Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many rulers or tools have you bought but... >

How many rulers or tools have you bought but...

How many rulers or tools have you bought but...

Old 10-28-2009, 06:32 AM

I think we need to start a sister thread to this one - - tools we use that are most useful ... but, since this one is about bought but not used ...
Jody Barrows' Square in a Square ruler (TWO OF THEM!) and a number of her books ... bought one when they first came out, have bought books along the way because I have the ruler .... and, I have NEVER used the ruler, NEVER!
Then there is the ruler that Bonnie Hunter recommends.
The book Twosy/Foursy ... and the ruler she recommends ...
The Lazy Angle (original) AND the book ...
many Marti Michell block series .... (I liked the concept ... but, as I purchased the ruler, I was buying books, and learning all sorts of shortcuts/rotary cutter stuff that pretty much left Marti in the bags, hanging on my supply wall)
There are more, but I have do go do chores ....
Dear Jane rulers and book ...
EZ quilt rulers ... not a clue as to how many .... after awhile, does it really matter?
I will say that I have a 1"x12" ruler that I did not buy ... but, for all my ability in rotary cutting ... I wouldn't use that thing to cut nothin'! - and >I< tend to be more adventursome than others ... so, it hangs on my wall, and once in awhile I use it for something ... can't even remember what ... but I didn't buy it ... got it as a grab bag from a quilt shop, if I remember correction ...
will continue with my confession ONLY so we can start that sister thread ... I am sure someone is going to mention a tool that they can't live without that I have never learned to use, even though I own it! LOL
Old 10-29-2009, 07:26 AM

I admit that I have many rulers that were mistakes and I dont use them.
The square in a square ruler by Jodi Barrows. Fons and Porters flying geese ruler and the triangle trimmers. Seams sew fast quide. Many others that I may use someday.
I use all my square rulers to square up squares. The 16 inch I use mostly to square up my quilts.
The rulers I use most are the 6 1/2 by 12 and 6 1/2 by 24, the Quilt in a Day flying geese ruler and the triangle square up ruler.
I also use the 1/2 inch Fons and Porter rulers so I have a line to follow since I cant seem to stitch a straight line.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:13 AM

Rose Marie! <wave>
Trust me ... <g> if you go get that Flying Geese x 4 ruler and book, you will never again use your eleanor burns flying geese rulers ... think of it!
Making four flying geese at one time and not having to trim ... one ruler, multiple sizes, AND! The book has 150 MORE blocks you can use this ruler for. AND! The ruler is designed to make flying geese from sizes
3/4"x 1-1/2" through 3.5"x7 inches ... one ruler!
without having to trim!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

omak...you are killing me :lol: :lol: another one??? my checkbook says "don't look" but my head says...."one little peek won't hurt anything.." :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 10-29-2009, 08:53 AM

<g> just one look ... based on an honest evaluation of making flying geese with at least five different techniques ... some of them are pretty fun, all right, but THIS technique is the most efficient ... and the gal that designed this stuff is GOOD!
Check out the link, go to the video ... watch that program, and you tell me ... I know for a fact that EB ... has TWO or more rulers to make different sizes of flying geese ... I love EB, but by golly!
This Lazy Angle gal is exceptional ...
<stepping calmly down from soap box> :wink:
Old 10-29-2009, 03:30 PM

You probably are NOT going to believe this, but I have a square ruler hanging on the supply wall, that has hung there for YEARS!
Every time .... EVERY TIME! I look at it, or move it, I think:
12" I know I bought a 15" square ruler, where did I put it?
And, I am being totally honest here ... that thought has gone through my head every time, for years!
and, I hate that square ruler because it isn't the 15 inch square ruler I remember buying a long time ago ...
on another thread, I got challenged to make a stack and slash star and I have been dinking with that project for a week or so, and today, I finally got the stars done, and thought ... okay, so the ruler is only twelve inches square ... I could really use that square ruler to square up those blocks ...
and!
I took it down, and thought - - WOW! that twelve inches sure looks big for twelve inches!
and it was
because
it was the fifteen inch ruler I thought I had lost! :shock:
sometimes, I should not be left alone! :roll:
all I can say is: If you think it is rough to have to live with a person such as I ... just think how hard it is to BE the person I is ... can you imagine?
I go to sleep every night KNOWING I am going to wake up the same way I was the day before! :? LOL
If I didn't laugh, I would have to CRY :cry:
Old 10-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

:-)
Old 10-29-2009, 04:12 PM

I've been keeping a list of all things you guys have that I've never heard of. Where have I been? My list is growing, soon I'll have to get out the legal pad. I thought I had all the rulers and yes I do use them. But the Lazy Girl one and the Flying Geese. Need to check, but I think those will be my next purchase. What do you use the Lazy Girl ruler for?
Old 10-29-2009, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Gramy
I've been keeping a list of all things you guys have that I've never heard of. Where have I been? My list is growing, soon I'll have to get out the legal pad. I thought I had all the rulers and yes I do use them. But the Lazy Girl one and the Flying Geese. Need to check, but I think those will be my next purchase. What do you use the Lazy Girl ruler for?
Well, so far <g> I have just looked at the book and the ruler, but!
Have you seen those blocks that have the peaky and spike in them? one ruler ... and the girl knows not wasting fabric!
did you go to the links I put in and look at the videos on Kaye Woods where the rulers were being demonstrated? I think they are worth the effort, just so you can evaluate the wisdom of your purchase ... the books the woman writes isn't just a few quilts to make ... it is actually a LOT of blocks and how to make them, using that ruler ...
The Lazy Angle ruler makes blocks up to six inch finished ... and the books has 250 different blocks ... you can use the ruler to cut the strips and the angles and make quilt blocks that have that pointy angle ...
the Flying Geese x 4 -- the book has 150 more blocks you can make with that ruler BESIDES the flying geese ...
Old 10-29-2009, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
:-)
what??? you resemble that remark or you have total sympathy for anyone within five feet of me? LOL