Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you actually have sewing studio/room >

How many of you actually have sewing studio/room

How many of you actually have sewing studio/room

Old 02-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

I do! I have my sewing machine and stuff on the main level in a room with lots of natural daylight. Am on mail level, as downstairs it can get cold, which doesn't help my fibromyalgia. I also have a room for my longarm.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 AM

I have half the basement as a laundry/sewing/scrapping room.
DH recently placed several pieces of white peg board to help with storage and recently replaced an old desk with an actual sewing table. It's slowly but surely coming together!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:19 AM

Since I live alone, I am in a studio apartment so my sewing area is in the middle of my living room. I am in the process of organzing my fabric stash.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

Before I started quilting I did cross stitch and crochet. I didn't need a room or much space for that. About six months after I started quilting I knew I had to have a room of my own. DH had a shop, the kids each had their own bedroom. ? Where was my room? Either two of the kids would have to share a room or I take over the tv/den/hangout room. Me not having a room wan't an option any more. One day when everyone was gone I converted the den to my sewing room. I hired someone to move the furniture to a rented storage until I could find a place for it. We moved a few years later and I made sure I had a dedicated sewing room.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:22 AM

I don't. We live in a mobile home too and there just isn't enough room for me to have a room to myself. DH says it's a good thing I don't as it would have much, much more stuff than I have at the moment!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 AM

I have my own sewing room, but it is small.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:25 AM

I also have my own quilt studio. Ten years ago, I was reading a quilt magazine that featured an article written by Alex Anderson. In it, she said that until she realized that quilting was her passion, she also was sewing on the dining room table and in the bedroom. When she discovered the passion she realized that she had to make room for it in her life and home. It was a defining moment for her and for me too. I immediately set about converting my daughter's old bedroom into my quilt studio...I took out the bed and dressers and it's all mine. Not as fancy as Anna's but all mine and I go in there and create. I am not nor will ever be a world-class quilter but I produce quilts and am so happy I found my passion.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:27 AM

My husband is working on me a separate room now. I hope to have it finished by the end of summer.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:27 AM

When my youngest got married I took over her bedroom. It is only 10 x 11 but I have it jam packed. Works for me.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:31 AM

Mine is in a bedroom on our main level - there are just the two of us in the house, and when guests come to visit, they sleep in the lower level,so we decided a sewing room would be a good use. The laundry room is in there, and instead of a "regular" closet, we put shelves in for yarn/fabric/misc. storage.

I also have a large space in the lower level family room (which isn't used as such) for my longarm and all the stuff I have that goes along with that.

DH finally decided he needed to claim some space for himself and created a "man cave" in one of the bedrooms in the lower level. That meant I had to find a new storage place for batting, etc. I think he was telling me that I really didn't need to take over three rooms in the house!