Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you store your WIPs?

Don't know if it'll help, but I store all my WIPs separately into clear plastic tubs with tops....available just about anywhere....I wait until WalMart has a sale on them....! Nice to be able to stack them in a corner!

Great idea - I have too many projects and nothing seems to get finished - I am about to pick a certain number and not do anything else until they are done - I actually walked past my favorite LQS and didn't open the door - It felt strange but I probably saved money
    Quote Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    I have 5 cardboard boxes, similar to Pizza Boxes, that I keep my WIP's in. I limit myself to only 5 boxes so I don't ever have too many WIP's!

What does HST - WIP - UFO -BOM - LQS-
    stand for? I'm new and dont know what your talking about.

Depending on the project, I have different ways of storing them. I usually have four projects going on at any given time, and I just leave those out on the table. I have a ping pong table, and there is a cutting mat at each quadrant. There's also plenty of room in each section to just leave stuff out. If something has lots of little pieces, like what you're describing, I leave a 15-1/2" square ruler over the top of it to keep it from being disturbed.

If it's something like a BOM (I call those my "interrupters"), I hang the blocks with skirt hangers and put the rest of it in gallon zip-lock bags or large manilla folders with the name of the quilt marked on the outside in permanent marker. Also, I have one of those 12-drawer (shallow drawers) bins where I keep projects when I'm not working on them regularly. I also keep projects I haven't yet started in there.

You kind of have to decide what works for you and modify it as you go. My ping pong table used to get kind of a mess because things would get shoved to the middle. But I got a couple of wire shelf things that you use to make more space in a cupboard so that the materials for one project could be kept separate from another. Baskets (cheap at Goodwill) are also a good bet, especially those with a handle.

Don't expect to get it right the first time you try, but if you get a good basic layout going, you can add, subtract, or modify as you go. Eventually, you'll have something that works pretty well.

I'm not a terribly neat housekeeper in general (clean, but not neat), but I've always kept a neat workspace. I can't stand working in clutter.

Quote Originally Posted by frostbaa
    What does HST - WIP - UFO
    This should help:

http://quiltinggallery.com/2009/4/20/quilters-acronyms

I had the same problem when I first started. People still put up acronyms I don't know. Most of the time, it's not that important, and eventually, all will be revealed to you. Pay close attention to the topic. By that I mean, if people are talking about, say, stitching in the ditch--then you'll have a good clue what SID stands for.

Blog Entries
    Your idea of plastic baggies (with zip-lock seal?) is a good one!

When I cut out a pattern, I label every group of squares, triangles, rectangle, sashing, borders, bindings, etc. with # and size on post-it notes AND pin that note to each group of cuts, so it does NOT come off!

For storage, I use large pizza boxes (re-use) but to be sure there is no grease distribution to my good fabric, I line it with freezer paper; then label the box and they can stack neatly.

I guess to get real anal, one could "date" the day the project started and organize it chronologically? Naahhhhhhh.....

However, I am getting better... no new projects started until these -several- are finished. LOL

Good luck.

Thanks for asking...I printed the information and now I am speaking the quilters language....

I use to use pizza boxes to store my WIP. That is until someone threw them out. The man shall remain nameless. LOL now I use the deep clear plastic square boxes with locks, asnd a handle that I got from Joann's. I have 5 of them going at once(a lot of WIP) I use the rubber shelf liner in them to keep them from sliding around. At least this is working for me.

I use the white mesh laundry bags that are found in the laundry sections of grocery stores. I buy the large ones for projects that are almost finished, the medium ones for projects where the blocks have been cut out and assembled and the small ones for projects that I have only cut the fabric for. With these I can keep the projects in for years and not worry about the fabric fading. I usually will put the pattern and any special notions in the bag along with the fabric. Then I place the bags in a box so that all of my unfinished projects are together in one spot.

I use gallon size ziplocks for the smaller things and the base of my sewing table is wood so I put cupholders along and hang up the bags.

Blog Entries
    I use any box I can find that fits the situation. I have lots of those clear plastic shoe box size with lids. They are very cheep and work well. I also use shoe boxes for scraps. One for strips, one for odd shapes, etc. stuff I am currently involved in go in totes with handles, I have 5 or 6 of them. I love, love, love, those eco friendly bags you get from the grocery store for $1. I have a small plastic storage box that has 3 drawers and a flip top. One drawer for cutting tools, one for marking toolks, you see the trend. It fits perfectly into one of those shopping bags mentioned above. That is my "take with" tool box. I just slide the bag down and tuck it under the bottom drawer and it sits on a table near my work area. Since I take all my stuff every Monday to a group sew, this makes it easy to cart and not forget anything!! Oh, I spent 2 days cleaning and organizing my craft room at home. There was a path, impossible to use it for anything. I was sooooo happy when done, I took pictures. One of my girls said, "that is clean?" Guess I'm glad she didn't see it before! LOL

Blog Entries
    I get quart size ziplocks and put all the pieces I cut out for a block in them. Each block has a bag so they don't get mixed together, than put all the block bags into a 2 1/2 gallon bag. As I get a block done it goes into the larger bag. With a slip of paper on top of it all inside the bag with a number of the completed blocks. The number is an encouragement to me. But I do all by hand so the number doesn't increase as fast as by machine. When I am done with all the blocks sew them together and finish. The theory is that I will not have any between the stages of block process and done. ha good theory I at this point have 3 in the block process. When they get done, finished they go to whomever they are made for.

I use the art type boxes also . I have one with a handle but the rest are just the box. I have learned that when I have to stop my wip to do something else , I place everything from fabric ,pattern to bobbins and thread in the box. That way I know EVERYTHING is there. Nothing worse than coming back to the project and wondering what thread I used or having used that thread up on another project!!!

I use pieces of flannel and hang up to design my quilt, I pin everything, when I am done, I carefully fold it up and put on a hanger. this way, everything is in place. YOu can also use the flannel on the back of a picnic tablecloth.
    I paperpiece alot, if I put them in a bin, I have to lay out again, I have better time management doing it this way, use the bin for the fabrics in the project.

Blog Entries
    Hi everyone. I was just looking at some quilt kits this morning. I thought I had all the pieces cut, but no.. Need to cut the border strips and frame. I found then, that I need to write myself notes. Looking through something you did weeks or months ago and trying to figure out what is done or not done makes for brain fuzz..... So, now I have 3 plastic bags grouped together with a sign to finish cutting borders.

Also, when a quilt kit is finished, I put the focus blocks into one small little baggie, sashing in another baggie etc, with a note as to what that is and size of the item. I include the pattern or picture of what I am working on, or getting ready for someone in my sewing group to work on, so they know what the finished project will look like. I include dimensions of the final quilt.

Plastic bags and yes, those nice zippered bags from sheets etc are great. I liked reading others suggestions, as we all love to learn from each other.

Good luck with the quilting stash of WIP.....

Julie Florida (3cats)

I use small, medium and large new pizza boxes. They work
    great.

Quote Originally Posted by frostbaa
    What does HST - WIP - UFO -BOM - LQS-
    Frostbaa, here are the "definitions:
    HST = half square triangle
    WIP = work in progress
    UFO = unfinished object (quilt)
    BOM = Block of (the) Month
    LQS = Local quilt shop

There are quite-a-few more out there, but you can google quilt terms and get all kinds of lists.

Quote Originally Posted by grannie cheechee
    I use to use pizza boxes to store my WIP. That is until someone threw them out. The man shall remain nameless. LOL now I use the deep clear plastic square boxes with locks, asnd a handle that I got from Joann's. I have 5 of them going at once(a lot of WIP) I use the rubber shelf liner in them to keep them from sliding around. At least this is working for me.
    About 6 years ago I bid on and got an Amish baby quilt from ebay - beautiful little quilt top. I left it in the mailing box and someone (who also shall remain nameless) threw it away. He's learned now to do that now.

Having things in boxes and out of sight drives me nuts. . I want to see what I have. OUT OF SIGHT OUT OF MIND. Am already out of mind. I donít want to use all my space with a bunch of storage boxes piled here and there. I like compact storage and by using the plastic zip lock bags and some times with large pieces of fabric or batting I use the space bags and removing the air you will be amazed at how much room you can save doing it this way and you will only need a few storage bins to organize your bags.

Having things in boxes and out of sight drives me nuts. . I want to see what I have. OUT OF SIGHT OUT OF MIND. Am already out of mind. I donít want to use all my space with a bunch of storage boxes piled here and there. I like compact storage and by using the plastic zip lock bags and some times with large pieces of fabric or batting I use the space bags and removing the air you will be amazed at how much room you can save doing it this way and you will only need a few storage bins to organize your bags.

THANK YOU

I also use the ArtBins and get them either on sale or use my 40% off coupon at JoAnn's. I really like them for this use and usually have a separate project in each one, although there are dividers (3-4 I believe) and once in a while I will have several smaller projects in a box, using the dividers. These come in clear or in colors.

These bins keep me a lot more organized and I don't loose pieces or patterns for my projects.

As soon as my fabric is washed and ironed, I put all the pieces that go together in the 2 gal zip lock bags. I am much better at keeping my fabric that is in various stages of a quilt together than I am at finishing the actual quilt.

Blog Entries
    When I get tired of working on one project, I put all the blocks or top that isn't finished into plastic baggies. If the top is nearly finished but I don't want to work on it I drape the top over a hanger and put all the material pretaining to that project in a walmart bag and hang it over the same hanger with top. This keeps me from forgeting and using some of the material on something else. I'm a big basket fan so I have various baskets sitting around with projects in baggies. I have tops waiting to be quilted on hangers I have a closet in my sewing room. much of it is shelves but there is room to hang things.

I buy the boxes (at Joann's) that are 12x12x4. It's perfect for finished blocks or selected fabrics for a quilt.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast