Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to Survive a Quilt Expo >

How to Survive a Quilt Expo

How to Survive a Quilt Expo

Old 03-05-2014, 01:52 PM

Good idea.
Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
I like using a back pack to put small purchases in because I still have my hands free. Usually will keep my charge card in a small pocket around my neck. Good Luck
Old 03-05-2014, 02:07 PM

The quilt expos I've been to stipulate no cameras, so you might check ahead on that before taking one in with you.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:07 PM

This is going to sound expensive. my mother in law and I go together and rent an electric scooter. we load it with as many bags as we can for carrying things and take turns driving while the other runs interference. if you do this I recommend baby wearing. the little one won't be in the way if he/she is strapped in.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:15 PM

My only other recommendation is to dress in lighter weight clothing that you would normally for the weather. A short sleeve t-shirt and sweater are probably about all you are going to need. Leave the heavy coat/sweatshirt in the car. And definitely comfy shoes! Maybe you and grandmom could share the cost of a different babysitter???? so you could both have a more fun-filled day.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
The grandmother IS the sitter. I would prefer not to go with the baby, but I can't go Friday, and can't imagine dealing with the Saturday crowd.
Quilt shows aren't always more crowded on Saturdays, since a good portion of quilters are older and retired.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:47 PM

Well it sounds like the baby being left is not an option. Just be prepared for break times for bottles and diapers. This could work to your benefit. A nice break will help those tired feet. Make a list of things you plan to look for. I get overwhelmed with so much new and pretty stuff that I forget what I really needed. Have lots of fun.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:04 PM

Snacks in your purse (or baby bag)
Comfy shoes
Get there early - take frequent breaks - leave late

Maybe you and your friend can take turns going through the vendors area aisle by aisle. One can sit down with the baby while the other shops with great ease...not worrying about a stroller.

Above all else, have fun.

Nan
Old 03-05-2014, 05:05 PM

Our expo said no wheeled carts but strollers were ok. Saw one lady with a BIG stroller...but no baby....she used it to carry all her and her friends stuff. She was very rude about walking in front of people, pushing the stroller and blocking huge areas. 3 or 4 people could occupy the area she would park the stroller. She had no problem pushing the stroller down the isle, but wasn't watching where she was going, just gawking at everything. She ran into me several times, but I had enough when she hit a lady hard enough to knock her down. I went and found a security guard and informed him what happened. Now they check to make sure a baby is actually in the stroller. My husband and I do a trade show every year, rules state NO children under the age of 16 admitted on the trade show floor. Now I would not go that far for quilt shows, but I think if they cannot walk on their own, then they should be left home. I worked for many years for a pediatric office and I am used to crying and screaming kids, but I do not wish to listen to that at an event that I am there to enjoy. Sorry, just my own opinion and not meaning to anger any parent.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

Bring address labels! That makes it so easy to register for all the give aways. I had labels printed with my name, phone number and email just for booth give aways.
The baby may sleep the whole time but then again may decide the noise and stimulation will be too much. The fact the grandmother is the sitter doesn't mean she can't hire a sitter. I baby sit my infant grandson during the day but I use a sitter for times it will be better for him to stay home when I want to go somewhere. I would want to spend the day at an Expo not just a couple of hours so maybe you can go back by yourself the next day.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:13 PM

Thursday and Friday will be crazy busy. Saturday will be the best day to view without so many people.
Start at one end and work down each and every row. I did that and still saw different things I missed the previous passes.
Take your camera and extra batteries so you can take pictures.
Take a water bottle.
Sorry, but a quilt show is no place for a baby. The booths aren't set up for strollers. Do yourself and your friend a favor, get a babysitter.

Last edited by berryberry; 03-05-2014 at 06:17 PM.