Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you quilt your own quilts?

I couldn't afford to have my tops quilted by someone else, and I don't think I'd feel the quilts were quite mine if I did. I recently invested in a Janome 7700, replacing another Janome that wasn't good for quilting. With the help of Leah Day and her Quilt Along, my FMQ is improving rapidly and I'm beginning to enjoy it instead of seeing it as a necessary evil! I keep things simple, and sometimes stick to stitch in the ditch.

I hand quilt all my quilts except for the borders and I machine quilt them. I am retired and I enjoy doing them as
    I am in no hurry. It is just what works for each individual. KEEP QUILTING.
    "BIG SKY COUNTRY"

I tried quilting my own but even SITD turned out terrible. I don't like that part of the process and like someone else said, I like the pieceing and I love applique. If I had to quilt my tops, I wouldn't have any done. I say, do whatever makes you happy . If I had to quilt my own tops, I probably would stop sewing. Yes, sending them out to be LAQed is expensive but well worth the money IMHO.
    Marilyn

i just got a used long arm and am practicing with it. befor that i had a phaff with a 9" throte on a frame and befor that i just stipled using my regular machine. that was a chore. i could never aford to send mine out quilting around here is fairly expensive.

I hand quilt all of mine..Someday I would like to buy a machine I can quilt with, but my $99 Singer just isn't it!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I gave up the guilt of not quilting my own a long time ago. I hate and I mean really hate ..quilting anything over a lap size quilt.
    So many L/A pros are artists with what they can do, that I will continue to explore and go further with my art of piecing, and leave the quilting to a PRO. I would rather eat mac &cheese , cheap bologna sandwiches , even give up ice cream ( and I really love ice cream) than quilt a big quilt myself.
    Sending my quilts to a pro , is the best gift I can give myself
    High 5 to all of that! I would love to learn both hand and machine quilting someday...just not today.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

I have never sent one of my quilts out...I'm too cheap! I'd rather spend money on more fabric.

I started out hand quilting them all (nearly 30 years ago), but now am fairly comfortable FMQing on my vintage Bernina Record 830. The largest I've done is a queen, but then I don't have a king sized bed in my house. My early attempts were pretty sorry...I started out with table runners and baby quilts, but I'm getting better with each one.

I still hand quilt at least one quilt a year, usually a reproduction or applique one.

I do all the quilting on my domestic pfaff, even king size.
    we don't have that many LAQ around here and it's too expensive for me to let one of them quilt for me.
    and I'm pretty proud of myself if I can say I did the whole quilt on my own
    greetz, fien
    http://quiltfien.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I do my own. I either hand quilt them or put them on my frame and LA them.
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

Blog Entries
    I quilt my own baby quilts and lap quilts. Anything bigger than that goes to Long Arm Quilter! I know I "could" do it--but to me it takes the fun out of making big tops...

I usually do quilt all most of mine. I get an idea of how I want them to look when they are finished and I have to do it myself because I can't explain to someone else how it is suppose to be. I hand quilt some, especially if they are 30's prints or I use my mom's long arm and machine quilt them.

LAQ because I am still learning and not comfortable doing my own. When I spend a lot of money and time on a quilt I don't want to be mad at myself for ruining my own quilt because I am not ready

I do my own and my customers on my Gammill...I love it, it's one of my favorite parts of quilting...
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I didn't know I COULD have someone else quilt it until I joined this Board. I have no idea what it costs, but will explore once I move onto anything bigger than a lap quilt!

I took a class at my LQS to learn how to use their longarm, which includes 2 free hours. Once I use up the one-time 2 free hours, it'll be $15 an hour.

I do my own on a Handi quilter frame and a Juki mid-arm. When I needed to have my first quilt done, I was too embarrassed to send it to anyone! Now I like doing my own. If there is a mistake, it's mine and I can't blame anyone!

I have only tacked mine over the years. But want to learn to quilt mine. Many of my Aunts still hand quilt so I am hoping its in the gene pool. hahaha Teresa

I use my embroidery machine to quilt my quilts at this point. I have the quilter's kit with my machine but just haven't gotten up the spunk to do this yet, but I'm getting closer to being there...LOL,LOl This is obviously a process for me and I'm getting there little by little. If the quit is king sized tho I send it off.
    I did purchase a lesson from Craftsy before Chrismas on FMQ and will eventually do it when I can find a day when I can sit down and concentrat on doing it. hope that day is SOON!
    Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

Blog Entries
    I have only made 3 quilts (so far), and I decided to jump all the way in right from the start. I used quilting walking foot to do stitch in the ditch on the first one. On the borders I used a different foot and a computerized decorative stitch. Then I took a craftsy quilting class and started practicing fmq and did that on the 2nd & 3rd quilt. Does it look like a novice quilted them? Yes, but you have to look for mistakes to see them. If you look at the quilts as a whole from a little ways back, I think they turned out pretty good. Since I'm new to all of this, I told myself the mistakes are part of learning. 1/4" seams, piecing errors, trouble getting sandwich all smoothed out, and quilting mistakes are a part of the learning process. I do take great pride in being able to say I did the whole quilt myself from start to finish! But, to everyone who sends them out, more power you; do what's best for you and makes you happy with the end result!
    Mavis

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
    I do all my own quilting - that's why I make tops. Most of mine are hand quilted, with a few done by machine.

Janet
    I also do all my own quilting - some by machine, more by hand - that is why I have over 50 quilt tops to quilt

I have found it is far too expensive to send out quilts for LAQ and I like to be in control of the quilt design and how much quilting is done on the quilt. If I sent a double bed quilt to a LAQ, it would probably cost me around $200-$250and the quilt top might not even have $50 worth of fabric in it to start with.
    QB Albums: Street Directory Quilt; Selvedge Quilts;

I think that quilting my own tops is my favorite part of the whole quilting process! I just love it and hope to one day have my own long arm to make it even more fun!!

I've always done all of it from start to finish. My first two (years apart!) were tied. Then I learned to FMQ and did them on my domestic machine. I kept looking at the long arms longingly and one year we got quite a bit back on our taxes and DH said if I wanted one, now was the time! I was able to buy a Voyager 17 with a stitch regulator and a Hinterberg Stretch frame! I've gotten pretty fair at it and they look better all the time. I occasionally do quilting for others, but I'm not really in business. I'm retired now, and want to keep it a hobby I enjoy.

I have quilted all of mine myself. I did the first ones on my domestic, but I have a sweet 16 sit down now which makes it much easier. I just like the idea of doing all the work myself.

Pam

I have done all my own quilts and always will as long as I quilt. Baby size to full, and working on a huge king now. I am a total free spirit and like the freedom of doing what I want when I want on my quilts. I use an old Singer 15 to quilt on, works perfect. No desire here to ever have a long arm. I am quite content.

I also do my own with my sewing machine.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast