Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much would you charge to make this? >

How much would you charge to make this?

How much would you charge to make this?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

way more than anyone in their right mind would be willing to pay.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:08 PM

The kit owner obviously has really good taste. I LOVE that quilt pattern and everything about it! Granted that non-quilters are "in the dark" about labor & care involved, but it is very possible she won't quibble about the price, once you determine how much to ask. But as I said earlier and others have said also, I wouldn't seal the deal with just a handshake ... mainly because the kit is her property ... a gray area should she decide that she does not want to cough up the $$$$ when you are finished.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

i had a wise quilter tell me once when someone asks what it would cost to have a queen size quilt made for them, with them providing the materials the answere is;;;$500 and up, what do you have in mind? so, that being said...i do think $500 should be the smallest amount, but really i have made this quilt, it is BEAUTIFUL! and really was easier than it looks...if you want to make it and don't want to charge her so much, figure out an hourly amount (like the earlier mentioned $20 per hour, look over the pattern, think about your quilting capabilities and speed and give her a time estimate or range...like 40-60 hours what ever you think...but estimate high...that way if you get it done and decide it wasn't so bad and didn't take so long...was fun to make you could give her a price break in the end. she would think she was getting a great deal and you would still be covered. i hate doing this type of projects for people! i much prefer to make a quilt, show it off, and when someone says....oooh i love it is it for sale? i can say yes and give them a price...seems like much less stress that way ;) remember...people who do not quilt have no idea what goes into creating such an item...be prepared by finding quilts for sale, in the price range you are thinking and printing off some samples so you can show her it is not just you wanting to take advantage but this is really what it takes...
Old 06-09-2010, 03:48 PM

I don't think 800.00 to make this quilt is to high. There is a lot peicing and applique. Not to mention the quilting..and the cost of the fabric.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:05 PM

Wow! You guys are high!! You know its worth that and so do I, but I live in S. Indiana and I just cant charge nearly that much! I wish!!
Old 06-09-2010, 04:06 PM

Forgive me, I know it's off topic and that everyone always asks this question...but for those who have the pattern, what is it and where would it be available? I have googled to see if I could find it myself, but to no avail. My Mom has Canada Geese aplenty in her backyard and it's a private joke how she dislikes them, so I've always wanted to make her a quilt to tease her. This one is beautiful and so she would love it. Even better, it only has four geese instead of the 60 some in her back yard. Thanks for your help...Thank you for showing us the pattern...thank you!! :)
Old 06-09-2010, 04:34 PM

http://www.timetoquilt.com/quilts.htm Its called October Sky
Old 06-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

Wow, its beautiful! I think I would charge by the hour too!
Old 06-09-2010, 05:15 PM

I also have this pattern. $800 might be enough if quilting is not included. With quilting, I think $1200 would still be fair.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by hcarpanini
Wow! You guys are high!! You know its worth that and so do I, but I live in S. Indiana and I just cant charge nearly that much! I wish!!
This wouldn't just be "a quilt," it's an heirloom!!!