Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: how to hide my shame from the quilt police

Blog Entries
    If you want to frame it - you could get stretchers as for painting canvas, cover them with a thin layer of batting, stretch and staple. The idea of a second back is good too.

I think I would cover the back just in case the police show up. But if you dont have much nosey company, hang it and forget it!

I once had the same problem, so I put another back over the messy one. Then I outlined quilted around the design area. Quilt police didn't even notice it. Final step, binding it.

i'd do a new backing to cover up the stitch work on the back.

this is more common then you know with art quilts that will be in shows or that are going to be sold.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dottiej
    THANK YOU FOR REPLY...
    Its about 36" by 38"..Do you know if anyone on this board has ever framed a quilt..I did a search on hiding the back and found nothing...I am new to this board it is great..Im from Michigan..Dottiej
    I personally have not framed a quilt but my MIL did a wall hanging that I made for her, about the same dimensions as yours. Of course, she didn't do it herself. She took it to Michaels to have it done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

First wallhanging I made FMQ was exactly like yours.....sewing with metallics..what a mess.
    I put a false back on it and I don't feel bad about it at all. Granted I have not entered it in a show.
    What I learned....sewers aid on my top and bottom thread and to slow down. FMQ is much better now.

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    Framing something that big would be very, very expensive (I work in the frame shop at a very-busy Michaels). One reason the framing is so expensive is that the framer SEWS the quilt to a mat that serves as the mounting board. You could do this part yourself - in and out of the same hole with transparent thread (poke holes first with a T-Pin and sew one stitch per inch around the outside. You will also have to take several stitches in the middle to keep it flat) Now it's mounted, saving about 100 dollars. If you decide to put no glass on it, the framing will be quite affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan
    Some people that do alot of thread painting on quilts, put the top on the batt and stitch all the details. They put the back on later and just outline stitch the main designs. You don't even have to be careful of how far the quilting on the back is because the batting is anchored well with the thread painting. I think you could put a false back on your quilt, outline quilt the main parts to the front and put the binding on.
    WOW! Dottij can't use this idea, but this is a great idea and i will store this in the back of my mind. I never thought of doing thread painting with just the batting underneith and then backing and outlining.

All the ideas here were really interesting! Good luck Dottij!

Quote Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
    Framing something that big would be very, very expensive (I work in the frame shop at a very-busy Michaels). One reason the framing is so expensive is that the framer SEWS the quilt to a mat that serves as the mounting board. You could do this part yourself - in and out of the same hole with transparent thread (poke holes first with a T-Pin and sew one stitch per inch around the outside. You will also have to take several stitches in the middle to keep it flat) Now it's mounted, saving about 100 dollars. If you decide to put no glass on it, the framing will be quite affordable.
    Thanks for this great idea also. I learn so much from all you gals!

Blog Entries
    THANK YOU FOR REPLY...
    Its about 36" by 38"..Do you know if anyone on this board has ever framed a quilt..I did a search on hiding the back and found nothing...I am new to this board it is great..Im from Michigan..Dottiej
    Just attach a sleeve to the top of the back and hang it on the wall. The wall won't care if there are birds nests back there. :roll: :lol:

Blog Entries
    My DH has framed several of my wall size quilts, without using glass. They've held up just fine. Sorry the pic isn't better.

OK..I tried to do an art quilt..got excited, got creative, got excited, thought I was Degas and Rembrant all in one..Thought i would enter it in a show..then I was done, I looked at the back..looks like it fell on a sticky floor at a messy thread factory..threads hanging, birds nests all over, scribbling meanders that were suppose to be circles..but are pointy thingys.....In my defense the front is wondeful an egret flying over wetland sunset...what do i do..can I frame it. can I put a false back on it?? can I put big squares or circles on the back with egrets stitched on..?? If anyone sees the back Ill be tossed out of the quilt world and forever shamed. help... Any ideas..Dottie

OK..I tried to do an art quilt..got excited, got creative, got excited, thought I was Degas and Rembrant all in one..Thought i would enter it in a show..then I was done, I looked at the back..looks like it fell on a sticky floor at a messy thread factory..threads hanging, birds nests all over, scribbling meanders that were suppose to be circles..but are pointy thingys.....In my defense the front is wondeful an egret flying over wetland sunset...what do i do..can I frame it. can I put a false back on it?? can I put big squares or circles on the back with egrets stitched on..?? If anyone sees the back Ill be tossed out of the quilt world and forever shamed. help... Any ideas..Dottie

Hang it on your wall and if the quilt police come to inspect, file a traspass charge against them with us!

i`ve framed quilts but quited them first just like a regular quilt.

Blog Entries
    THANK YOU FOR REPLY...

When my husband was still living, he would make me a frame to fit each wall quilt. They really looked great. Regretfully I can no longer do this. I have saved the frames though, in hopes that I will make other quilts that will fit them. Since then, I have made only bed quilts. Good luck with your dilema.

Blog Entries
    Framing a quilt actuslly increases the value of it.

I did frame (with glass) one large quilted wallhanging for my DH. Although it does protect it from getting dirty, it was costly and is HEAVY! Don't think I would do it again unless it was a very small one. :!:

Blog Entries
    Well, this is why I don't even consider entering my quilts in a quilt show. I get so impatient. I start off being really neat then I get to just wanting to get it finished so I can go to another project so the birds nests and dangling threads appear. I just trim everything as good as possible and go on from there. Busy backing patterns and matching bobbin thread help make things look neater, also.

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    So, Dottie, when do we get to see this artwork?? It sounds gorgeous. Who cares what the back looks like, and what the Quilt Police think? Put a back on it, enter it in the show, and let the real quilters enjoy it.

Thank you all for great ideas and encouragement..I did a search and thought Id share..It said you can quilt, embroider, put stuff all over the front, when done playing put on middle and backing then quilt it..All you did to the top alone is considered embellishment..not quilting..going through all layers is quilting...thank you again..dottiej

http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...t-backing.html">Machine Quilting without a quilt backing
    this is the site..very interesting

hope this one works for machine quilting without a quilt backing....
    http:www.generations-quilt-patterns.com/machine-quilting-without-a-quilt-backing.html

soon as i get a picture of it and figure out how to import it here...give me a few days im very slow..

You need to check the rules of the quilt show you are entering. Some of the bigger ones specifically say, you may not use a false back.
    Good luck.

[quote=dottiej] can I put a false back on it?? ......

Blog Entries
    Sorry for the frustration. You can be proud of yourself for taking on a new dimension of your hobby. It'll get better from here. I've never tried anything like this.

Blog Entries
    If you frame it you can cover the back of the frame with brown paper like they do at the professional framing shops. No one will see the back then. Make sure it is archival quality paper.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast