Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: how does everyone make time to sew/quilt?

well, ladies i've enjoyed reading all your posts, and yall are just so busy it made me tired to read it. and i remember when i was like yall described, so busy with kids, grandkids etc but hang in there, everything will change for you some day as it did me. my kids grew up, grandkids grew up, husband died, even 2 great grandsons outgrew coming to stay with Gigi. I'm a barber so i work 4 days a week just because i want to, i have a room built onto my house just off my kitchen so i made my kitchen into a sewing room, funny huh? i dust my kitchen stove once a week or so. and if a customer comes in the shop, my dog barks to alert me. I sew in between haircuts or any other time i take a notion. ALL my time is MINE. I do whatever I want whenever I want and spend my money how I want. I cherish the good ole days but we all have to learn how to roll with the punches that life deals us. I also cherish this quilting board and all you wonderful ladies. There's a local quilt shop where I hang out a lot, wonderful people there in the quilting world I have grown to love. Lots of single old ladies I run around with. You can actually survive on hamburgers, pizza, and pot pies. I'm 72 now and still enjoying life - only in a different way than when i was young. so hang in there all you younger ladies with busy busy lives, it will all change someday.
    Donna

I don't work outside my home but I have difficulties finding time to quilt. My problem is working around my fibromyalgia. I have days when I can barely get out of bed much less do housework and cooking for my husband and I. On those days sewing and quilting is the farthest thing from my mind. I have to focus on putting one foot in front of the other and getting though the day. I do try to keep small projects to work on by my chair. I also take small projects with me in the car when we travel.

Quote Originally Posted by scrappylouisa
    I don't work outside my home but I have difficulties finding time to quilt. My problem is working around my fibromyalgia. I have days when I can barely get out of bed much less do housework and cooking for my husband and I. On those days sewing and quilting is the farthest thing from my mind. I have to focus on putting one foot in front of the other and getting though the day. I do try to keep small projects to work on by my chair. I also take small projects with me in the car when we travel.
    Have you tried some of the new medications that are out there? My dad suffers, too. Medication has worked wonders. Ask you doctor, maybe he/she can help.
    Rose Hall

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    How do I make time?

Hmmm......I ship hubby to sea, send the kiddo to work, then I have the entire house to myself. If the cats get in the way, I feed them cat nip so they'll just veg for the rest of the day. :) :)
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wonder if cat nip would work on my kids?!

I'm lucky I don't work so I fit sewing in around the kids, Hans and the garden - housework is the bottom of the list - clean clothes and good food, that's about my lot!

K x

Super Member Sheree from Chicago's Avatar
    I totally agree with you. Quilting is the best therapy!

I squeeze it in when I can. More gets done on the weekend. But homeschooling, 4 children, part-time job,... makes it tough. The house certainly isn't neat. There are dust bunnies multiplying under the furniture... But I get the kids to help as much as possible. One of their primary jobs is laundry. They even fold it, not perfectly, but they fold it.

But it gets hard to squeeze it in when life gets in the way...

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Great to get the kids helping - my 6 year old pairs up all the socks!

K x

my 5 year old empties the dishwasher. It is great! Seems like it isn't much, but I can't stand to empty it. Then all I have to do is load! He thinks it is fun, so why not. He will windex windows too! Kids at this age have NO clue! I love it!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaK
    my 5 year old empties the dishwasher. It is great! Seems like it isn't much, but I can't stand to empty it. Then all I have to do is load! He thinks it is fun, so why not. He will windex windows too! Kids at this age have NO clue! I love it!
    Yes, helping to them is fun! Shame it doesn't last though!

K x

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    It's hard when you have a young children at home and a full time job. The crock pot was worth gold to me when I was working full time. There are so many recipes online for crockpot dinners it should be no problem to find many your family will like. You need more then one crockpot. One for main course, one for vegetables. I can bake a pie in a crock pot, it's just like an oven. Now the crock pot liners make it NO clean up at all. Use paper plates, cups and plastic utensils. No kitchen clean up. I detest the clean up after a meal and found ways to not have it. That is a big time save during the week.
    I use my crockpot, but have not heard of the liners, bellaboo, what are they? I need all the help I can get. :D

Quote Originally Posted by quiltswithdogs
    I sewed little girls clothes, sundresses, pjs until my daughters were out of high school. Then I taught them how to mend and hem for themselves and learned how to quilt, for my own enjoyment. I don't remember how I fit in sewing time without scheduling time, around family needs, housework, and my job. 7 yrs ago Rheumatoid Arthritis was added to my medical problems. I haven't worked in over a year. Now my days are full of medical appts, therapies, long rest periods. Everything takes me longer so it takes days to pay bills, do simple errands, do the household tasks that I can manage... everything. I feel lucky to manage quilting at all so have learned to be very flexible. Some days I cannot do it, other days I last an hour or only 15min. I really love it and my family values my gifts so much it motivates me to do more. I gave my sister a wallhanging for Christmas and before she unfolded it to see the front, she broke out in tears... she never does that. So far, I've always managed to meet deadlines like Christmas or birthday, but now, I'm careful to save myself the worry and only start a quilt project with no deadline or one that is far away. That being said, I've been thinking of trying the Block of the Month club here. It looks like I will be able to finish it late if I had a hard month. That's not allowed in person at quilt shop clubs. Anyway, my recent years have showed me that as long as I quilt at all, every week, a project eventually gets done and can see proof that I actually had accomplished something creative and fun.
    yup, this is the reply that fits me. I have decided, not to feel guilty over what I am not doing...I could make a list as long as my arm and my leg, of what I'M NOT doing, but then I look at what I do...I've decided that I am here and there, and hit and miss, and that is the way I am wired, so why fight it? I love it, when I get down to sewing, and get in the zone, so gonna try to remember those feelings, and try to shrug off the rest. My body fights me every day and night of my life, time to let go of something. re-phrasing the song: I THINK THE WORLD NEEDS A QUILT! lol! :D

edit: I am on one of those fibromyalgia meds, and it ain't helping mine. wonder what else there is, besides, xstrenght Tylenol, three times a day, every day. DD is worried my liver won't last. Well, all I can say, is pain is no way to live, so we do what we gotta do...and I try to go quilt. :D

I schedule in a project - even if I can only devote an hour per day. My daughter used to take the 2 hour long naps, and, well, I had the time, I had the fabric, and I had the sewing machine, so I got a lot done. Now that she's in school and I'm in school I still have afternoon blocks of time to use to do my sewing while I am shamefully unemployed. I've been finishing up some other painting projects and cleaning out my garage for yard sales these past few months, but now that most of all of that is all done I can sew again while I am home. My house is a mess - but isn't it always?? Since it gets messy and dusty no mater how much I clean or don't clean, I use my time to work on quilts so when I do go back to work I'll have a box full of finished quilts instead of regrets. Don't worry, my tune will change when I go back to work full-time again! But for now, day one hour one, cut the pieces. Day two, start piecing. When I've finished my blocks around day 10 - start cutting the border and settings. Two days later, start putting together the top. I finish a top in about 3 weeks or so, depending on the difficulty, just sewing 1 hour a day. Now, actually QUILTING it, that's a whole different story.

Enn the flower grower

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Hey - crock pots are GREAT! I've got a huge one, it does soups, stews, chicken stock, curry, chilli etc and ALWAYS enough over for the freezer - that's a meal in the bag, I love those!

K x

speaking of crock pots,

have you seen this website--crockpotting for a year??

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2007...anie-odea.html

I thought it was a great resource.

Rose Hall

Blog Entries
    Bellaboo - I hadn't heard about Crock Pot liners. Who makes them - Reynolds? Are they like Reynolds Alum. Wrap? Sounds good!

Blog Entries
    [quote=flowergirlWard17]

I noticed you just joined us today. Welcome! Glad you've set aside time to make quilting a priority.
    Joanne

I work full time and never had time or energy to do much of anything else, and then I found the FlyLady. She is a wonderful real person who teaches you how to get organized and keep yourself that way. She has put together an entire community of support people. Lots of great ways to get things done and find more free time to do the things you love to do. Hey her system even helped me to organize my sewing room. It isn't perfect, but it is getting there. Her website is completely free and worth taking a look at. You can find her at www.Flylady.com.

Blog Entries
    I found the FlyLady
    I was telling my daughter about some of her suggestions and DD said, "I didn't know grandma had a website." My mom used a lot of her methods. :lol:

Joannes i've never bought and used crockpot liners but a friend of mine has and it was kinda like a big clear plastic bag stuck down in the crockpot and the food stuff put in the bag.

I would make time to sew. I also have hubby to his share of home care as I am not a cookie cutter homemaker "June Cleaver" type. We both live in this home and we both do our share. We're coming up on 37 years of marriage. If he cooks I clean dishes, we each have our little duties to do. Hubby also realizes I must have sewing time just as he must have his fishing time. When our son a kid, he had his chores to do. when I was growing up my sisters and brothers had their chores too, parents couldn't do it all. Hope this helps you.

Bev
    I agree with the lady who said you'll have time in the future. I raised four kids, worked outside our home and attended college part time. Life was difficult and hectic. There was never a moment just for me, nevermind quilting or sewing. Now though, it's all different. I'm retired, my kids have kids, and my time is my own. What I need, or could use, is a little more money to spend on fabric. But then, there could never be enough money for all the fabric I'd like to buy. All I can say to the younger women who have no time for themselves is, YOUR DAY WILL COME! 8) :lol:

I teach sewing and quilting three days a week, have a new 1st grandchild but quilting is my love. I sew every chance I get. I also keep projects going all the time. If I have a few minutes here and there, I'm sewing. I never watch TV so I have lots of time that others use on TV. I just finished my daughter-in- law's wedding dress, 3 bridesmaids dresses, flower girl's dress, all since Jan. along with at least five quilts. You can make the time. Of course my house is not spotless but my husband doesn't mind as long as it is somewhat clean. :lol:

LOL. When I make time for quilting the cooking, cleaning and laundry suffer and the children wander over to the neighbor's house!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dojo36
    Joannes i've never bought and used crockpot liners but a friend of mine has and it was kinda like a big clear plastic bag stuck down in the crockpot and the food stuff put in the bag.
    TY dojo. Sounds like something to try - get DH out of the kitchen faster! LOL

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS
    Quote Originally Posted by dojo36
    TY dojo. Sounds like something to try - get DH out of the kitchen faster! LOL
    Sounds like a great idea! I guess then you can serve that meal, then put the bag in the freezer with the leftovers for next time?!

K x

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast