Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many "Works-in-Progress" do you normally work on at a time? >

How many "Works-in-Progress" do you normally work on at a time?

How many "Works-in-Progress" do you normally work on at a time?

Old 08-01-2009, 03:36 AM

I have more projects started than I would like to admit. Like others there are times I tell myself I have to finish X number of projects before I can start a new one, that a great motivation for me.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:40 AM
Banned

quilts 1. too confusing lol, but i do have embroidery and cross stitch going to. then i work on whatever my mood tells me
Old 08-01-2009, 04:57 AM
Banned

I never thought of pizza boxes. GREAT IDEA. That way they don't get all mixed up. Thanks for the idea :D
Old 08-01-2009, 05:34 AM

I don't really have a usuall number in the works. When I started I finished one, then moved on. Right now I have 2 UFO's, 3 WIP's, and two that need the binding finished. I have to have one done by the 15th of August - binding is halfway done. :D
Old 08-01-2009, 05:43 AM

I have two that need to be quilted, two that are still being pieced, the start of my chicken blocks and the doll quilt which is being quilted also. I guess that makes 3 quilts and a number of blocks.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:06 AM

I'm like most everyone else. Too many to count. Active WIP, those that are out in view, probably 3 or 4. Those WIP that are tucked away in various stages of completion, goodness, lots and lots.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:31 AM

I think I generally have 3-4 at a time which includes my BOM.
I always have 2, for variety or maybe assembly-line fashion like Klue, but what happens is that I decide to make a new special-occasion gift so I add that. I can only start projects with deadlines way in advance so that means I have that one added on for awhile. I try to wait on the next desired project until the deadline one is done. So, I still can't take the time to learn kaleidoscoping until this baby quilt is done (getting close) and then my daughter's 30thBD wallhanging (haven't even planned yet). Then I'll go back to my BOM, my lapquilt for ME and learn kaleidoscope. I'd like to try tote bags for Christmas gifts but I'll have to see if that's when I'll be packing to move. I only have a small window of energy each day.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:37 AM

Well Eddie you said "works in progress" not UFO's so I usually have about 3-5 WIP's Going but I have a dozen or two UFO's. This weekent I plan on finishing 3 WIPS, 2 are done now, just have to finish the hand sewing of the binding one one more.
I usually have several waiting to be quilted, and I usually "sandwich" 3 or 4 at a time so I often have a couple tops waiting to be sandwiched. I have a bunch of block of the month's and quite a few block exchanges that need to be put together. I am not at home so I am not going to count.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:27 AM

I'm glad you posted this topic...it will give me a chance to list and mentally prioritize my projects. :) Several are for Christmas, but I probably would normally have 2-4 going. I like to cut/prep them and put them in large ziploc bags so I can grab something quickly to work on it.

Active projects:
* 1 quilt that I just finished quilting and need to bind
* 1 quilt that is sandwiched and ready to quilt (hopefully tonight)
* 1 quilt that I started piecing (for me!)

Patiently waiting their turn:
* 2 tops that are done, I need to assemble the back, sandwich, quilt and bind.
* 1 quilt that is cut and ready to sew
* 1 quilt that is not cut yet
* 2 Christmas wallhangings for the kids
* 1 quilt that is partially assembled

Still in the dreaming/planning stage:
* Pink/peachy/yellow either log cabin or french braid quilt
* Mariner's Compass - just got the pattern after trying paper piecing!
* I need to make myself some placemats/table runners - someday!

The reason I jump around is due mostly to my setup. I finally squeezed a few sq. ft. into my bedroom for my machine. It's really cramped and I'm wedged between the bed and closet, so there's no room to quilt, but I can piece blocks there without much aggravation. When I get to the point of needing more space, I need to move out to the dining room. It's my only dining spot, so I have to disassemble for meals. I really can only work on the big stuff on the weekends. So, in order to get my "fix", I work on piecing during the week and quilting when I can on the weekends.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Eddie
I've been just working on one thing at a time until completion, maybe I'm just single minded and can't do more than one thing at once. :)
It sounds like you are a "product person" and you are more interested in getting your project finished.

I, in comparison, am a "process person" and I am more interested in each step of the process. Sometimes I get bored with the process and the project goes night-night for a day or (week or forever).

There are days I wish I were more single minded and I would get stuff DONE. I stopped count at 15 UFOs - and about 4 of them are out on deck.