Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How do you store your WIPs?

I buy flats of drinks for DH...(24).
    I keep these boxes.
    I cut down the side, cutting the side all the way off, of two boxes, then slide them together...one is inside the other, and like the good old southern way...DUCT tape 'em silly!!!!
    I go for an 18" x 20" finished box and put one project in.
    By staggering them, I can stack a lot.
    :oops: guess my secret is out...I have a LOT of WIP's :oops: :XD:

I use Tupperware containers. They stack nicely.

Blog Entries
    I also make use of 1 gallon zip bags, but you must remember to leave them open just a little. If you don't, you risk mildew (Ewwwwe!). I write on the outside, top edge with a permanent pen what ever I was doing, buying, planning, or what part I was working on. If you store them in a boot size box, you can stand the smaller ones up in back, and the bigger ones can lie down. I have even used different color inks or tags for different types of project, ie; doll w/ pink tags. quilt with yellow tags, applique with green tags. I hope this helps jump start your own ideas for organizing your stuff.

I use zip bags. I store them in "shirt boxes" that I get at a "high class" mens store. I get them for free, they are a great size and stack really neat. Men's store might give them to for free, or a small fee.

Power Poster
    I store mine now in the plastic bags that sheets and comforters come in. They are see thru and have zippers and they are free (well sort of).

I used to use the clear bins also. I have I think 16 of them. Now I have one of those bread pan racks, like you see the delivery guys using, with the 18x26 pans, and it holds 20 trays. Now I just pull out the tray for the project I want to work on!

Blog Entries
    I got a nice surprise yesterday. I had started a stack & whack 3 or 4 years ago and forgotten about it. Just a few of the 8-piece circles were complete, but the rest I had stored inside the pattern magazine, the 8 pieces for each circle slipped between two plain white sheets of paper. Practically no cost; ready to go when I am.

Quote Originally Posted by frostbaa
    What does HST - WIP - UFO -BOM - LQS-
    stand for? I'm new and dont know what your talking about.
    This is a good site to find out what all those letters represent and a great glossary too. http://www.quiltbug.com/Articles/quilt-terms.htm

Gee my stuff seems to be all over the place, the funny thing is I always find everything for the project that I'm working on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by decky
    Gee my stuff seems to be all over the place, the funny thing is I always find everything for the project that I'm working on.
    I have to keep some order. unlike you, I would never remembe where I put things or what project things belonged to. This happens to old minds.

While I am collecting fabrics for a project, I have some plastic drawers I got at the thrift store.. the bigger deeper kind, and I keep the fabrics together in one of the drawers. For smaller projects, I will use a shoebox or a smaller drawer. Once I start cutting and working on a project, I keep the cut pieces in baggies, and the scraps in a larger gallon size bag.
    When I am done cutting, the scraps are sorted into one of 3 containers, and the fabrics put away if there is enough left. Now my project moves into a smaller drawer where it stays for piecing and growing up into a top!! It will live in this drawer untill it gets it's backing and doesn't fit anymore. Then it will move onto my sewing table so I can't do anything else till it is finished!!

I am like Kathy. I have a bunch of plastic shoe boxes. It is amazing how much they will hold. I have a double bed finished top in one. Just can't decide what I want to do for the back, so there it sits.

Sharon, I have a system that works very good for me. I use envelope boxes but shoe boxes works well too. I have a picture of the quilt I want to work on the front of the box, Inside is the pattern, any templates I need, all the fabric cut or otherwise, and if I get interrupted and have to put it aside everything is still in the box ready to go again. I have several projects going all the time so each box on the shelf shows me which is which. If the quilt top is finished ready to quilt I put a sticker on the box. That tells me that the backing is there also. Hope this helps. Elenore

I use dept store and speciality bags - the ones that give good quality heavy support paper with logos on. I store each project (there are Many) with all the appropriate patterns threads etc in one bag so when I want to continue its all there. For travelling I use the smallest size zip lock bag with fabric thread scissors etc., I just travelled from Australia to U.K. and had no problems with the stitching. And I did pick up some lovely bags in England!!!
    Barbara Australia

I have a few cheap airline style suitcases (small ones) with wheels on them. I store everything I need for the project inside the bag and side pockets. The case is ready to wheel away for a craft meeting or sewing day with friends. No dust gets on it and usually nothing gets lost. It fits in the boot of my car neatly and stacks in any handy place I can find in my flat. Hope that helps for an idea. For smaller projects and craft irons, I put them inside the make - up carry cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabaddict
    another idea is Pizza boxes - if you ask at your local pizza place, they might give you some, or they might charge you a minimal fee for them - you can write on the box what is inside, or use labels.
    I use pizza boxes too! Easy to label & stack! I also number and date the boxes with an estimated completion time that corresponds to my calender: this way it is not out of sight out of mind and I can keep track of projects. Moosegirl

KR
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathy N
    I use the clear plastic shoe boxes. They stack nicely and I can see what is in them. Kroger's had them 10 for $10.00 your dollar stores have them too. They hold alot so you can put a big quilt in them in pieces. For my 12" blocks from swaps that I haven't gotten to yet I went to Joann's in the scrapbook section and found some clear plastic boxes for $4.99 before the 40% off that were made to hold your 12 x 12 paper, they work perfect. Again they are clear so it is quick and easy to see what is inside.

Could you post a photo of the 12" boxes you found at Joann's for 4.99? I just saw Artbin boxes there for 14.99....whew!....the exact same box as at Michael's for 8.99. Thanks!

I certainly didn't find any at our JoAnns for $4.99. Maybe in another area they are, but not here. It sure is a good idea. Maybe I am looking in the wrong spot for the less expensive ones. Am wainting for the picture of one of them. Thanks

Joann's had the colored boxes like the Art boxrs for 8.99. You can still see through them they are just primary colors. They are in the school type supply aisle. Of course, all the Joann's are not set up the same. If you sue your coupons or they hasve the Art Boxes sometimes half off.

Cool, Thank you, I will double check on my next visit.

Since I use to sell Longaberger baskets I have lots . I store my project in them. They are great for taking projects with me . Store fat 1/4 s in cd towers . as shelves adjust in hight .(can't spell) cover with long narrow plastic bags that come on body pillows. Pizza boxes are great for pieces . I line mine with a piece of batting so material doesn't slide . Dollar store and Goodwill are good place to find plastic containers .

I use the clear storage boxes with the pieces that are cut,to be sewed or sewed, also the extra fabric that goes with the ufo and a photo copy of the instructions just in case it gets put away for awhile and I know that books get put away and patterns get misplaced - I do this because alot of times I am putting away things for guest who will be using the futon in the sewing room - The elimnates the fustration of spending hours looking for the fabric and instructions - this way I can just take it out and sew...

Blog Entries
    All of previously given suggestions work for me also. Don't suppose anyone else forgets as much as often as I do.
    Since time is spent figuring out where to start on a WIP, I write myself a note as to the date I last worked on it, and what needs to be done next. It really helps me.
    We learned at guild not to store fabrics in plastic bags unless you leave open space so air can circulate. Someone showed a picture of a quilt which had been stored in plastic with no breathing room, and it was totally Yellow and rotted.
    M.

I thought all quilters were like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariah
    All of previously given suggestions work for me also. Don't suppose anyone else forgets as much as often as I do.
    M.
    Oh Mariah, you are not alone in the forgetting situation!! Quite a few of us here on the board have fibromyalgia and we spend a good bit of time wandering around in the fibrofog. We know how frustrating it is to not be able to remember the simplest things. Notes are very helpful, if we can only find where we put them. LOL. Never feel alone, here on this board, no matter what your issues, there are others of us in the same boat!!! Hugs and smiles, Linda

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast