Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store your WIPs? >

How do you store your WIPs?

How do you store your WIPs?

Old 09-06-2010, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
I use see-thru colored ArtBins that i bought at Jo-anns. they hold up to 12 inch blocks nicely and they have a carrying handle. I got different colors so I can tell what WIP is in there as well. I got them for about $8-$9 on sale or with a 50% off coupon.. I love them.. Keeps me organized..
I love my Artbins and I always buy a couple when they are on sale. They are perfect for WIPs.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:23 AM

I use a lot of boxes you get in the scrapbook section They can hold a lot of fabric and also 12 1/2 inch blocks I pick them up on sale at Michaels.they stack well. Smaller projects usually go into the zipper bags
Old 09-06-2010, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by sarge1
I had a baby a couple of years ago, and many of the things I received for him came in those clear vinyl bags. You know the kind you get sheets and comforters in, with the zippers? A lot of times they even have a little pocket in them, where they put a picture of the sheet or comforter on a bed so you can see what it looks like. I keep projects together in them-fabric, completed blocks, etc. and in the little pocket I keep the pattern, thread, etc. Hope I explained that clearly. They aren't as bulky as boxes, clear so you can easily see the project, and they keep things clean. I don't think they should be used for long term storage, though.
These plastic bags are exactly what I use, and I love 'em! Yes, often they have inner compartments which helps with the organization of things. The big bonuses are - they only take up the amount of space of your WIP's and they are clear!
Old 09-06-2010, 07:57 AM

I use card board shoe boxes, store card board bottoms of boxes that the canned fruits and vegetables come in. Hang my quilt tops on hangers. Also zip lock plastic bags leaving a small opening at top of bag. I kind of have my fabric stacked on shelves in my walk in closet by colors.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:36 AM

Some are in plastic shoe boxes, some are in ziplocs, some are stacked in bins. Just depends. Others I have on my design wall----BEGGING to be finished. :oops:
Old 09-06-2010, 08:46 AM

All of the above.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by quiltluvr
Some are in plastic shoe boxes, some are in ziplocs, some are stacked in bins. Just depends. Others I have on my design wall----BEGGING to be finished. :oops:
LOL :D :D or the living room floor double checking block layout :-D
Old 09-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

I also use the art bins that have a plastic frame to store them in and now I also use one of the fabric drawers hubby bought me for the storage system in my sewing room post. It is nice to have some organizaton while you work on many at a time. It makes the whole experiance more pleasent.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:19 AM

I use a combo of things. For the current project and all the fabric I put everything in a 4" deep plastic box. For all the projects I just "have" to do I put in a tote in the order I wish to do them. I also have the see through art boxes from JoAnns for blocks that we are making in our quilts qroup for each others birthdays. We do a Birthday block swap. So those get stored there. I use Zip lock bags labeled with the size of each piece cut out and store it with the quilt it belongs to. I also like to use the paper bags with handles that you get at some of the stores to haul my things around in when I am going back and forth with my material or to sort it into groupings for the next planned quilt.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:15 PM

I use anything with a lid; old hat boxes, Oatmeal containers, shoe boxes, plastic totes of all sizes, all sizes of zip lock bags including the huge ones made for pillows, blankets etc. I also use the grocery store totes for WIP's. I use cottage cheese containers for scraps, one for each color. It's not fancy but it works and it is cheap.