Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store your batting by the roll? >

How do you store your batting by the roll?

How do you store your batting by the roll?

Old 08-19-2011, 06:18 AM

My husband made me racks that hang from the ceiling in my basement where my sewing room is, i have three huge rolls of batting each is a different thickness. This works out great and i keep them covered to keep stuff off of them.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

I keep mine in the box it was shipped in standing up right in a corner in my studio. I also toss in left over pieces of abtting, so when I need batting I go through that first to see if I can patch some together.

Before I had a studio I had it in the walk in closet of the master bedroom.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:40 AM

One of my basement rooms has an unfinished ceiling. Someone fastened brackets to the cross beams, and I suspended the roll of batting from a broom handle stretched between the two brackets. It's like a giant roll of bathroom tissue--accessible, but out of the way.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:35 AM

I tried storing the batting rolls in the closet in the platic wrapping but I had to wrestle the rolls through a too-narrow door each time I needed to use it. It took up too much space to leave it in the room itself. Then I tried hanging them on "closet rods" in the closet, one mounted at the normal level and one mounted below the first roll. The disadvantage of that was that I no longer had closet space for clothes. What to do? The solution that has worked for me was to mount the same style brackets that support the closet shelf and has the closet rod holder attached over my dining room window. Then I mounted a second set of brackets to hold the 2nd roll of batting underneath the top roll, leaving only enough space to allow for free rolling of both rolls of batting.

Since I removed my dining room table to use the space for a cutting table, I can just unroll the batting directly onto the cutting table. Some natural light still manages to shine through the window and I simply added good lighting in the ceiling and lamps for task lighting at the sewing machine.

I have to admit that I live alone (I'm sure most husbands might object to having all my quilting supplies everywhere)--just have children and grandchildren who visit frequently and I have convinced them that it is normal to have a quilting frame in the living room, a cutting table in the dining room, material on the bookshelves, and quilting projects on every available surface. My 1-year old grandson loves to crawl under the quilting frame, has learned to pull himself up to see the quilt top, and loves the multitude of empty thread spools. I converted the extra bedroom which is too small for a sewing room to a playroom 5 years ago for the then 3 year old granddaughter when she was here every day. So what if my house looks different from most? All the children, grands, and great-grands know they are welcome and well-loved when they are here. We cook together, sew together, and quilt together. If someone comes over and doesn't like my style, I think that's THEIR problem rather than mine. Being 71 has its privileges and quilting is the one I choose to indulge.
Love is more important than having a neat and picture-perfect house.

Oops! This says 'quick reply.' I talk too much!!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:56 AM

DH just helped me hang mine from the ceiling. 2 eye bolts into the ceiling beams, and a very heavy duty cord through the bolt. The cord runs from one eye bolt, through the bolt, through the other eye bolt, and down the wall where it ties off with a large clip. I can undo the clip and lower the batting (I'm 5' tall) whenever I need to, then pull the cord to raise the batting back to the ceiling. My basic idea that he improved upon.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I don't have any rolls of batting, unfortunately. Not to ask a somewhat 'off topic' question, but is buying the batting in bulk the 'norm' for most hobby quilters?? I just typically buy the size I need when I finish a quilt. Now I'm wondering if I should be considering buying a roll of it.

Hey Shirley35, since you have so many if we weren't so far away, I'd buy one from you! :)
Happy Treadler, I've never bought a full roll yet, but I do buy in bulk (10 yards) when I have a 50% off coupon. Buying by the roll is much cheaper than regular prices, so I'm saving my money for one.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

I store mine in a zippered clothes hanging bag that sits inside a cedar-lined closet.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:12 AM

Buying in bulk is the better way to go. I have both prepackaged and 1 bolt of batting. The problem with the packaged is the creases in the batting, so if you can buy bulk or at least off the bolt.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:25 AM

Since I'm a longarm quilter, I store my rolls of batting under my machine. I had my husband add another long piece of pipe and a hanger so I can now hang 6 rolls if I wish to..right now there are three rolls under, one Hobb's Wool, one 90" x 30 yd roll of Hobb's 80/20 and one a 108" x 30 yd roll of Hobb's 80/20. I keep each roll covered by plastic drop cloths to insure they stay clean.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:43 AM

Just bought a big roll last nite and have had to stand both of mine in my master bathrooms garden tub and covered up with sheets.