Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you store your WIPs?

Mostly I use the boxes you can get for scrapbooking. They have a handle and the top swings up. They hold a 12" block flat. Then I put my fabics and pattern in it. They also coincedentally fit perfectly in a cabinet i have in my sewing room. I look for them on sale or use a coupon.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    I use see-thru colored ArtBins that i bought at Jo-anns. they hold up to 12 inch blocks nicely and they have a carrying handle. I got different colors so I can tell what WIP is in there as well. I got them for about $8-$9 on sale or with a 50% off coupon.. I love them.. Keeps me organized..

Also I saw a post on here about how someone uses the clear containers they get with food- clear fruit containers, See thru to-go containers, etc.. A good way to recycle and get free storage containers..
    I use these too, but I get them from Michaels. You can find them on sale quite often for $4.99. They start out at $8 there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trif
    I have a few of the clear plastic boxes approx 4" deep with handles and keep my current projects in them, I sew with a friend once a week so it makes for easy travel, just close the box, grab the handle and hi ho hi ho it's off to quilt I go!
    I use the same type of rectangle plastic boxes. I bought the size of tub where I can lay out a 12x12 block in it. They are about 4" deep.
    I keep my pattern/directions, all of the material I bought for that project and the receipts for the material in case I have to go back and look for the same material. I have about 4 or 5 of these boxes and it is very easy to grap the project I'm working on and take it to which ever room I need to use it.

Blog Entries
    OK. Here's the thing. I don't have any WIPs (or finished ones for that matter!). I have some scraps from things that I have sewn, but nothing quilty. I've ordered small quilt kits for my DGDs from Hancock. THEN I will have A WIP! Maybe then I can start to catch up with all of you :cry:

I love ArtBin totes and they are acid free.

Blog Entries
    I have 5 cardboard boxes, similar to Pizza Boxes, that I keep my WIP's in. I limit myself to only 5 boxes so I don't ever have too many WIP's!

Mine are all in plastic totes. I have them marked on the outside so I know what is in them.

Quote Originally Posted by bjnicholson
    OK. Here's the thing. I don't have any WIPs (or finished ones for that matter!). I have some scraps from things that I have sewn, but nothing quilty. I've ordered small quilt kits for my DGDs from Hancock. THEN I will have A WIP! Maybe then I can start to catch up with all of you :cry:
    Yeah, Join in the WIP fun, May in Jersey

I use the cardboard photo boxes. lable in the front slots. looks pretty on shelf. also have a friend that owns a pizza shop so access to any size they have and usually any pizza place will give them free or very cheap.

I hate the idea of having more than one project going at a time, so my chaos is limited. I do have 3 tops that need backing and binding. I just fold them and put them in a bag in a corner of my room until I figure out how to back & bind. :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by lots2do
    gmaybee-
    What size are those envelopes? I think that's a great idea. Will have to go and shop, soon.
    thanks!
    I have mostly 11 1/2x 10. I think they come in bigger sizes also. I wouldn't be able to put all the things for large quilt in one this size, but I usually finish a quilt completly, so it's smaller projects that are in these.

I use plastic totes 68L with labels on them, I go them at Walmart for $5 each. Try the clear bags that you can vacume seal and then you can put many in 1 tote, jut make sure you label your totes or you my have to go through all of them again. lol! If you have blocks you can by scrapbooking containers to store them in, Walmart sells those as well for $8.99 for the clear 12.5 by 12.5 container.

All these ideas are great……. I want to share my 2 cents….. I have a file system I keep my WIP all separated and label in Zip lock bags……… 2 keep the bulk down I remove all the air in the bags and then label each one then place them like files in container…… . 2 remove the air I place the items in the bag then lay bag on flat surface…. Place a soda straw in the end of the top corner of the bag and close bag to the straw…. Hold your fingers on the straw where straw and bag cross…. Suck all the air out of the bag and quickly pinch down on the straw and at the same time pull the straw out as you pinch the zipper close. Walla vacuum packed bags …. File by bag sizes. S M L or separate with file folders. Use one container for all or place them by size of bags. What ever works for U

Just had something delivered in a wonderful small box...this will be saved for when I DO have some little quilt pieces...thanks for all the ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Caroltee
    All these ideas are great……. I want to share my 2 cents….. I have a file system I keep my WIP all separated and label in Zip lock bags……… 2 keep the bulk down I remove all the air in the bags and then label each one then place them like files in container…… . 2 remove the air I place the items in the bag then lay bag on flat surface…. Place a soda straw in the end of the top corner of the bag and close bag to the straw…. Hold your fingers on the straw where straw and bag cross…. Suck all the air out of the bag and quickly pinch down on the straw and at the same time pull the straw out as you pinch the zipper close. Walla vacuum packed bags …. File by bag sizes. S M L or separate with file folders. Use one container for all or place them by size of bags. What ever works for U
    Love the straw idea! Gives new meaning to vacuum bags!

Dido

When I cut pieces for blocks, I store all the pieces for one block in a sandwich bag (the kind that just folds in - since it's cheaper than the ziplocs). I then keep all the sandwich baggies in either a drawer or a tote bag. When I work on a block I put it back in the baggie until the block is assembled, and then I put it with the finished blocks in the tote. That way, I can pull out a project, work on one block and, whether I finish it or not, everything for that block stays together.

I too use zip lock bags. I use the sandwich or quart size for each color as I cut it for the blocks; then as the blocks are assembled, I use the gallon storage bags, labels with washable markers, to ID the block and the project. I have one plastic tote/bucket, that I use for WIP, including thread, bobbins, scissors, needles and pattern. It is very easy to pick the tote up and move around from room to room with the tote. I have to admit, I usually only have 2-3 WIP at a time. I'd love to have more, since I occassionally get bored with the current project. But finances and working full time prohibit have too much going at the same time.

another idea is Pizza boxes - if you ask at your local pizza place, they might give you some, or they might charge you a minimal fee for them - you can write on the box what is inside, or use labels.

Banned
    I often use paper plates to do intermediate sorting and then put in plastic bags. Also, while they are not see thru, pizza boxes sometimes work well.

I use the bags that comforters and baby blankets come in and also pizza boxes work great.

I just reorganized my sewing room. Went to Wal-Mart & got clear boxes of different sizes w/ lids, put labels on what was in the box & put on shelf. Now it is easy to see what I have & where it is.

I store each project in a basket, the different cut pieces are in sandwich bags that have what they are written on the outside. Forinstance if a pattern has 3 X 4 rectangles and 4 x 4 - 1/2 triangles those are in separate bags. That way a quick glance at the pattern tells me what each thing is and I can sew quickly!

I use the plastic bags the sheets and pillow cases come in, the smaller pillowcase plastic is great for smaller projects, the larger sheet plastic works great from near finished, and of course the finished getting ready to quilt, I store in old pillow cases. Only problem with the pillowcases, out of site out of mind, and mine is so bad I forget what is in there lol...

Rita

Wow you all have great ideas as for me my sewing/spare room is a tea-total mess. I was real proud that I cleaned up enough to walk to the sewing machine and then I was without DH all weekend and Katie=bar-the-door I sewed all weekend finished one lap quilt top and half of another, however my room it a HOT MESS again. I crave organization but can't apply it. Maybe ya'll will rub off on me.
    :lol:
    Karen

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast