Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How not to store batting. >

How not to store batting.

How not to store batting.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:46 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Just a thought, might little critters have eaten the plastic?
Old 04-23-2018, 07:53 AM

I had some left-over bamboo batting also. I was able to use it, but I won't purchase bamboo batting ever again. It does seem to deteriorate and lose its softness much quicker than the traditional Warm and Natural or Dream Cotton. Oh well, at least we are trying to utilize what we have!
Old 04-23-2018, 08:00 AM

I too think that if the batting is deteriorating into little plastic pieces on the shelf, the same thing would happen in the quilt. I don’t think I would make the effort to get the plastic pieces off or even use it. I might also call the manufacturer and see if there is some explanation.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:19 AM

I am guessing it is the plastic bag it was stored in that has not degraded- not the batting itself which should not be composed of plastic.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I guess I have another take on this. If the batting is breaking down on the shelf, wouldn't it have also broken down in a quilt? Or is it possible that it was that way (damaged) when you bought it and you couldn't tell until you opened it up to use it? It sounds more like a manufacturing defect to me.
My first thought, as well.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:15 AM

I read this as the bag breaking down, not the batting. Another way not to store batting is in a not quite closed rolling tote in a room the dog frequents. My Pellon interfacing for my table runner is in the washer right now. There was a dark line on the fold.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:45 PM

I agree, could be the plastic bag it was stored in and not the batting. Another thought though, does the batting have a scrim? Scrim is often a thin plastic. I would call the manufacturer and ask and mention what happened (even though you've had it for a couple of years, I would still call). They may have an idea of how to capture the plastic pieces. Can you shake it out or hang it out on a clothes line and let a breeze shake off the plastic?
Old 04-23-2018, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by RJLinkletter View Post
I am guessing it is the plastic bag it was stored in that has not degraded- not the batting itself which should not be composed of plastic.
That's what I was thinking. I don't think bamboo batting would have plastic in it.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:32 AM

Thank you all for your thoughts.Very definitely not the batting breaking down. It is still beautiful and soft. It is the bag(sorry, i should have been more specific). There is a layer of plastic fragments that look like broken glass on the outside of the batt that is folded up and had never been opened. Also very much not critter damage because the fragments crumble when touched.
I will take it outside today and try to vacuum the clingy bits off and will try the lint roller as well.
I will be transferring my other stored battings to something other than plastic bags as well. I always left them in the bags to keep the size and content with them and the dust off of them but I will have to pin a note to them and cover them with a piece of fabric. Rolls do sound like a better way to go.

Last edited by coffeecozy; 04-24-2018 at 03:36 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I guess I have another take on this. If the batting is breaking down on the shelf, wouldn't it have also broken down in a quilt? Or is it possible that it was that way (damaged) when you bought it and you couldn't tell until you opened it up to use it? It sounds more like a manufacturing defect to me.
That was my first thought. Thank heavens you didn't put it inside a quilt! Are you sure you want to save this?