Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many WIP and UFOs do you have? >

How many WIP and UFOs do you have?

How many WIP and UFOs do you have?

Old 11-15-2009, 08:53 AM
Bev

I've got a large bin labeled UFOs, and another one labeled Orphan Blocks. Whenever I'm between quilts (ha-ha), I work on something out of those bins. There are probably 12 to 15 UFOs, & quilts waiting to be hand quilted, plus a zillion Orphan Blocks. But little by little I'm getting to them. I realized on my last birthday (ugh!) that my time is running short so decided to finish what I started and not leave them for my Guild buddies to do it as so many others have. 8)
Old 11-15-2009, 01:36 PM

We have 17 tops in some stage of completion, most of them just lacking borders. We have one project pinned and ready to quilt on the machine, and one project almost finished with hand quilting. The new quilter is set up in the old spare bedroom with practice fabric and batting. We have doodled with it, but we really need to practice some specific quilting designs - Christmas is just a few weeks away!

We don't count fabric waiting for a pattern, or patterns waiting for fabric. If we haven't cut the fabric, it isn't a UFO yet.

Darren
Old 11-15-2009, 05:00 PM

Tx cutie Would you believe I have a daughter like you. Every thing in place God Bless you.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:21 PM

Too many to count!!! If I did cound I would probably cry because I have to have at least three done for Christmas presents!!!
Old 11-15-2009, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by TX_Cutie
I feel like the loan outsider here because I don't have any. I tend to be very methodic (some might call it anal retentive :oops: ) and finish each project after I start it. But I love to buy fabric and patterns with the intention of making something. If we're counting patterns or saved web links to patterns, then I'm well over 20.

The closest thing I've got to a UFO is a ball of yarn attached to some knitting needles. I bought them thinking that I'd teach myself to knit and did indeed practice a few rows of stitches. Now it's just bundled together in a bag on my shelf. I could never figure out how to purl. :evil:
Well TX, you and I must be kindred spirits. I never finished anything I started until I started quilting. I would get interested and inspired, realized I stunk at it, then give up. Piano, crocheting, plastic mesh cross stitch, cross stitch, scrapbooking, painting ceramics...lots of stuff.

I liked my first, and only, quilting class so much I knew this was what I wanted to do. I have 3 wips that I just finished the tops and they'll be ready for my kids to unwrap at Christmas. I'm sewing on the binding of my first quilt for commission. I have one UFO. It didn't start that way, but now it's turned into a QFH (quilt from he**). If I can keep cranking quilts out and know I only have one UFO, I'll be good. Once I have the 3 tops into quilts, I'll be ready to start my next project.

I don't have spare fabric. Never spare room or spare money. I usually buy all the fabric I need for the top, then pick a backing when it's done. But I do have a collection of patterns and potential quilts in my internet bookmarks and my head.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Originally Posted by TX_Cutie
I feel like the loan outsider here because I don't have any. I tend to be very methodic (some might call it anal retentive :oops: ) and finish each project after I start it. But I love to buy fabric and patterns with the intention of making something. If we're counting patterns or saved web links to patterns, then I'm well over 20.

The closest thing I've got to a UFO is a ball of yarn attached to some knitting needles. I bought them thinking that I'd teach myself to knit and did indeed practice a few rows of stitches. Now it's just bundled together in a bag on my shelf. I could never figure out how to purl. :evil:
Well TX, you and I must be kindred spirits. I never finished anything I started until I started quilting. I would get interested and inspired, realized I stunk at it, then give up. Piano, crocheting, plastic mesh cross stitch, cross stitch, scrapbooking, painting ceramics...lots of stuff.

I liked my first, and only, quilting class so much I knew this was what I wanted to do. I have 3 wips that I just finished the tops and they'll be ready for my kids to unwrap at Christmas. I'm sewing on the binding of my first quilt for commission. I have one UFO. It didn't start that way, but now it's turned into a QFH (quilt from he**). If I can keep cranking quilts out and know I only have one UFO, I'll be good. Once I have the 3 tops into quilts, I'll be ready to start my next project.

I don't have spare fabric. Never spare room or spare money. I usually buy all the fabric I need for the top, then pick a backing when it's done. But I do have a collection of patterns and potential quilts in my internet bookmarks and my head.
Guess that makes us triplets. I think my "need" to not have UFO goes back to my many years of knitting. If I left a knitting project unfished, I would either have to rip a row or two, or I would end up with a line in the garment from where it sat too long on the needles. So...habit? more "Monkness"? I dont' know, but I do know that I also dont' have the room to have too much on the go...my sewing room is not much more than an oversized closet. Right now, I have on the go, a lap quilt that is completed but for the last of the handquilting, so that gets worked on in front of the tube, a king size quilt, top done and ready to sandwich, (it will come to work with me this week so I can use the table in our boardroom), and lastly, I am working on 3 C'mas runners....1 done, two ready to quilt. They are going to Canada, so I have to get them done and in the mail soon. Lots of projects in my head, so I will never be short of what to do next. Hmmm...maybe it will be "my" turn soon. About 3 -4 years ago, I bought the fabric to make a quilt and matching curtains for our BR. It is still waiting. :(
Old 11-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Power Poster

I can't believe anyone knows the answer to this question :shock: :shock: I have no idea how many :oops: :oops: , and I do not want to know the answer :roll: :roll: But I do know I don't have as many as I will have this time next year :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 11-15-2009, 06:14 PM

yikes! I just get way too much started, working fulltime and busy on weekends don't allow me much "free" time, however, that doesnt' stop me at all apparently because I have:

1. a holiday lap quilt sandwiched, and started trying my hand at stippling
2. a crumb lap quilt started wild and warm colors (4 blocks done)

3. a crumb lap quilt w blue tone-started (6 blocks done)

4. a BOM queen size quilt started -all the blocks done but the last one needs to be sewn. Sashing, borders, and sandwich and quilting still wip.
(looks good on the design wall)

5. a Christmas wall hanging almost done, just needs some quilting and embellishments

6. Sweatshirt to finish and decorate, neighbor waiting on me to finish mine before she starts on hers. (I personally wouldn't wait to see what mine looks like)

Umm that might be all, possibly, perhaps, the good news is I just finished a small baby quilt and a baby animal blanket last week, only because the baby shower was last week :wink:
Old 11-15-2009, 08:46 PM

I have too many I know that. I just cannot seem to resist the fabric when it talks to me in the store. But maybe that doesn't count. When I get my sewing room finished and put thing in it in an organized way, I plan to make a list of the UFO's and projects waiting to be started. Maybe that will give me some will power to not buy until I have finished something.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:17 AM

I have several tops done waiting for the right occasion to be completed. I plan it that way so I guess I DON't feel bad about it! I like having UFO & WIP keeps me from getting bored!!!!!