Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many come to this board when they are at work? >

How many come to this board when they are at work?

How many come to this board when they are at work?

Old 04-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Banned

if you are at work and you are on line doing non work related things it is theft of time. period....
Surely you wouldn't have an issue with people getting online during their break?

Frankly, I find a 10 or 15 minute break looking around online to let my brain cool down and relax every few hours makes me a better worker.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by rivka
if you are at work and you are on line doing non work related things it is theft of time. period....
Surely you wouldn't have an issue with people getting online during their break?

Frankly, I find a 10 or 15 minute break looking around online to let my brain cool down and relax every few hours makes me a better worker.
yes, i would, because there's always one person who can't seem to tell time when they go on line, and take 20-25 minutes, now everyone else wants that....

it you're at work & want a break, take it..away from your computer...walk around, stretch & be back when you're supposed to be...because the people who have to cover while your "on break on line" get bitchy when they have cover for you when you're not available for 20-25 minutes and i then have to deal with the whole mess..

same thing for smokers...why does it take 20 minutes to smoke a cigarette, and why does it always require 2 or more people to go at the same time?

no personal stuff on work computers...end of discussion where i work
Old 04-30-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by dljennings
Originally Posted by rivka

yes, i would, because there's always one person who can't seem to tell time when they go on line, and take 20-25 minutes, now everyone else wants that....

it you're at work & want a break, take it..away from your computer...walk around, stretch & be back when you're supposed to be...because the people who have to cover while your "on break on line" get bitchy when they have cover for you when you're not available for 20-25 minutes and i then have to deal with the whole mess..

same thing for smokers...why does it take 20 minutes to smoke a cigarette, and why does it always require 2 or more people to go at the same time?

Ooosh! We seem to be getting into a few hornet's nests. It would be more fun talking about quilts. Let's wave the white flag and get on with it.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by hokieappmom
I know a lot of places that do monitor emails and internet surfing, but luckily our company is very liberal. But we only have 6 in the office. My daughter works for a very strict company and does not even have internet. She can only have water at her desk and it has to be in a cup with a tight fitting lid. I can't even meet her for lunch there and sit outside. No one is allowed on the grounds unless it is strictly business.
Actually that does not seem unreasonable. I was a first grade teacher and there was little to no personal time at all. Once the children were on campus, we had to be "on our toes" whether we were on duty or not.

I agree with the person who spoke of the work ethic.
I didn't say it was unreasonable, just strict, whereas my situation is liberal. Certain jobs allow flexiblity, like mine, and others to not (teaching, nursing etc.) I certainly would not be on the internet if my boss were not fully aware of it. I do not consider it stealing time if she approves. I have a strong work ethic also, and my work definitely takes priority. There are simply times that I have no work to be done (as do others in my office), but that could change any minute, so the boss doesn't want to send us home. I have had previous jobs that were not flexible and I strongly adhered to their principles. Didn't mean to step on any toes.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:38 PM

I work from home, so does that count?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:04 AM

Whoever still subcribes to this thread, I have to say it's my Aunts Portable Building Business. I'm the office manager and she's ok with me being online as long as my work is done and everything is going well for the day. She'll even have me look up goofy things for her to look at. She doesn't do computer well at all. So it's more like my toy at work!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:57 AM

Who needs a company computer anyways! I check out the Quilting Board on my cell phone at work! Fast and easy and my breaks and lunch are for me...not the company!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by dljennings View Post

I agree with Dljennings. Even now that I am retired. If I have things to get done I don't get on my computer.
They don't call it a time-sink for nothing.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:33 AM

Quilty, oops I mean guilt!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:49 AM

I use a computer at work...but we aren't supposed to use non-work related sites unless on break. Somehow, I can't relate quilting to healthcare...so don't visit the site while at work.