Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: how neat are you?

This is Funny..... Mine goes both ways, fairly organized, with the occasional pileup, Train wreck not cars!! :)

Mary Cute lil Helper :)

Mine may look messy, but I can find something if and when I need it. Several projects going and at different stages. I just remember that Einstein had a messy desk!! :)

I guess you could say I work well in organized chaos! I have a very small room to sew in along with a big stash. Right now I'm set up in the living room to have a space to do my machine quilting. I always have about at least 10 projects on the go! One thing I can say is that I never get bored, and thank goodness I have an understading husband I guess he's a keeper! :)

Mary, how did that little cutie make such a great big mess?

I am messy but I do have to clean up in between projects. I can only handle so much! LOL

Hint I learned (forget to use when just piecing) when I took a class on a longarm---pin a piece of batting to your shirt and put your cut threads there instead of tossing on floor or into basket. Threads stick to the batting and stay there unless you rub against something.....

I clean up at the end of the night when Im sewing, I cant work in a messy area, Im not a neat freak, but my sewing area has gone from 12x27 to 9x9, with a twin bed in there, so its pretty small. I get frustrated if I cant find something!

I am usually pretty neat, try to clean up at the end of the day. My sewing room is in our bonus room so I do have to share the space. It is also where my grandson who is 4 plays his video games so I really make sure to keep all the cutting tools and pins put up. I am bad about leaving fabric out though.

We're supposed to be neat?!? :shock:

I guess you could say my sewing room has an "organized chaos" motif. I try really hard to keep things put up, but am not always successful. But I do know where everything is! :mrgreen:

My floor is hardwood (well, laminate) with a rug under my sewing chair. That rug catches EVERYTHING. I keep a trash can right beside me, and even have an empty cashew can on my table to toss snippets of thread and tiny bits of fabric in, but stuff STILL ends up in the floor somehow. Drives me crazy! :lol:

my room looks like a tornado,,..i sew ,and then clean...or try to..and put away fabrics or notions i have gotten out, but i tend to do it all after each project..

I can't seem to sew or embroidery without making a disaster out of my sewing room. I clean it up and then with the next project it gets the same way

My house is neat and orderly but my sewing room......let's just say, I can't be neat AND creative at the same time!

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    My room isn't always this bad. We had 10 people living here most of the summer. My sewing room was used for more than just sewing. I didn't get much quilting done but we all sure had a good time.

I too normally clean between projects. It doesn't look that bad anymore but it isn't spotless either.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Remember how Edward Scissorhands made it snow by creating ice sculptures? That's me when I sew---snippets, threads, pins, fabric, bobbins, scissors, flying every direction. I'm my own war zone and I'm dangerous. Then when I'm done with my project I look around in amazement wondering where all the mess came from.

Blog Entries
    Depends on what kind of a day my DH is having. He is OCD so if he has had a loud day about the DGK's stuff being out of place or what not, or my room being messy, and I am frustrated at hearing him, I might not clean up just because I don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by katmom54
    a messy work area is a sign of creative genius...
    Well, then, it's official. I'm a genius. And from the mess in my sewing area, a high-level genius, too.

Blog Entries
    yep, my sewing room is messy - i do try to keep a path thru the middle b/c i have to get in and press something everyday. but because i do mostly embroideried (sp) blocks i have embroidery thread on rings all over the place. i have 4 plastic boxes of embroidery thread. almost every color that coats & clark has made (400+) all filed by number. love my thread like most of you love material.

I live in a house full of geniuses!

I am very neat...same with my cooking. Guess it is just anal; but works for me lol.

I am just greatful my sewing room has a door.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'm not - neat that is. Recently, I cleaned my sewing space and when it was all neat and tidy I could not work in the room. I'd go in, look around, and decide that it was too neat to mess up again. WELL, I have since remedied that problem. lol

As long as I can push aside project 1-2-and 3 to make room for cutting #4 - no problem!!!

Blog Entries
    I'm kind of a neat freak when it comes to my sewing area, I guess I just can't work in chaos! That being said, when I really get into a project, sometimes the rest of my housework suffers! :D

I'm a person who's working on 5 or 6 things at the same time and my quilt studio is a disaster area. Yes, I sometimes get to the point that I can't stand it another minute, then I stop all activity....put everything away and start again.....but that's usually in the middle of the night when I can't sleep and don't feel like sewing!

So neat that it has taken three weeks to reorganize into a new sewing room. I am getting close to finishing the room, but not all the pressing. :~( Every dang piece of fabric has been washed and pressed because I wasn't sure which I had done. A blonde thing ... LOL!
    I also got rid of every thing that was cardboard. I hate that smell.
    But. while I am creating, the place can get messy, for sure. I have purchased a small tower of drawers that I keep the ongoing projects into. It helps me to not put it away where I forget about it. Know what I mean?

Please don't call yourself a slob. Your mind is busy with ideas, and cleaning is not an inspirational task. I can bribe myself to clean the sewing room by planning to select fabrics for a new project when I'm done. Just like a little kid, I need an incentive.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast