Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How can I overcome my fear? >

How can I overcome my fear?

How can I overcome my fear?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:21 PM

As a rule, once something is gifted, it's gone and out of my control. But I gotta say, if one of my grandchildren or children mistreated something I'd made for them, you better believe I'd be having something to say about it. I might say it lightly, but it would be said. To the 17 yr old, I'd probably say something like, "Dang, girl, if you don't want that quilt, give it back to me and I'll clean it up and pass it on to someone who needs it and will use it. No sense letting it lay there and rot." Then I'd hug her and say that next time I'll try to give her something more to her liking.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:34 PM

....and try to remember, she was only 17. How did we feel if we had been given a quilt at that age? I'm afraid I wouldn't have known enough to be grateful at that age. Just love her and don't let it hold you back from something you love to do.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:37 PM

I pin a card tied with a bow onto the quilt I'm gifting with all the instructions on its care. I include all the quilt information from the label and add info as to the pattern, block, quilting, etc., etc., as well as why I chose the colors and what was my inspiration. The beginning of the care instructions begin with.."Every quilt is a work of art to be hugged, admired and cuddled up in..." Then I give the care details such as never dry clean, best in coin operated front loading washer; mild soap, delicate cycle, cold water and how to dry it, etc., adding storing and refolding advice, etc. I believe this indicates to the recipient that this is one fine piece of art and he/she should be glad to have it after all my work and love that goes into it. I have never had a problem with unapreciative recipients...they have all been thrilled to have one. Maybe you would feel less ravaged by doing something similar.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by kwilter
I pin a card tied with a bow onto the quilt I'm gifting with all the instructions on its care. I include all the quilt information from the label and add info as to the pattern, block, quilting, etc., etc., as well as why I chose the colors and what was my inspiration. The beginning of the care instructions begin with.."Every quilt is a work of art to be hugged, admired and cuddled up in..." Then I give the care details such as never dry clean, best in coin operated front loading washer; mild soap, delicate cycle, cold water and how to dry it, etc., adding storing and refolding advice, etc. I believe this indicates to the recipient that this is one fine piece of art and he/she should be glad to have it after all my work and love that goes into it. I have never had a problem with unapreciative recipients...they have all been thrilled to have one. Maybe you would feel less ravaged by doing something similar.
EXCELLENT suggestion! I will use it also. Thank you.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:41 PM

I made a quilt {crib size} for a great neice when she was in pre-school. Her wove a wonderful story about how it was a magical quilt and that no bad dreams as long as it was covering her. She is now a senior in high school and her quilt will go to collage with her. It is a good size to snuggle under while reading.
I have also made others that were used to make tents or fort walls.They are long gone,but were loved to pieces.Some were misstreated,and some are still loved today.
Sorry you were hert by the way one person treated their quilt,Please don't let it spoil your joy in making quilts. :-)
Old 12-14-2010, 09:05 PM

I'm just about finished with a baby quilt for my grand-nephew, he's 6 mos old. I don't know if the mother will like it or not but I'm truly not worried about it. If she doesn't, she can do whatever she wants with it. I had fun making it and I learned a few things along way, that's all that matters to me. I believe once given, it totally out of my hands; and I'm not sure I would say anything to anyone because that could cause hurt feelings that might never heal. Its a risk I wouldn't take.
Keep quilting for the joy it brings you. And I believe that there will be more who will enjoy your work than not. Chris
Old 12-14-2010, 09:22 PM

I made a rather nice quilt for my step-granddaughter, with applique and other features which are time consuming. I later found that the family was using it for a dog blanket. I get along very well with this GD and her family, so I know it wasn't done for out of meanness for me, but it still hurt. On the other hand, I have three young ladies who "adopted" me when they were little girls. I made each one a simple quilt - blocks of bandana print and denim. They loved these quilts so much they carried them everywhere. When they grew older and they became cheerleaders, they took their blankets in the bus for out of town games. Made me feel warm and fuzzy all over..... You can't let one person ruin your joy of quilting and sharing your craft. It is very discouraging to see your pride and joy abused, but I will never quit giving my quilts to those I love.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:34 PM

That is heartbreaking to read that someone could show such disdain for a lovely gift like a handmade quilt.

Any time you offer such a gift, you run that risk. I always cut the odds when they say 'thank you', by winking and saying, "Just don't put it in the back of the truck for the dog to lie on!"

Haven't found one with dog hair on it yet! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 12-14-2010, 09:48 PM

I have two god daughters, just about the same age. I used to make them both handmade gifts, knitted or quilted or something similar. One always made a big deal out of it, the other not so much. I was quite surprised when the 'not so much' practically asked for a quilt for graduation. She is now 45 and when showing me around her new home, she made sure I saw her quilt on the bed in the guest room. funny how it works. by the way, she comes from a non-craft family and she hinted that her aunt would really love a quilt for wedding -- they get it!
Old 12-15-2010, 03:45 AM

I gave my son's baby quilt to my DIL when their son was born. This "bonkey" blanket was so loved by my son that I felt he and his wife would love it for their son. WRONG! I could tell by the look on her face it "wasn't good enough" for her baby. So I told her later, if she didn't like it to please return it to me and I'd put it away for my son another time. It was returned to me within the month. It's still in my cedar chest. I take it out and have great memories of my son loving this as a child. It has monkeys all over it and he LOVED it!