Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How About Using an Embroidery Machine to Do the Quilting? >

How About Using an Embroidery Machine to Do the Quilting?

How About Using an Embroidery Machine to Do the Quilting?

Old 07-26-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by cmw0829
I bought an embroidery machine a few months ago with the plan to combine embroidery and piecing on my quilt tops.

Then...I took an FMQ class. This is not something that I believe I will excel at. And I will not be satisfied with less than high-quality (not perfect) results.

I'm pretty certain that I've seem embroidery designs for quilt motifs that could be continuously embroidered along a border or embroidered within a square.

Has anyone done this in place of FMQ? What do you think of the idea?

Thanks,
Cathy
I bought my embroidery machine for this very reason - a used Pfaff 2170. I have a jillion embroidery designs, because I joined John Deer's Club after taking one of his classes - he and Anita Goodesign have good quilting designs that I have used. Use Search above and look at my Dear Jane Christmas Quilt - all quilting was with John Deer designs. It was vey easy to line them up with the squares in the quilt. Larger areas might take a little more time, but as you become used to using your machine, it gets easier. A large quilt just takes more patience than a small one - LOL. I babysit my machine while it's quilting - don't want to pick out stitches!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Originally Posted by cmw0829
I bought an embroidery machine a few months ago with the plan to combine embroidery and piecing on my quilt tops.

Then...I took an FMQ class. This is not something that I believe I will excel at. And I will not be satisfied with less than high-quality (not perfect) results.

I'm pretty certain that I've seem embroidery designs for quilt motifs that could be continuously embroidered along a border or embroidered within a square.

Has anyone done this in place of FMQ? What do you think of the idea?

Thanks,
Cathy
I bought my embroidery machine for this very reason - a used Pfaff 2170. I have a jillion embroidery designs, because I joined John Deer's Club after taking one of his classes - he and Anita Goodesign have good quilting designs that I have used. Use Search above and look at my Dear Jane Christmas Quilt - all quilting was with John Deer designs. It was vey easy to line them up with the squares in the quilt. Larger areas might take a little more time, but as you become used to using your machine, it gets easier. A large quilt just takes more patience than a small one - LOL. I babysit my machine while it's quilting - don't want to pick out stitches!

The suggestion to put the machine and quilt on the floor would probably be a good idea with a big quilt. Most of mine are lap quilts, and they fit nicely on my work table.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:11 PM

I have a designer 1 embroidery machine & a New Home & use both of them to quilt my King quilts with no problems at all just take your time & make sure your hoop is on the space right where you want to quilt
Old 07-26-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Joanne, your quilt is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.
Cathy
Old 07-26-2011, 12:18 PM

I have a few quilting embroidery designs that I have used on quilting.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by dcamarote
Please someone tell me what "plunking" is???
I would think that would mean just plopping a design in that doesn't fit the area or style of the quilt.i.e "plunking" it in. Is that right?
Old 07-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Suz

I agree that FMQ takes a lot of practice. I think the thing that helped me best, was wearing the gloves to help control the fabric. If you did not wear the gloves at your class, put on your kitchen gloves and try again. They will be a bit hot, but you will get the feel of how they work. Quilt shops have gloves made specifically for FMQ and worth the investment.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:36 PM

I have used my embroidery machine to quilt a full size quilt and several others. You do have to babysit it. Another suggestion is, I use a asymetrical design with varigated thread and I can't tell where I got off a little bit.
Mary
Attached Thumbnails attachment-232154.jpe   attachment-232155.jpe  
Old 07-26-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Queen
I have used my embroidery machine to quilt a full size quilt and several others. You do have to babysit it. Another suggestion is, I use a asymetrical design with varigated thread and I can't tell where I got off a little bit.
Mary
Love your quilt...

How did you handle all of the fabric (top, backing and batting) for the blocks in the middle? Did you roll it to fit in the harp or did you do the quilt in sections and then sew them to together or did you doquilt as you go blocks?

I have a quilt pattern I would like to try this with.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P
I dont know the answer but want to tell you your avitar is a beautiful cat.
Thanks Sandra, she's a real sweetie.