Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many "Works-in-Progress" do you normally work on at a time? >

How many "Works-in-Progress" do you normally work on at a time?

How many "Works-in-Progress" do you normally work on at a time?

Old 08-06-2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
Can I use someone else's fingers and toes to help me count?
I'm right there with you :D .
Old 08-06-2009, 12:44 PM

A zillion.

I just put together a wall hanging top last Sunday, need to finish it by the 25th as it's a b'day prezzie.
There's still that humongous wedding Irish Chain Heart that the top is folded, batting still in bag & backing is washed & hanging on a hanger.
2 "chains" of scrappiness on the sewing machine's table.
A cabinet full of tops only. No kidding!

OK, my head hurts now, so I'm going back to not thinking about them any more! :wink:
Old 08-06-2009, 03:43 PM

I use to have one I was working on at a time, but if I got bored with it, it sat for weeks. Now, I have several in different stages. I may not feel like sewing on the machine but I feel like hand quilting while I'm watching the tube. Or looking through my books for the next one or planning on paper or cutting one out. It seems I bounce around between them daily. Some times I work on several that day and other times I spend time on just one. I also have one for road trips that I can piece in the car or on a plane. What I try not to do is buy material without a plan. I do the fat 1/4s but I don't buy large cuts with out something in mind. Some people start with material and find a pattern to use it in, I start with a pattern and buy fabric. I don't have the room for a large stash.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:53 PM

I think I have 5 quilts in progress right now..maybe more. Right now I'm working on Vintage Memories out of Mimi Deitriches Bed & Breakfast book. My cousin and I are both working on one. We're using Little Lulu's fabric with ecology cloth for the solid blocks..will post a pic as soon as we finish them. We bought the Accuquilt Studio cutter at MQX and it sure makes cutting multiples easy. I love it!!
Old 08-06-2009, 07:33 PM

I usually have two or three quilts in progress plus a new outfit for me and some charity work going. The project I work on at the time, depends on my mood, time available and confidence.

Sometimes I don't work on an UO because I'm not sure if: I like it, I'm doing it right, I'm not sure of the next step or shear boredom with the project at the time.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:18 AM

No more than two at once. Usually I only do one at a time, but if I get frustrated with one, I may start another to take a break from the frustration.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:24 AM

i have 3 going now one is a football quilt for my son that i am making up as i go so i take a break for a while to come up with the next border, i am also doing a bom and handquilting one i made earlier. i can handquilt while watching tv and spend time with fam at same time.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:09 PM

I usually have somewhere between 6 and 10 projects going at once. I think I'm over that right now though since I lost so many months of sewing over the last year between moving and the tax season from... well you know.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:39 PM

I have 2 waiting to be quilted (hand quilting)
I have 2 I'm currently hand-quilting (to be finished by the end of the month)
I have one IRR waiting (will buy the fabric this weekend)\
I have 2 started (quilt as you go), will be finished before Christmas.
I have 3 baby quilts waiting for the binding (on the back)
I have 1 Christmas quilt waiting for all the binding

I have 5 queen quilts (fabric bought, pattern picked out) waiting to be cut.

Then I have Christmas quilts to finish....haven't started yet, though.

I guess I have just a few...
Old 08-07-2009, 06:32 PM

I have a small box full of different quilt blocks that for the most part were left over from previous quilts. One day, I'll get ambitious and put them all together in a sampler quilt. I'm actively working on a string quilt in the Daylight and Shadows design. Besides that, I have a stack of 9 Patch blocks waiting for me to decide how to put them together. I musn't forget the 2 tops given to me that 2 different neighbors decided that they'd never complete. I bought the fabric needed to complete one of them, but that's as far as I got. I need to get to work on that one while my hands still work. I have this little problem with arthritis. There's another thing holding me back, besides the quilt I'm having too much fun with. I forgot where I put it when I cleaned the sewing room last time.