Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: How many ladies and gentlemen also sew sew?

So many free patterns on line that I seldom look at them i store..I want to try making some toddler size clothes, and some cloth diapers. The kind I use to use.
    Now days everything is throw away.

I wish I could. I've never tried it. The idea of measuring fabric for clothing intimidates me like no other for some reason. I've made throw pillows for our couch, but that's it. Someday I will make pjs or something that can be worn. I really want to.

I sew sew. I love making clothes for my grandkids (all four got flannel lined jackets for Christmas this year); pillows, curtains, beds for my dogs. I used to make a lot of my own clothes (even made my own prom and wedding dress) but not so much in the past 25 yrs. But I think I'll be getting back into that now that my kids are grown and on their own. I even made a good friend's wedding gown when they renewed their vows (it was my "present" to them). Pattern prices are horrible. If you have a JoAnn's near you watch their sales, you can sometimes get them for a buck!

I've been sewing most of my life. I've only been quilting since (I was going to say since my daughter was about 5 then I realized how long ago that was, she's 41!) Where did the time go. Can you imagine how many miles our machines have traveled if stitches were miles!

Are the patterns for clothes complicated? They look complicated.

I sew

Blog Entries
    I make PJ bottoms, made my own version of a scrub top, a boat electronic cover for the center console in my fathers boat, and tons of purses and stuffed animals. Mainly though, I quilt.

Blog Entries
    I started sewing my own clothing at 12, and only got into quilting because of an innocent stop at a quilt shop. I felt like I had died & gone to heaven. There I was, surrounded by fabrics, knowledgeable people who understood fabric talk, and a need for a creative outlet.
    Before I digress, I have made my own wedding dress, drapes, costuming for Little Theater, heirloom sewing, knitted, crocheted, doll dresses, tatted(?), etc. I still would love to be able to take a class in making clothing w/o a pattern.
    But, I got a loom for Christmas, & can't wait to get started on that. Better to be busy than bitter, right?

just a quilt when I can no clothes. thought I use to... My hubby worked construction and he was a electrican, also welded, so I made many a hats for him to weld in and he took on job to sell for me as well. but no more lol

i sew. so?

I am thinking about making a vest of Native American pattern out of Pendleton Wool.

I use to sew sew all the time. Burned out about 20 yrs ago when I made DD#2's wedding dress, brides maid dresses-5, flower girls dress and my dress.

I sew and mend. Have only been quilting for the past few years. I made most of my kids clothes when they were little. Now I get to sew for the grandkids.

Blog Entries
    I used to sew for myself and my kids; now sew for my grandkids - clothes, dolls, toys, etc.

I've sewn all my life, for my 4 kids, to my g'kids & now my 2 grt-gr-son's. 11 yrs ago I started making quilts for the needy here in our local area..I also make children's clothing for kids in need here also. Sewing to me is unwinding, relaxing & makes me feel so good sewing for people less fortunate then my self.

I've sewn all my life, for my 4 kids, to my g'kids & now my 2 grt-gr-son's. 11 yrs ago I started making quilts for the needy here in our local area..I also make children's clothing for kids in need here also. Sewing to me is unwinding, relaxing & makes me feel so good sewing for people less fortunate then my self.

Blog Entries
    Oh my goodness, yes indeed I do SEW!! I have made wedding dresses, prom dresses, bridesmaid dresses, wonderful 3 piece suits for my husband, everything I wore for years and years... decorated our interior.. My last project was a monster lined, pinch pleated, draw drapery set for my son's home... the area was so large that they would have had to custom order them made.. So I did the custom order... I've made bathing suits, underware, everything but shoes. Sewing and design were my first love.

I sew other things besides quilts-enjoy the quilts more now it seems.

Blog Entries
    I sew sew as you call it! :lol: I make clothes for my kids and husband and even a few things for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegum1286
    Are the patterns for clothes complicated? They look complicated.
    Sometimes they are difficult but for the most part they are easy. If you have any problems it sounds like there are several knowledgeable people here on this board.

Yes, it does sound like it. I went to a website to look up how to read those patterns, and for the most part they sound fairly simple to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    I sew far better than I quilt. I've made just about everything there is to make from wedding dresses to my son's suits, drapes to fire retardant racing suits, winter coats to bathing suits, etc. The only sewing I have to currently is a new robe for me.
    WOW!!

I like to sew my own clothes as I don't care for some of the colors and clothing designs.

Dee
    I sew sew then went onto quilts. Still sew home dec and clothes.

I started sewing when I was a young girl. My Mom taught me. She was taught by her mother and made her first skirt when she was 5 or 6. Her mother taught sewing for the Singer Company. She supplemented the family budget by sewing for the wealthier people in town when my mom was in school. I don't sew sew much anymore. Although that may change when I have grandkids:-)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast