Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How not to store batting. >

How not to store batting.

How not to store batting.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:19 AM

Boy, I was confused too, it's the plastic bag, not the batting that is the problem. I wouldn't put it in the dryer though cause all those little pieces would transfer to the next load or worse yet, stay in the dryer drum and melt!
Old 04-24-2018, 04:31 AM

Yes, I thought I had said it was the bag but when I went back and looked I realized that I hadn't.
I was hoping to warn anyone else who stored batting in plastic bags because I sure hadn't thought the bag would break down so fast as well as figure out how to clean up the bits.
The bamboo batting is gorgeous and soft but I no longer know the brand because the bag is too deteriorated. I am not worried at all that the batting will be a problem once it is cleaned up.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:03 AM

I use my old, torn fitted mattress sheets to cover the batting rolls. Breathable and easy to get out when I need batting. The rolls stand upright in one of those pop-up net hampers with handles.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by coffeecozy View Post
Yes, I thought I had said it was the bag but when I went back and looked I realized that I hadn't.
I was hoping to warn anyone else who stored batting in plastic bags because I sure hadn't thought the bag would break down so fast as well as figure out how to clean up the bits.
The bamboo batting is gorgeous and soft but I no longer know the brand because the bag is too deteriorated. I am not worried at all that the batting will be a problem once it is cleaned up.
I thought right away that it was a plastic bag that had held the batt. I would have taken it outdoors and tried to shake most of it off, but I understand that it would be difficult. How about some anti static spray. I have some of that here.
When I cleaned my husband's office I found a stack of soda crackers still in the plastic sleeve. That plastic couldn't even last long enough to carry the crackers to the kitchen. That problem was easy to solve. Broom and dustpan.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:48 AM

If all else fails, try storing the item on pool rollers.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:43 AM
mac

I agree with the others who said to call the manufacturer and report this. Not only to help yourself, but to let the manufacturer know that this has happened and that their bags are not holding up as they should. You should not have to take on the tiresome task of doing this yourself, as it is the manufacturer responsibility to put their product in bags that do not degrade over time. Or, if they know that this is happening, then they should state this problem on the bag so that customers know to take the batting out of the bag and toss the bag right away. The manufacturer should replace your batting at no cost to you.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:58 AM

Well, you know, we all complain that plastic lasts forever, so many folks would look at a bio-degradable plastic bag as a "plus." And if she had been able to look at the bag, it might have said it was bio-degradable. So I think this is one to just chalk up to a bit of bad luck, and get out the vacuum.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:01 AM

I have had many packaged batts for years and never have seen the bags get this way. I go through them from time to time looking for a particular size so I'm sure I would have noticed. It seems to be that particular brand.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:52 AM

Yes, I have to agree with you Garden Gnome, I am pleased to see something packed in an environmentally kind package and will chalk it up to a learning thing. There isn't anything left with printing on it to see if it ever said that it would degrade and so just in case, I will re-think my storage for the future. I like the old fitted sheet wraps so I think I will try that.
Maviskw that is interesting, I never thought about plastic breaking down with the food still in it. I've never had a pack of crackers last long enough to discover that one myself.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:34 AM

This is so weird - I have had plastic bags stored for years and never thought a thing about it. Yesterday I read this thread. A friend of mine is gifting me her entire sewing items. In a plastic drawer set was a drawer full of little plastic bags, the ones smaller than 12 inch squares. It was obvious they had been in there for years! So I was pulling them out to put in a recycling bag (we take them to the grocery store to have them restyled) and one shattered. No other way to describe it - the little bag looked like it broke into so many tiny pieces and most looked like little shards of glass. They weren't sharp they only looked that way. Until I read this thread I had no idea this would happen.