Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many "Works-in-Progress" do you normally work on at a time? >

How many "Works-in-Progress" do you normally work on at a time?

How many "Works-in-Progress" do you normally work on at a time?

Old 08-07-2009, 06:55 PM

If I'm working with strips--they can hang out of the way on the wooden ladder, so I have room to work on at least two at a time. But, I'm working on one now, Kayak on the Lake, and it requires all these piles of triangles to be laid out so I can choose colors carefully. The piles are all over the ironing board and the one small table top. I was going to start another--but there's no room to fit more pieces anywhere. Rats! So--for the moment--one at a time, but that's not the norm.

Once school starts (teacher on summer break), my quilting time diminishes greatly, so to remember how to piece something, I'll often work on ragged flannels and one other more complicated project.

I love to make tops--and hate the rest--unless I'm handing it off to my quilter... but I'm proud to say there's only one unfinished project now. I finished the last binding on an unfinished piece tonight--finished the last three this week. :D :D
Old 08-08-2009, 06:44 PM

Congratulations on getting all your UFOs completed. The one you're actively working on is a WIP, not a UFO.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:07 AM

For now, I have two going at a time. One is my "full time" project--the one I'll finish first. The other is for something different when I get bored with the first. I expect some day I'll work on different kinds of quilts; i.e., bed quilts vs. art quilts. For now, I'm just making bed quilts for my family.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:58 AM

Thanks for straightening me out. Get those bed quilts done now while you can still handle something that large and heavy. Oh, you did indicate that you are having your tops professionally quilted.

I'm afraid that I tend to relate everything to my personal experiences. I quilt on the machine because of my arthritis and trembling quilting hand (caused by MS). For the same reasons, I can't handle a full size bed quilt. I make a lot of crib or lap size quilts and recently completed a twin bed size quilt using the Fun & Done method.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
LOL

I can count that high, I just don't want too! ;-)

I have several BOM's I'm doing, one that's hand applique, and three or four that are machine pieced. Plus a hexagon quilt that's being hand pieced. And numerous other projects!

What I work on depends on how I'm feeling at that time.... if I want quiet reflective time I do my hand stitching... sometimes inspiration hits and I just go with the flow till it's done, even if it's starting something new when I haven't finished the last one.

I'd love to finish each one before starting the next, but don't want to have to "force" myself to work on something when I dont feel like it.
this is my style too...and I can count that high...I just don't want to, either :wink:
Old 08-09-2009, 01:01 PM

Thanks, Betty Ruth, that's good advice. I too have limitations, but so far, not with my hands. I do appreciate this kind of wisdom.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:44 AM

I think your method is wonderful, however, I can't stay with one project. Now I have 7 projects out and working. This is not counting my knitting and crocheting projects. When I have to stay on one project for a dead line I'm up and down like a jack-in-the-box. Even my family ribs me about staying on task.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:00 AM

I have 6 on at the moment 3 of which are now at the machine applique stage and a Round Robin that just needs its last border on and something special added. Two are going to be just when I have the time to pick them up and add another block or two.

i prefer to work this way, then I donīt get bored.

Elle
Old 08-21-2009, 07:05 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has several projects going on at once. I thought maybe I suffered from adult ADD. :roll:
Old 08-21-2009, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by NorBanaquilts
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has several projects going on at once. I thought maybe I suffered from adult ADD. :roll:
Looks like you and I are okay LOL

Elle