Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How About Using an Embroidery Machine to Do the Quilting? >

How About Using an Embroidery Machine to Do the Quilting?

How About Using an Embroidery Machine to Do the Quilting?

Old 07-26-2011, 05:11 PM

Thanks to everybody who replied and shared their experiences. I now have courage!! :)

Cathy
Old 07-27-2011, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by mburdell
Originally Posted by Queen
I have used my embroidery machine to quilt a full size quilt and several others. You do have to babysit it. Another suggestion is, I use a asymetrical design with varigated thread and I can't tell where I got off a little bit.
Mary
Love your quilt...

How did you handle all of the fabric (top, backing and batting) for the blocks in the middle? Did you roll it to fit in the harp or did you do the quilt in sections and then sew them to together or did you doquilt as you go blocks?

I have a quilt pattern I would like to try this with.
I rolled it up. It was a bit difficult to get the middle done.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:14 AM

For me, shmushing the quilt to get a flat area for the hoop works best. When I roll it, the roll acts like a stiff log, and the embroidery unit has to work too hard to move against it. Sometimes it drags - and the needle can break.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:49 PM

I think then I'll put the quilt together in sections, do the ME, then sew the sections together and add some SITD. I would hate to ruin the top or my machine because there was too much material in the harp for the embroidery unit to move properly.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:19 PM

I quilt king quilts for years & never had any problems with the quilt or the machine as long as it is not hanging on the floor if you have to put it on a chair
Old 07-27-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by mburdell
I think then I'll put the quilt together in sections, do the ME, then sew the sections together and add some SITD. I would hate to ruin the top or my machine because there was too much material in the harp for the embroidery unit to move properly.
Have you seen Marti Michel's book about quilting in sections? I loaned my copy to a friend, so I don't have it in front of me, and that's probably not the title.

The essence is that you can piece the whole top, make your sandwich, then carefully peel back the top & backing from 1/3 on 1 side, cut 1/3 of the batting off of each side using a long swirling curve motion with your rotary cutter. Quilt the center of your quit. Then use the faggotting or zigzag stitch on your machine to sew the batting back together on 1 side and quilt that side. Ditto for the final side.

The swirling cuts make it pretty easy to match the batting to the correct sides. Trust me (and Marti Michel) - it really works!
Old 07-27-2011, 11:39 PM

That's exactly what I design! I use my Embroidery Machine for quilting all the time. Any great line design will work. If you have a large or long hoop you can emulate the pricey quilt machine work.

Julia
Old 07-30-2011, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by cmw0829
I bought an embroidery machine a few months ago with the plan to combine embroidery and piecing on my quilt tops.

Then...I took an FMQ class. This is not something that I believe I will excel at. And I will not be satisfied with less than high-quality (not perfect) results.

I'm pretty certain that I've seem embroidery designs for quilt motifs that could be continuously embroidered along a border or embroidered within a square.

Has anyone done this in place of FMQ? What do you think of the idea?

Thanks,
Cathy
I have found a lot of quilt patterns on this website.
[email protected]
She has lots of patterns you can download for under a$1 each. Just go into her QUILT page and then go through all the pages until you find what you want. I have not tried them out yet but will in the next couple of weeks.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:04 AM

I have done this on my Bernina 830-E, but the biggest challenge is hooping the quilt. Not always easy depending upon the thickness of the quilt.

Janet in Ohio
Old 07-30-2011, 11:00 AM

I use my embroidery machine all the time to quilt..I like the redwork the best and there are a lot of quilt block patterns out there ..I love www.DesignsSewFine.com she has very beautiful designs for quilting and lots of redwork and the best is there are NO jump stitches to cut out after you are done.. I hate triming jump stitches...

www.DesignsSewFine.com..... here are a few quilts that I used her designs to quilt a baby quilt
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233860.jpe   attachment-233861.jpe