Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you feel about solids? >

How do you feel about solids?

How do you feel about solids?

Old 02-18-2012, 07:39 AM

I tend to go more toward blenders or fabrics that read as solids. I've never cared much for solids but do use them on occasion.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:13 AM

I love solids! I am most partial to black because I prefer to make either bright quilts or autumn colors and black makes them POP! Sometimes you just need a solid to calm a quilt down or at the very lest keep you from getting dizzy.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:37 AM

I almost always have some solid in a quilt. I especially like to use them as the narrow strip in borders. I have a wonderful collection of solid scraps--most were given to me when solids were "out"--and I certainly would not want to part with them. Have made a "male" Log Cabin with only solids. No pink, no purple, no posies!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:42 AM

I love adding solids as accent, but don't think I'd care for an all solid quilt. Of course, my quilting is not of a quality I'd want to draw that much attention to. LOL
Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I'm way behind everybody. I'm just now starting to really like solids. I ordered some FQ of all solids and a charm pack of pure black. I'm going to try a simple "Amish" looking quilt. I'm very excited about what the quilt will look like. I love Amish quilts now.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:48 PM

I have never made an all solid quilt, but I do almost always a couple of solids in my quilts. I was at one of the LQS in my area recently and I was trying to find a solid for a top I was putting together. I mentioned to her that she didn't have many solids and she said most quilter's don't use solids. I thought that was kind of sad. It can help your other fabrics really pop!
Old 02-18-2012, 01:38 PM

I've made lots of quilts using only solids, but I almost always use solids for sashing and binding when I use prints for the block piecing. I think it's because my grandmother did it that way.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:47 PM

I'm a solids fan from way back in my garment sewing days...I never used a lot of busy prints in my clothing. I use a lot of solids in my applique. I love the modern quilts using solids and especially the use of solids as negative space with a few colorful print blocks. There doesn't have to be a lot of fancy quilting on the solids...imaginative use of straight or gently curving lines is, many times, all that's needed.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:40 PM

The only solid I really use is Black. I like the marbles or tone on tone as they give it a softer movement than solids. I just like the softer look.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:34 PM

Default My use of solids after reading this thread.

I have been called upon to make a quilt for someone having chemo and she loves butterflies. I had these two bright print butterfly fabrics so decided to go for the solids and use 9 patch blocks in the quilt. The square center panel of butterflies is the middle of the top just to give you an idea of the size of the quilt top so far.
Attached Thumbnails bb-filling-edges.jpg   bb-upright.jpg  

Last edited by wildyard; 02-19-2012 at 07:38 PM.