Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much do you pay for yearly maintanence on your machine? >

How much do you pay for yearly maintanence on your machine?

How much do you pay for yearly maintanence on your machine?

Old 10-10-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I took my two machines in for their yearly checkups about 2 months ago. When I got the bill back for a general checkup and cleaning the cost was $350!

The machines I took in were: Singer Confidence Quilter (Was charged $200 for that one because it's "electronic") and $120 for my White (from the 70s or 80s) because of its "age".

Is that normal to pay? I didn't even pay that for the White.

Plus, I'm fanatical about cleaning my machines and oiling them.

I wouldn't want to know what this place (an hour drive for me) would charge for my older machines.

So, what do you all pay? Did I pay way too much?
I am amazed that so many people take their machines in for yearly maintenance. My old Kenmore is way too hard to get out of the cabinet and so heavy that I might slip a disk carrying it. It's been in the shop two times in 53 years. I took my Janome 4800 to the shop to get the needle threader fixed--they didn't get it fixed--and I suppose they did some cleaning, but since it is electronic and I have been told that it needs no oil since all the oil spots are sealed--I just keep it brushed out and as clean as I can. I subscribe to the theory that "if it ain't broke, it don't need no fixin." froggyintexas
Old 10-10-2011, 11:50 AM

Mine is about $75 or so. I usually only take it in if it needs something. Oh, it's a 1976 Singer Futura II 920. In all the years I've owned it, I've only had it serviced maybe 4 times.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:35 PM

I have and electronic machine with all the bells and gadgets and it was only $85.00...Was there a problem with your machines?
Old 10-10-2011, 01:14 PM

I've had machines for years I oil and clean them and don't service them unless they are broke. So far I haven't had to service any of my three machines so after reading this expense I feel I got a bargain!
Old 10-10-2011, 01:24 PM

I pay around $70. (Electronic and older ones) I don't take mine in yearly. I'm really not convinced it needs it. I'm like you and oil and clean mine myself all the time. Of course some areas of the country or higher than others, but that seems too high.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:31 PM

I love my service/repair/fabric store. If you buy your machine from them, the first cleaing is free. All other times it's been about $50 for each of my 5 different machines. Parts are extra of course but only the blade on my serger has needed replacing and that was only $3. The family (3 generations) that manage & work there are the kindness, most personable people you could ever want to spend time with. They even do a maintenance workshop for our guild every few years and you learn so much from them during it.
Not sure what they did for you but I'd be looking for another shop. Just my opinion.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:17 PM

I pay $98.00 + tax and if they need any replacement parts such as bobbin holders, new needle threaders, or major parts that is extra. I pay $125.00 for my Brother as it has a lot more parts and there is more to it then my Viking.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:18 PM

I don't really take mine in for maintenance. I am like you about keeping my machines cleaned and oiled. I clean and oil the bobbin case every single time I change a bobbin. After every project or approximately 8 hours of sewing I completely clean my machine of lint and oil it completely if it is an older machine. I've never had any problems with my machines. I also NEVER sew over pins so the machines do not get out of time. Now...I have gone over heavy seams and let the needle plate slip away from the leveling pad and the needle has hit the foot and busted. This always leaves a nick in the foot but emory paper smoothes out these nicks and then I check the timing carefully to ensure it hasn't knocked the machine out of timing. I am a bad example to other sewers but unlike my car that I am fanatical about taking in for regular oil changes and scheduled maintenance I never take in my machines unless there is a problem which is extremely rare. I believe that one time I took one machine in for maintenance because I moved and it was stuck in transit and storage for three months so just to be safe I took it in for maintenance. It was my Bernina 1630, an electronic machine and I paid $60 but that was probably 6 or 7 years ago. I wonder why the cost was so high for your machines? Was there quite a bit of build-up of old oil? Did it need parts replaced? I just purchased an old Singer 301 off ebay and the first thing I did was take it apart, clean it and oil it completely. I took apart the tension knob and cleaned it and put it back together to make sure nothing was broken. It runs like a charm! The older the machines, the easier it is to clean and maintain them, in my humble opinion! Also...never, never, never use anything but high-quality sewing machine oil. Other oils will thicken up and clog your machine. My ex once told me I should use some oil out of his garage..something like D&1 or other multi-purpose oil that did show a picture of a sewing machine...but I called the local sewing machine dealership and he said NO! Never! I hope you get a lot of worry-free miles on those machines!

Vanessa in Oklahoma
Old 10-10-2011, 02:34 PM

the price of a nice steak dinner.

my DH does all the work on all of my machines.

once i starting sewing i purchased him a book on sewing machine repair to keep the costs down.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:42 PM

my pfaff serger and brother 6000 together I paid 165.- for my brother innovis 4000 D i paid 100.-