Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you feel about solids? >

How do you feel about solids?

How do you feel about solids?

Old 02-17-2012, 02:58 AM

I love solids in quilts, it gives you more to work with in patterns and a place to rest your eye on the quilt top. Making it easier to see and enjoy the quilt. They were use a lot in old quilts.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:01 AM

I have had two dark (black and navy) solids pick up EVERY fuzzy thing known to man. These were both used in gift quilts and I ended up giving a lint roller with each of them. I DO like the colors, but tend to lean toward tone on tone. I like that they 'read' solid and you can see the quilting, but they don't show everything. As usual, this is a personal preference.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:05 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I'm with you. I love the Amish quilt look.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by beaniekins View Post
The recent thread about batiks inspired me to ask this. How do you feel about solid fabric in quilts? What about when a quilt is made entirely with solids? Do you find it flat or vibrant?

I find that I'm liking solids on their own more and more. I used to find them bland and boring, but now I find that I'm drawn to them whenever I go to the LQS. I really like how they come in so many shades now, though it means that I want to spend more money to buy all the different colours!
I never use a solid if I can find a tonal that suits me.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by luana View Post
Barn quilts are very popular in Iowa. I mean the kind where they put a large painted block on the side of a farm building. These block are always solid colors. I've seen a quilt that was a take-off on barn quilts, solid colors for piecing, and set with black sashings. I thought it was striking!

Not easy to paint patterns!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:38 AM

I use fabric much as a painter uses oils and want the overall design to be the primary focus, not just one individual part of it. Because I'm not looking for pattern in fabric, only color, solids, blenders, hand dyes, tonal batiks and TOTs are pretty much all I ever use.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:44 AM

I love solids. Years ago, when my mom and were taking our first quilt classes, in the late 70's, we took a class making I think its called Around the World. The instructor gave us a list of colors to purchase, all solid. We purchased separately and at different places, as did the other attendees. The variety of interpretation of say light green or turquoise was astounding and began my love of solids. My go-to box for that little splash of color or contrast is filled with only solids, most from other quilts I have made in solids.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
I prefer either marbles or tone on tone. I will use a small amount of solids at times, but still prefer more texture in the color. Pure solids in a quilt, as if using only Kona, would not be my preference.

ali
I'm with AliKat. The only solid I have used was in a kit and was used to make a checkerboard design.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:55 AM

I love solids, they make prints when you them stand out even more, and off the top of my head I have at least 15 quilts here at home that are made with all solids. I just got a whole stack of solids at Handcocks of Paducah, as mine were getting depleated. I love Amish quilts, and the use of solids really shows the pattern and the hand quilting off great.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:29 AM

I had a stack of solid colored vibrant 5" squares last year and saw a pattern I wanted to make. They were lap quilts but after finishing the first one, I still had a stack of squares so made HST patterns like the zigzag....then because there were still squares I made a D9P and then a D4P.....on and on. I ended up with 6 in the series, one more vibrant than the other. When I showed my quilts, at my guild meeting....I told them how I started with one and just couldn't stop......I love, love solid fabric as long as the colors are bright.....like the 8 pack of crayola crayons!