Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many rulers or tools have you bought but... >

How many rulers or tools have you bought but...

How many rulers or tools have you bought but...

Old 10-30-2009, 08:13 AM

Just watched the video Omak recommended.
Sorry but I dont agree, much more cutting and sewing involved and most of all it has to be exact.
I will stick with El Burns since my flying geese come out perfect every time. I have mentioned before that I cant sew a straight line so must do everything oversized. Only two seams and one block with EL,s method.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:16 AM

Well, Rose Marie, you gave it a gander, and you know what works best for you, so enjoy <g>
I totally appreciate that not everything appeals to everyone, hence the variety of spice that life requires :wink:
Old 10-30-2009, 08:46 AM

Omak, are there any videos for the x blocks? It looks interesting but cant figure them out.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:59 AM

I didn't find any videos and was sort of disappointed that she had that grand site and no demos or anything. This may be one of those tools I bought and will never use! Although, I did pick up a new magazine that displayed a quilt much like you find on this gal's site ... but, the instructions!
Compared to this block, the magazine quilt has way too much bias edges for my taste <g>.
The instructions with the ruler don't seem to be much help either, but I am thinking - - basically, you make a nine patch, then, using the lines on the x-block, you get your angles.
She did include one tip that told you what happens to each of the little squares when you place the ruler down, much like the tip concerning the disappearing nine patch ...
with that block, you are creating cornerstone and frame when you cut through the center of the nine patch in both directions ...
If I ever use this ruler, I will come back and share <g>
Old 10-30-2009, 12:31 PM

As long as I had the money, I bought whatever looked intriguing.....even if I had no particular use for it at the moment.

That being said, I have a nice collection, some hang on the wall, some in the closet, some in a drawer. I have the Lazy & Lovin' It book and ruler for that someday project. I look at it often, does that count?? :lol:

I do have one on my wish list tho' and that's the 18" or is it 18 1/2" square. I've tracked it down for $50 but still couldn't get it at the time.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:38 PM

I spent years using my 6 x 12 omnigrid ruler for almost anything and everything I wanted to cut. Then, I started 'branching out" ...
The ones that really unnerved me were the square rulers ... it started with the six inch, which the industry immediately came out with and 8.5, then I took a quilting class and needed the 9.5 ... at which point, I felt a bit hamstrung, went in to get the biggest square I could find that did NOT have the half inch included, and found the 15"
I KNEW someone was plotting against me when I got back from the LQS with my HUGE 15" square ruler, and I don't think it was a week, someone was on Simply QUilts selling a technique that used a 20" square ...
I didn't swear off fancy doo hickeys, but I want to think I am learning to wait until whoever it is that plans these things, has quit following me around! <g> sometimes, it is really hard not to take these "coincidences" personally ... I don't have a tin foil hat, but by golly! sometimes, it seems like "they" are watching me! LOL
Old 10-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Power Poster

Rose marie, look here for an x box tutorial.

http://tlcstitches.blogspot.com/search/label/tutorial
Old 10-31-2009, 12:22 AM

I only have 1 ruler. An Omnigrid 30 centimetres in a square. On my wishlist is a flying gees ruler. There are a lot of info how to use youre ruler on QNchannel or YouTube. That how I learn to use them :)
Old 10-31-2009, 07:22 AM

Thanks Omak, I have to get an x ruler.
It makes a very complicated block simple, love it.
I have a 16 inch sq. and it works good for squaring up my quilts.
I also collect square rulers and use all of them.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by zennia
Rose marie, look here for an x box tutorial.

http://tlcstitches.blogspot.com/search/label/tutorial
Wow! Thanks, Miss Zennia! That almost looks like fun! So, I have a couple of projects to mess with, and then! I will get to making and playing with the x-block ... thank you so much for finding that tutorial! It makes all the difference in whether I can ever plan to use one or not.