Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Many UFO's? >

How Many UFO's?

How Many UFO's?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:57 PM

I have a few UFOs - I really don't want to count them. Certainly there is less than 10.

I'm on a self enforced fabric moratorium - so that I can focus on these outstanding projects.

My goal is to only have 2 projects on the go at any one time.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:41 AM

This is why when I asked my ladies from supporting churches for their UFOs that they thought they might never finish...I got a lot of stuff!!!

I managed to finish a lot of them, give the stuff away as sets, or cut up the fabric and make charity quilts out of them.

I think it is a tendency of crafters...
Old 12-22-2010, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tropical
I don't worry about unfinished projects anymore unless I planned them as a gift. I used to fret a lot about not finishing things, like books and sewing projects, that I had started. Well, as I have gotten older (not old - Just older, maybe I should say more mature)I have decided if I got joy doing something while I was working on it or reading it - that is enough for now. Maybe someday I will finish everything or maybe not. I get so much joy from the creativity of planning and checking out my ideas that my brain is so active coming up with that I have given myself permission not to finish everything. I have found that my new attitude leaves me much more relaxed and fun to be around for my husband.
When I realized that my husband was this way about stuff, it helped me become more relaxed. I got frustrated about the house--why can't he finish up the projects, etc? Why do these things bother me and not him? Then, I read this article about how some people get the thrill out of the PROCESS and not the FINISHED PRODUCT. I realized that he is like that. He doesn't care if the house ever gets finished all the way. I wish it would.

But it helped my attitude. I so enjoy the sewing part (the creating of the top itself) but I don't mind the finishing up. If it isn't that great, I make it into a tied charity quilt. That way it is much faster and not a lot of frustration to me.

That isn't to say I have no UFOs...Haha. I'm going to post some pics in the pic section of some people who took charity quilts last Sat. at our big Christmas outreach. Some of you might be curious to notice which quilts some people chose to take.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:57 AM

2011 is my year to banish ufo's. My sewing and storage space is limited and they just take up too much room. The ones I truly decide not to finish will be dismantled and recycled into my stash. I don't have as many as some - maybe about six. maybe eight...
Old 12-22-2010, 03:01 AM

Since joining this board, I have come to realize in a few short months that there are many things to get us hung on a project and go on to the next. In my case I will start on a project then have to go on to another because I am either waiting for the backing to go on sale that I want or the batting. Then in the course of waiting for my sales I end up finding the perfect quilt to make for a gift that has a deadline. If I was able to get everything at one time and not have any additional projects for friends and family, I would be good. So for me with xmas coming this week I have a quilted wallet to finish for my DD,a lap quilt for a friend in Minn. that I need to finish the quilting, a dresden that is pieced that needs to be finished and 5 prs of pj's that are cut out and 2 partially done. I hope I can get at least 2 of this done by saturday. My family will wait till the jammies are done. They are all teens now. So that is only 8 things to finish. I hope to get stuff done on friday and thursday pm. If not oh well.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:23 AM

TOO many to list....i will get busy after the New Year..Isn't that what we all say :!:
Old 12-22-2010, 04:43 AM

Honey, you don't need help! That's the way its done. I bet I have at least ten projects started. I just move from one to the next to break the monotony. Whe I start finishing them, wow! I have all these things coming together at the same time! Gives youu a wonderful feeling of accomplishment!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:06 AM

too many
Old 12-22-2010, 05:12 AM

Too many.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by MissM
How many UFO's do you have? I am a new quilter and already I have five UFO's. I get started on a project, then I see something else I like and start it, or I see something I want to make for someone, or I get bored with the one I am working on and start a new one, or the season changes and so does my mood. The excuses go on and on. Oh what to do. Help!
I used to have a bunch of them, then I joined the UFO club at our LQS and in a year had them all done!!