scotch tape. You can find it at Staples, but apparently, nowhere else.

Also, I've used skewers to keep the tops of small quilts rigid so that they can be hung from a ribbon attached at the top corners, scroll-style.

I've used pop top rings for small quilt hangers. Just sew them to the back like any picture hanger.

Quote Originally Posted by katied772
    Haven't read all the posts yet so probably already mentioned but I love the press n' seal wrap for machine quilting. What a great product!
    How do you use it? Gail

how do you use this product for machine quilting?

Quote Originally Posted by Judiw
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by Judiw
    Quote Originally Posted by Riversong
    My hubby uses Copenhagen(snuff in a little round box) YUCK!! BUT,they are the pefect size for used rotary blades. When its full I tape the box and toss it all.
    My LQS sells re-sharpened rotary blades for $2 when you turn your old one in. They are done on a special machine and not by them. I got one recently but have not used it yet, but figured it was worth a try. I will use it next.
    Harbor Freignts Carpet cutter blades are cheaper...
    No Harbor Freight within 100miles...I'll check the shipping but have wondered if the quality is the same...thanks
    If they go through carpet they will go through fabric.
    Yes they are just as sharp :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    I also use a bamboo skewer as a stilleto.

I take a sheet of 220 grit sandpaper and wrap it around a small piece of cardboard and duct tape to the back for holding blocks in place for either signing (siggie) or drawing lines from cornor to cornor.

I stole my dh's 48" t-square for cutting larger pieces of fabric.

I use cornstarch to make my own spray starch, instead of buying, a HUGE savings.

How about a recipe for your spray starch? Thanks

How about a recipe for your spray starch? Thanks

I use an old ceramic cookie jar for all my fabric pens and markers.

Quote Originally Posted by Homespun
    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    I also use a bamboo skewer as a stilleto.

I take a sheet of 220 grit sandpaper and wrap it around a small piece of cardboard and duct tape to the back for holding blocks in place for either signing (siggie) or drawing lines from cornor to cornor.

I stole my dh's 48" t-square for cutting larger pieces of fabric.

I use cornstarch to make my own spray starch, instead of buying, a HUGE savings.

I use an old ceramic cookie jar for all my fabric pens and markers.
    How about a recipe for your spray starch?

Greast thread!!! Here are a couple that I haven't seen mentioned.....

I took my machine foot aoart and slipped in a small piece of wood so that it can't go too fast when I free motion quilt..reaklly helps when you are just learning

I use childrens coloring books to get quilting motif designs..you can enlarge or reduce the size on your copier...there are some really great mandala coloring books out there...as well as themed..x-mas..etc

I use my drapes as a design wall..I just push 1 drape to the side and spread the other 1 out so it's flat, then i pin a pice of flannel on it and use it that way..flannel fols up and is out of sight when I'm not needing it

Best for last....I have 3 machines that I use all of the time and I was constantly looking for my thread snips and the little scredriver, so I put a piece of velcro on each machine and on the handle of each scredriver and snip...now each machine has their own set, and I find them instantly...this has saved me tons of time!

Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Nana
    I use dryer sheets in my fabric stash. I cut in half and put in between my fabric. That way it has a nice fresh smell when I use it.
    That is a great idea. And if you use Bounce, it keeps mice away. Farm living teaches you so many interesting things!

Blog Entries
    I'm a real estate broker. Not sure that I like how our money is being spent on advertising? But i guess if your a quilter you would have to have my blessing. this gave me a good laugh.

ok...more on the Bounce to keep mice away!! How does that work, and where do you put it? I live in an old home, and they seem to always find a way in...Donna

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Nana
    I use dryer sheets in my fabric stash. I cut in half and put in between my fabric. That way it has a nice fresh smell when I use it.
    That is a great idea. And if you use Bounce, it keeps mice away. Farm living teaches you so many interesting things!
    I'm putting Bounce in the back of my kitchen cabinets then!!!

(the grossest thing I've found in recent years, has been the mouse "nest" in the books stored in the basement, and finding droppings in the BACK of the silverware drawer in the kitchen as we packed to move! Who knows how long that was going on? How often do you replace the silverware tray thingy?)

Blog Entries
    I was wondering if that liquid bandage would work. Thanks. My finger gets so sore and I type on my job so I sit there for a day or two cringing every time I have to use that finger. I'm definitely going to try that.

I use freezer paper all the time for applique. Love it.

I have taped the top of a glue stick to the side of my machine. It is perfect for holding my seam ripper, little screw driver and cleaning brush.
    I use thies quite often. Every time I replace my bobin I clean my machine.
    I also am constantly looking for my little sissers to clip threads. So I put them on an elastic cord around my neck. I can always fine them.

Sorry if these are repeats:

A magnesium (concrete) floater works great to hold a long ruler in place for rotary cutting. They are surprisingly light weight and keep the ruler much more accurate with less pressure.

A plastic pencil box with a snap lid on it ($1.00 at Wal-Mart - ?) is the perfect size to store a 45mm rotary cutter.

I use pant hangers with clips to hang cutting mats since someone said the mats needed to be stored flat/straight and not leaning up against something.

Hi! Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I use a grapefruit spoon to close and open safety pins when I am sandwiching a quilt to be quilted. Works like a charm and less stress on the fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by jprusky
    Would you mind sharing with me your recipe for spray starch using corn starch? If it's an "old family secret" just say so and I'll understand. Thanks. Judy
    I looked it up---I heaping Tpsp corn starch in a pint of cold water. put it in a spray bottle. always shake before using. Add 2 dropps of essential oil if you'd like a nice scent. :lol:

I took a free motion quilting class and as an alternative to gloves the instructor used Glycerine on her fingers to grip the fabric. It doesn't stain the fabric, is good for your hands and works. I got mine in the cake decorating department for two dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    I use bamboo skewers as a "stilleto". I cut one in half and taped the cut end. Works great and is CHEAP!

I use freezer paper for appliqueing

I have a wire "tray" thing that our flatware came in to hold my rulers.

I bought old plastic flatware trays at thrift stores to hold my individual pieces.

I haven't got it finished yet, but I was able to find a 6 foot roller shade at a thrift store for $10.00. I bought some flannel and will glue the flannel to it. VOILA - a designer wall!!!!
    I love the roller shade idea, thanks!

I forgot one thing (probably I forgot a whole lot of things, I just haven't remembered them yet).

I bought un-used pizza boxes from Domino's. 25 boxes for $5. I store my fat quarters in them, sorted by color. I printed out colored squares on my pc and taped the appropriate square to the outside rim of each box.

Now I can easily just pull out the color that I want from the neatly stacked boxes.

Well...they WERE neatly stacked. For some reason DH has moved the stacks into the basement shower. Not so easily accessible there.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast