Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many ladies and gentlemen also sew sew? >

How many ladies and gentlemen also sew sew?

How many ladies and gentlemen also sew sew?

Old 02-20-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by davidwent
as in making clothes and whatnot? I was in Walmart's Fabric dept today and got to looking at the pattern books. I actually bought 2! LOL
Hopefully I can find as wonderful a board as this one for sewing!
David
Yes, I sew sew. I have since I was 5 or 6.
If you find one, please, let me know.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:51 PM

Oh do I sew, hand sewed dresses for my dolls as a kid, clothes for myself as a teenager, my wedding dress, Grow Suits when my kids were babies, their clothes as they grew, their bathers and Calisthenics costumes, even made my son (21 at the time)a Suit as he wanted a particular style and colour (Cobolt Blue) that couldn't be found in Australia for a reasonable price. Made clothes to suit Barbie Dolls for 16 years, then went into bag making and also make wheat bags, this was all before I discovered quilting, now I don't want to do anything else but quilt.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:09 AM

I made clothes before I made quilts. I even taught my oldest daughter when she was quite young - she was the fussiest clothes shopper around. I taught her how to make her own. At age 5 she was "I like this type, but not the color...This one is pretty but I don't like the feel of the fabric." All this at age 5. By age 7 she was making her own clothes.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:40 PM

I hadn't sewn anything but quilts for a very long time and then an unexpected granddaughter arrived. This is an outfit I just made for her.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-165140.jpe  
Old 02-21-2011, 12:54 PM

I still sew my own clothes from time to time. Back in my 20's I used to make pretty much all of my own clothes but since then fabric seems to have got more expensive and store bought clothes seem to have got cheaper, so it's hardly worth the effort. I like knowing I *can* make clothes if I want to though.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:43 PM

My son also sews, he has made his own singlet tops, a couple of Windcheaters, but most of all he likes designing and making bikinis for his girlfriend. It frustrates me when he takes over my sewing room. He thinks quilters are weird.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:27 PM

I sew other than quilts too. Have made everything from jeans and jean jackets to all my family clothes. Used to sew for the public. Tailored suits and dresses. That burned me out. Now I make quilts by applique and make my husbands shirts.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:01 PM

I started out sewing in high school & have sewn ever since, about 39 years now. I just got into quilting about 9 years ago. I enjoy doing both. Did you know that you can have Wal mart match the sale prices of patterns from Joann's? Just bring in your flyer & tell the cashier before she rings them up.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by davidwent
as in making clothes and whatnot? I was in Walmart's Fabric dept today and got to looking at the pattern books. I actually bought 2! LOL
Hopefully I can find as wonderful a board as this one for sewing!
David
I sew everything.....clothes home dec etc. I taught my ASG group a class on fitting patterns or clothes in general today. Keep this thot in mind. You all know how to sew. You just don't know how to fit. If you learn that basic, you can make clothes that fit and have style.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:28 AM

Oh Yes, I've sewn since I was able to set at the machine. (Treadle type) Sewn for our children , and then had a slipcover
business for many years. Then for the Grandkids. I guess I can
handle a straight seam as in making a quilt. It is that hand quilting that gets to me.
I can't understand why so many young gals today don't even know how to thread a needle. I guess it is a good excuse.'
I find that sitting at my machine is very theryputic.

Flo from the COLD NORTHERN NY